Getting Primary Skills in Heroes IV?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
captivehearts
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Getting Primary Skills in Heroes IV?

Unread postby captivehearts » 15 Oct 2008, 20:54

Quick question. I'm playing the True Blade (Life) campaign from the original Heroes IV and I'm having trouble getting the scouting primary skill for one of my knights. How can I tell what primary skills are most likely to pop up? Should I just disband the knight that I started with and recruit some other class? And if so, what?

Basically, the campaign starts with 2 knights and a priest, with a second priest coming soon after. I was hoping to turn one knight into a Lord Commander (Tactics/Nobility) and the other into a Field Marshall (Tactics/Scouting), but I can't seem to get Scouting to come up when I level. I know it's possible, because my knights got it when I first played the campaign. Of course, now that I want it, it's nowhere to be found.

So, my general question is this - what's the basic wisdom on when and who will usually get different primary skills? And in this case, should I just keep restarting the campaign until one of the beastmaster houses randomly gives me scouting?

((And, unfortunately, recruiting a thief is out of the question because it's not available in Haven.))

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 16 Oct 2008, 11:27

And in this case, should I just keep restarting the campaign until one of the beastmaster houses randomly gives me scouting?
Mainly. Also you can get Scouting from the Seminary in your town(s).
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

bot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bot » 20 Oct 2008, 08:51

You'll NEVER get scouting from a seminary. You can get: Combat, Tactics, Life, Nature, Order(and secondary skills). From the university you can get Nobility, Scouting, Order, Life, Death with secondary skills.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 20 Oct 2008, 11:14

Checked, and it's true. I kind of mixed those buildings all the time. Sorry for the misleading.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

bot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bot » 20 Oct 2008, 11:40

I did not understand your question about basic wisdom... HOMM4 is different from HOMM3. If you choose a magic skill - Life, Order, Nature, Death, Chaos, depend on which level is your hero(Basic, Advanced, Expert, Master or Grandmaster) will be able to cast specific spels- 1,2,3,4,5 level. I don't understand why you want to develop Nobility skill, this campaign works fine with a general, a crusader and a monk. Movement on the land isn't so important here.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 29 Oct 2008, 15:43

There is somewhere a chart with chances of a hero geting the skill. Scouting is one of rare skills for a Knight, if I remember correct.
I did not understand your question about basic wisdom... HOMM4 is different from HOMM3. If you choose a magic skill - Life, Order, Nature, Death, Chaos, depend on which level is your hero(Basic, Advanced, Expert, Master or Grandmaster) will be able to cast specific spels- 1,2,3,4,5 level.
You ain't proficient in English, are you?
He was talking about wisdom in general, not about wisdom as a HoMM3 skill.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”