What is the easiest campaign in Heroes IV?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Melhisedek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

What is the easiest campaign in Heroes IV?

Unread postby Melhisedek » 10 Feb 2006, 22:33

I have both expansions installed so where should I start first?

P.S. Finished tutorial...

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 10 Feb 2006, 22:43

I think the campaigns are in rough order of difficulty in the original game, so life is the easiest and (what's the last one? Chaos? Might?) is the hardest. None of them are hugely tough, though.

Melhisedek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Melhisedek » 10 Feb 2006, 23:25

Hmmm
when I select "Heroes IV Campaigns"

There are 6 to choose from

starting with

"the true blade" another one is "glory of days past"

I'm not seeing anything with life in it :(

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 10 Feb 2006, 23:53

In the True Blade campaign you play with the Haven town, that's alligned to Life Magic. This one is IMO the easiest of the campaigns.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Feb 2006, 00:26

Ur best bet is to play them in order.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 11 Feb 2006, 00:53

The True Blade is easy because there's never any timing needed, so you can take your time and develop your heroes easier. Choosing an easier difficulty dramatically affects the game too, if you want.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 11 Feb 2006, 01:22

You can get stuck later on in the Life campaign if you don't develop your heroes properly. I found the Nature campaign more forgiving.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 11 Feb 2006, 01:55

If you play Easy or Normal difficulty, I suppose all of them are pretty easy.

grumpy_dwarf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby grumpy_dwarf » 11 Feb 2006, 03:19

The one that I find tough is A Pirate's Daughter. Look here http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=119 for the campaign walkthroughs which can be a great help....

My Order of easy to tougher
Life (The True Blade)
Preserve (Elwin and Shaera)
Undead (Half-Dead)
Barbarian (Glory of Days Past)
Order (The Price of Peace)
Chaos (A Pirate's Daughter)

Of course there are many custom maps that are pretty good as well...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Feb 2006, 11:19

grumpy_dwarf wrote:The one that I find tough is A Pirate's Daughter.
I only found the first map hard. It was actualy kinda annoying that after I beat the first map the rest felt easy.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Feb 2006, 12:17

Well,thats what you get with unbalanced leveling.

Symeon Star-Eyes
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Symeon Star-Eyes » 11 Feb 2006, 13:00

Yeah, the first map in "A Pirate's Daughter" is a bit difficult. Everything depends on the first few weeks. But it has a good story.
Other than that, I think all the original campaigns are quite good difficulty-wise if you haven't played heroes a lot.

I really liked the campaigns for Gathering Storm, but not the ones for Winds of War. I remember I found some of them quite difficult too.

Oh, and the easiest campaign by far is The True Blade (the Life campaign). Just get combat, tactics and life magic for your main hero, and experiment and have fun with the other heroes.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Feb 2006, 15:03

Symeon Star-Eyes wrote:
I really liked the campaigns for Gathering Storm, but not the ones for Winds of War. I remember I found some of them quite difficult too.
What annoyed me alot about WoW was the huge number of creatures that usualy defended the last objective. It was really annoying that I had taken all the map but had to wait about a week or two at least to get enough creatures to defeat the last enemy.

Another easy campaign is the one with Agraynel, "Another Bard's Tale"! She gets GM Stealth from a quest hut in the first map, and after that it's a breeze.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 12 Feb 2006, 01:02

ThunderTitan wrote:
Another easy campaign is the one with Agraynel, "Another Bard's Tale"! She gets GM Stealth from a quest hut in the first map, and after that it's a breeze.
That was a fun campaign. i got GM nature magic for summoning spells (I think i got GM death too at some stage for devils) and GM stealth and you'd just sneak around, run into a castle on your own, summon an army and take everything over. It was cheesy but cool.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Feb 2006, 01:24

It was even cooler when I used her Stealth to ress my heroes after being killer by Hexis' army. I belive it took around 3-4 attacks to finaly defeat him. :D

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 12 Feb 2006, 12:39

ThunderTitan wrote: What annoyed me alot about WoW was the huge number of creatures that usualy defended the last objective. It was really annoying that I had taken all the map but had to wait about a week or two at least to get enough creatures to defeat the last enemy.
As far as I can tell, you don't need creatures in ANY of the h4 campaigns after the first maps.

Wow is not an exceptions and the endfights are a breeze.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 13 Feb 2006, 04:57

When you're playing the campaigns and you find that you are having difficulty. it's usually due to one of two reasons.

The most common reason I would guess is that you get caught playing peek-a-boo with the enemies coming through the one way portals. When I first played "True Blade" many years ago, I remember having a little trouble with that. Once you figure out that your best bet is to leave the "neutral creatures" to block the one way (use it as if it is your own defender) and to focus your energies on freeing Proetho and taking control of the one way portals by attacking the Teal (or Cyan) army.

The second mistake is leveling up your heroes. In the Life campaign, especially, you'll be tempted by the seminary to take all these random skills that look good on the surface but actually make your heroes les powerful by creating unpopular choices during the early and mid development of your heroes. Go Tactics with Lysander (and ignore Leadership) and go Life magic with Proetho (ignoring resurrection). You will be able to pick up the random skills after you've locked in you Grandmaster levels of your main skill sets.

Other than that, just have fun with it. Life is a good campaign to start on.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 13 Feb 2006, 06:25

csarmi wrote:
As far as I can tell, you don't need creatures in ANY of the h4 campaigns after the first maps.

Wow is not an exceptions and the endfights are a breeze.
Well then you are wrong. It depends on what difficulty you play at. At Champion, I'll be heartily surprised if you win the second mission of True Blade without creatures.

You can't really survive without creatures in all WoW campaigns, too. I know, because I tried - I made Mongo a really powerful superhero, but he couldn't take out the heavily-defended Life towns (without lots of hit-and-run). Maybe you can win without creatures with Baron Von Tarkin or Mysterio the Magnificent, but not with Mongo.

Melhisedek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Melhisedek » 13 Feb 2006, 08:31

Dear Lord this game owns me (can't stop playing/thinking about it)... Worse than Civ III and that is not easily beaten :)

Hope I wont bore you to death with my newbie-ness but I feel I need to share ;)

Thing is I really feel that I have no idea on what I'm doing especially when it comes to choosing skills at level ups. I noticed that some of my Heroes are much better that the others, the ones where I followed 2 skills to their highest lvls. Compared to the other ones that have their skills "watered" out in order to get as many different ones as possible, former beat the crap of the latter.

I'm on lvl 3 of the first capaign. It is going pretty good, but I feel that I take to long to get the courage up and go and try clean the map :( Other problem is that I build things in some "hmmm this sounds nice" manner. Still I try to get Angels in one and Champions in other town to keep things balanced :P
As I mentioned before I feel that I wait way to long for my armies to build up and I feel tactics like that will not get me far on campaigns to come and at higher levels of play (playing on easy this first campaign)
So any tips on town builds and basic Hero skillups (not just campaign heroes but any hero) like are there worthless skills I shouldn't bother with, any overpowered ones that I must have and so on ;)

On this map (3rd one) I have 4 heroes but not that many troops. So I made my main group and one minor which will wait for some troops to generate and take start fooling around. Should I create even more groups with smaller squads or do it my way with one doombringer squad and several small ones?

Some questions:

1. Do skills that increase army offense/defense stack if I have multiple heroes with same skill?

2. Do creatures guarding mines and such increase in numbers as weeks pass? (Perhaps I should go out and attack sooner)

3. I've captured a few enemy heroes but is there anything I can do with them? (Never really checked that prison of mine)

4. Is there a way to see some kind of a log of what happens in battle? I hate seeing magic cast all over the battlefield and not knowing what happened :(
There is this buff that one of my heroes (Nuego or something) casts on start of each battle if I let it run in Auto-Combat. No idea what it is, it is cast on whole party and looks like a golden cup. I've looked through his spells but can't find more than 2 "whole party" spells and those 2 are not them. So log would sure come in handy :)

5. Sometimes my units/heroes seems to do some crazy damage (2-3 times the normal) are those criticals or some kind of buff I'm not aware of?

6. When creating armies should I zerg stuff with cheap units or try to get out as many Angels, champions as I can?

This would be it for now :)
Thank you for your time!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Feb 2006, 09:07

Melhisedek wrote: On this map (3rd one) I have 4 heroes but not that many troops. So I made my main group and one minor which will wait for some troops to generate and take start fooling around. Should I create even more groups with smaller squads or do it my way with one doombringer squad and several small ones?
Creating two squads is better if you can handle it. If you're having trouble, try combining them into one.
1. Do skills that increase army offense/defense stack if I have multiple heroes with same skill?
2. Do creatures guarding mines and such increase in numbers as weeks pass? (Perhaps I should go out and attack sooner)
3. I've captured a few enemy heroes but is there anything I can do with them? (Never really checked that prison of mine)
4. Is there a way to see some kind of a log of what happens in battle? I hate seeing magic cast all over the battlefield and not knowing what happened :(
There is this buff that one of my heroes (Nuego or something) casts on start of each battle if I let it run in Auto-Combat. No idea what it is, it is cast on whole party and looks like a golden cup. I've looked through his spells but can't find more than 2 "whole party" spells and those 2 are not them. So log would sure come in handy :)
5. Sometimes my units/heroes seems to do some crazy damage (2-3 times the normal) are those criticals or some kind of buff I'm not aware of?
6. When creating armies should I zerg stuff with cheap units or try to get out as many Angels, champions as I can?
1. Only the highest counts (including any artifact boosters), but it's counted for each sub-bonus separately. Thus, having one hero with advanced tactics and basic offence, one with basic tactics and leadership and two luck-boosting artifacts, and one with basic tactics and advanced offence and leadership will give you the same tactic bonuses as one hero with advanced tactics, advanced offence, advanaced leadership and one luck-boosting artifact.
2. Yes.
3. Nope. All you can and need to do is to make sure the enemy doesn't take that castle and release them.
4. No log. That spell sounds like mass bless. If you can't find it in your spellbook, most likely you haven't turned the page...
5. I believe they've had a morale boost at the beginning of the turn. That makes them do extra damage.
6. Buy level 4 units first. They're better in almost every way.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Return to “Heroes I-IV”