Heroes 4 +Vista

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
iceberg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes 4 +Vista

Unread postby iceberg » 18 Nov 2008, 20:04

I cant get Heroes 4 to run on Vista (Home Premium 64bit), all I can get is B.S.O.D.!! I have patched it to v3.0 and I've tried the compatability mode to run it.
I'd like to play this great game again, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful :)
Thanks iceberg

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 18 Nov 2008, 20:33

Dual boot perhaps, or a Virtual Machine :P!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

iceberg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby iceberg » 18 Nov 2008, 20:43

Thanks dude....I've never used a virtual machine before, is it difficult?? I*could* dual boot with XP, but the kinda defeats the object of upgrading to Vista....

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 18 Nov 2008, 22:43

Yeah, but sorry to say it, but it's not really an upgrade if you ask me.
Creating a Virtual Machine is quite simple. You go [urlhttp://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads]here[/url] to download Virtual Box. See what version you need, probably the X86 one. Then it's installing (you knew that). After that, you open it up and you select "new", from there, you are going to make a new "computer".
You select the OS you want and it adjusts the ammount of RAM used, of course you can adjust it to something higher (like 512MB).
You choose "next", now you need to make a "virtual hard drive" basicly this is going to be a "file" that acts like a HD, just go with the regular settings and it just expends to the memory you are actualy using. With those steps completed, you can start installing your machine. You boot your machine (double click it in the list) and you need to either insert a cd in you cd player, or mount an iso. For both you must go (I figure you opened the machine) to "devices" and then mount cd/dvd. If you used a cd, just select the drive path, if you are going to use an ISO, you will need to add the ISO to the list and select it.
From there, it's basicly installing XP...

If you got any questions, feel free to ask me :)!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 19 Nov 2008, 00:37

This topic of H-IV and 64bit Vista has been addressed before, but as there is no tech forum to keep track of this type of topic, it is understandable that it will pop up occasionally.

Sorry to say to the best of my knowledge, no one has gotten H-IV to run on the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version using the compatibility option works fine. There have been several knowledgeable people try, but without success.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 19 Nov 2008, 01:27

That's why using an Virtual Machine could be the answer. HoMMIV doesn't use that much memory, so it should be fine :)!

iceberg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby iceberg » 19 Nov 2008, 11:50

K thanks for the info guys :)

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 20 Nov 2008, 23:42

Let me know if it worked for you :)!

Thanquol
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Thanquol » 09 Jan 2010, 19:36

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere then HoMM4 will no longer BSOD on Vista 64 if you update to SP2. This might fix other games that experienced the same problem as well.

You might have to download SP2 manually as it it doesn't show up for everyone via AutoUpdate.

alanvecchio
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HoMM4 on Vista 64 and Win7 64

Unread postby alanvecchio » 28 Apr 2010, 16:57

Just thought I would let you know that I had no problem installing and running HoMM 4 on both Vista 64 and Win 7 64 systems. The problems I had started when I tried to run the v22to30US patch. The patch gives me the error "Old File
not found. However, a file with the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match.
". I checked the program's properties and it is the US version 2.2.

I gave up on that & tried to install The Gathering Storm, & HOMM4 Winds of War. Each told me that HOMM 4 is not installed although it is and I can execute it fine.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 04 May 2010, 19:52

On a related subject, I just installed HoMM 1 thru 4 on Windows 7. I never encountered a single problem. And I also installed WoG and Equilibrus as well, without a problem. And all CD's from 1 thru 4 are from 3DO. I never even had to check compatibility mode for any of them. Everything went smooth when I followed the instructions and all. Of course, it said the memory and space size failed, but I selected the 'keep installing' button and not a problem.

alanvecchio
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HoMM4 on Vista 64 and Win7 64

Unread postby alanvecchio » 04 May 2010, 20:17

ByteBandit, I also had no trouble installing HoMM4 on Win 7. My problem was that I could not patch it nor could I install any of the extensions. In both cases, it could not find the HoMM 4 that I had installed. Were you able to install the patch or either of the extensions?

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 04 May 2010, 22:36

I don't have GS or WoW. But I did put in all the 3DO patches up to 3.0 I guess it is. After that I then installed Equilibris. If I had any problem with that, it was something about a 'checksum,' but I then saw it was my fault, not Windows 7 and got it squared away after a few uneventful moves from the desktop to the H4 folder.
To tell you the truth, eveything installed better on 7 than XP, and I was skeptical of that.

i've yet to try playing a game on it, but so far I feel there won't be any problems. And like I say, I did'nt change or do anything with compatibility configurations. Everything was automatic. Brain dead installation, really.

So, I just can't see why so many say they are having problems doing it. And the simple matter of the fact about the whole thing is, I'm no real computer whiz. I know what I need to know and that's just a half step ahead of novice. :D

jeff

Re: HoMM4 on Vista 64 and Win7 64

Unread postby jeff » 04 May 2010, 22:51

alanvecchio wrote:ByteBandit, I also had no trouble installing HoMM4 on Win 7. My problem was that I could not patch it nor could I install any of the extensions. In both cases, it could not find the HoMM 4 that I had installed. Were you able to install the patch or either of the extensions?
Like ByteBandit I have had no trouble with win 7. I used the UBI DVD of with Heroes IV complete, installed all the expansions and then Equilibris. Not sure why you can't find it as; it installs in the Program Files (x86)\3DO folder. It has run without any problems.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 05 May 2010, 07:05

ByteBandit wrote:I don't have GS or WoW. But I did put in all the 3DO patches up to 3.0 I guess it is. After that I then installed Equilibris.
I wonder how you can install Equilibris without having WoW? Equi requires the addon.

How could you play "The Eye of Osiris" then, which is strongly based on WoW, playing it with Equilibris would make it hard, to accumulate the needed vampires. ;)

alanvecchio
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alanvecchio » 05 May 2010, 15:23

Hi, I have a question for those of you who have successfully installed the 3.0 patch and/or have successfully installed the extensions. Was your original HoMM4 CD distributed by 3DO? I bought mine from UBISOFT. I am beginning to suspect that the 3DO patches & expansions are incompatible with the UBISOFT version. The UBISOFT patches only go up to 2.2 which is the version that I purchased. When I try to install 3.0, I get "Missing or Invalid registry/INI entry" and then "Old file not found.". When I try to install the extensions (which are distributed by 3DO) it immediately tells me that HoMM4 is not installed (it never gives me a chance to select the destination folder). My HoMM4 install disc wants to install in C:\Program Files (x86)\UBISOFT\Heroes of Might and Magic IV\. The registry entry is New World Computing. I tried to install in C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Heroes of Might and Magic IV\. The registry entry is still New World Computing and I get the same errors. I really think that the bouncing of HoMM4 from one distributor to another has led to these incompatibilities. I may just be out of luck.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 05 May 2010, 15:58

I can't speak with certainty, but I don't believe you need the patches if you bought the Ubisoft versions.

alanvecchio
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alanvecchio » 05 May 2010, 17:04

You are correct. The Ubisoft version ships with version 2.2 and does not have any additional patches, however the 3DO version goes up to 3.0. Unfortunately, it's the 3.0 patch that I am having trouble with.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 05 May 2010, 22:00

Wow! I had problems with the first patch not taking, but the other 3 went good. I hope the later patches overwrote the first one. If not, I'll have to go through it again.
I can't figure out why the last patch is'nt working. Maybe the download was corrupted. That's all I can think of right off hand. Have you used that particular downloaded patch before? If not, you may want to try and download it again, just to make sure it's not the download.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 05 May 2010, 22:47

alanvecchio wrote:You are correct. The Ubisoft version ships with version 2.2 and does not have any additional patches, however the 3DO version goes up to 3.0. Unfortunately, it's the 3.0 patch that I am having trouble with.
The UBI version is fully patched, as I recall there were no patches for the WOW expansion; so if you have installed it you're done. Which may explain why you are having trouble trying to install the patch. The patch released at the same time as WOW was to patch the other H-IV versions for people that did not buy the WOW expansion.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”