Creating a NEW Heroes game!

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Creating a NEW Heroes game!

Unread postby MadMax » 11 Nov 2008, 15:05

Okey I'm just going to start looking around for people that knows how this would be possible? I'm not a programer myself that's why i need programers help to make my dream come true! So if you are a programer or a quest/Storywriter and such just write here or PM me! I would be very intrested in making my own Heroes game :D All help is appriciated :D

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 11 Nov 2008, 20:15

Ummm...illusions of grandeur?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 11 Nov 2008, 21:44

Heey, be nice ;)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 11 Nov 2008, 23:30

Yeah, we should support this.But maybe you can better start modding first. You know, why don't you make a lot of people happy and create "The Forge". Many people still wonder how it would be like playing it. I think you can blow new life in HoMM 3. Heck, maybe some people at WoG will help you out and it could be released there...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 12 Nov 2008, 00:14

A non-programmer making the Forge? Yeah right. :)

@HoP: I've seen dozens of similar projects over the years. If you even want to get programmers interested in your project, you'll need to do some homework first and come up with a project plan.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 12 Nov 2008, 05:38

Oh no, not another fan project. My advice is to not make a new heroes game. We already have too many fan projects. Here's a list:

These are the ones still on track:
(There's MMX, the WoG expansion thing, and Might and Magic Warlords unless that got canned.)

These are the ones that are not:
(MMT, WoG 3.59, The new town projects that include the Desert town, the forge and some Warcraft III ripoff town. These are all in development hell and most likely will not be finished)

Heroes V sold well, so Ubisoft will most likely make a sequel. We really really don't need another fan made project until the ones that are still in development flop.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Nov 2008, 05:45

Don't forget the Equilibris mod, that's pretty good...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

I was thinking

Unread postby MadMax » 12 Nov 2008, 09:32

I was thinking about some kind of mod with liek 1 or 2 new towns.. new creatures and maybe you can just do some new campaigns in like campaign editor if it's a crisis. And also I know that there's alot of fan-projects going on but I want my share too! :D
I want to make a dream come true... I've ben playing heroes since like 10 years ago... And all I need is some help to create some kind of new cool version... But then I will need support and help :D
Who's with me? :D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 12 Nov 2008, 10:16

Like said, make a plan. You can't just start from nothing. You need a concept, and start out small. Find somebody who can program and work with him. When you are able to do so, maybe you can make a game afterwards. But don't forget that making a game isn't done in a week. Don't get me wrong, I like your attitude, but keet it realistic :)...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 12 Nov 2008, 10:26

yeah i know i hope that we can do a pretty simple one atleast to start with. I will try to learn some programmer stuff when i work with the programmer! And also I'm currently reading about hte might and magic history and maybe i'm gonna create some kind off take up at some historic point! :D You think thats good? :D

Thanks for all the support :D

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 12 Nov 2008, 11:07

Are you ready to sacrifice at least 5 years of your life and devote all of your free time for the project? For starters just think about it, start with something like a project plan and you will change your mind very fast. No offense but there have been lots of fan projects with a team of very motivated and skilled fans trying to create something - ~ 95% of the projects never get finished.

Once I too was dreaming I could write a famous novel and earn millions. I wrote a few pages and realized I won't make it. :rofl:

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 12 Nov 2008, 11:58

I give you credit for trying and wanting to do this. Just be realistic about it ;)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 12 Nov 2008, 12:44

HeroOfPunk, your enthusiasm is admirable. But you need more than just a plan to get started. You need a playable demo before you're going to get any help. It doesn't have to be complex or anywhere near feature-complete. But it needs to be playable to get other developers interested in it. Open-source software development works because the people who develop the program are also its users. You won't get any other developers until someone else wants to use it. Even Heroes of Wesnoth, the most promising fan-made HoMM clone I've seen, is still just one guy after a year and a half of work. It just doesn't have enough features yet to attract support.

With all that said, my advice is to learn programming. Start with Python or Java. Take a programming course or two at school if you're still in school. Go read books about programming. And don't try to write HoMM as your first project. Write tic-tac-toe (aka naughts and crosses). Then write Breakout and Pac-Man. Only then will you have the skills necessary to program all the elements of a complex game like Heroes. Good luck!

BTW, a few of us here are software developers (including me) so don't hesitate to post questions in the Campfire. We'll do our best to help you out.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 12 Nov 2008, 13:40

@HeroOfPunk

While I agree with others that your enthusiasm for this project of yours is quite astonishing, I'd still vote against rushing things. Take your time and head for the goal step-by-step. Optimism is a good thing, but as a long-time pessimist myself, my advise remains this: keep it simple in the beginning and add things moderately as you improve your skills and sharpen up your plans.

Sincerally,

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 12 Nov 2008, 13:55

@arturchix

I've also toyed with the idea of becoming a novelist myself. Well perhaps not a novelist but a paperback writer. If I ever get to contact a publisher, here's what I'd say:

"Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book?
It took me years to write, will you take a look?
It's based on a novel by a man named Lear
And I need a job, so I want to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

It's the dirty story of a dirty man
And his clinging wife doesn't understand.
His son is working for the Daily Mail,
It's a steady job but he wants to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

It's a thousand pages, give or take a few,
I'll be writing more in a week or two.
I can make it longer if you like the style,
I can change it round and I want to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

If you really like it you can have the rights,
It could make a million for you overnight.
If you must return it, you can send it here
But I need a break and I want to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer."

Only thing I've ever wrote so far has been some short stories of rather special kind of literature. In the end the stories remained "shelved" and never got anywhere from my desktop. I deleted them as I grew tired of them. Simple as that. But this doesn't stop me from dreaming one day becoming a paperback writer. ;)

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 12 Nov 2008, 14:02

Kristo wrote:HeroOfPunk, your enthusiasm is admirable. But you need more than just a plan to get started. You need a playable demo before you're going to get any help. It doesn't have to be complex or anywhere near feature-complete. But it needs to be playable to get other developers interested in it. Open-source software development works because the people who develop the program are also its users. You won't get any other developers until someone else wants to use it. Even Heroes of Wesnoth, the most promising fan-made HoMM clone I've seen, is still just one guy after a year and a half of work. It just doesn't have enough features yet to attract support.

With all that said, my advice is to learn programming. Start with Python or Java. Take a programming course or two at school if you're still in school. Go read books about programming. And don't try to write HoMM as your first project. Write tic-tac-toe (aka naughts and crosses). Then write Breakout and Pac-Man. Only then will you have the skills necessary to program all the elements of a complex game like Heroes. Good luck!

BTW, a few of us here are software developers (including me) so don't hesitate to post questions in the Campfire. We'll do our best to help you out.

Thank you very much! :) Yeah well if i could get a developer or such to help me i would ofc try to help him out in all ways and we would slowly develop a basic game and add more features on and on.. Alltough i don't know any programming at all but i will see if there's any of thoose such things at my school.

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 12 Nov 2008, 14:05

arturchix wrote:Are you ready to sacrifice at least 5 years of your life and devote all of your free time for the project? For starters just think about it, start with something like a project plan and you will change your mind very fast. No offense but there have been lots of fan projects with a team of very motivated and skilled fans trying to create something - ~ 95% of the projects never get finished.

Once I too was dreaming I could write a famous novel and earn millions. I wrote a few pages and realized I won't make it. :rofl:

I will keep it in mind but i can do alot of things if i just have support and people that are ready to help me :)

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 12 Nov 2008, 14:08

Also @ Milla and Yurian!

Yeah I will try to be realistic, maye just creating a mod or something for heroes :) it would be cool you know to have 2 new races and 2 new cities or something :)
And I will as I said before probably just start little and build up up and up :D

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 12 Nov 2008, 14:20

Might I also suggest that you use the edit-button in the right upper corner of your post instead of triple-posting? ;)
- Dragon Age Origins

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 12 Nov 2008, 14:21

Haha thanks alot sorry bout that...

Return to “Heroes I-IV”