Heroes IV - How to advance in Nature magic?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ironic_lettuce
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes IV - How to advance in Nature magic?

Unread postby ironic_lettuce » 12 Aug 2008, 10:13

Hi everyone

I'm playing HOMAM IV just now and I'm on the 3rd mission, and there's something that's really annoying me! I've concentrated my monk on magic, and he is now a level 20 (ish) monk. The thing is, I can't get his nature magic beyond basic! Every time I level up it never gives me the option to increase it! It's always either Life magic or Order magic I get offered (plus some kind of combat one). Am I missing something that would let me train him up to higher levels of nature magic???

Thanks!

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 12 Aug 2008, 12:19

Either that particular campaign doesn't allow advancement in Nature Magic at all (which I doubt), or you've just been caught in the strange, random skill advancement patterns of H4. When playing Gauldoth's campaign for the first time, I was never offered any boosts to his Nature skill, so he was stuck as a Necromancer for three missions.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 12 Aug 2008, 17:02

Forgive me for suggesting this but I'd use the code for giving heroes skills:

Select Hero at bottom right of screen -> Hit Tab Key -> type nwcathena -> choose which skill you wish & what level.

Then after you're done, save your game, quit out of it & relaunch. This will keep you from being branded a 'cheater' in the final score.

Good Luck :)

Edit: Oh, and while you're at it you can give your Monk (or any Hero) all spells too by using the all spells code: nwcisis.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 12 Aug 2008, 21:53

I dahm you to hell Hodgepodge, for cheating :disagree: ...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 15 Aug 2008, 18:50

You can also ripp Gauldoth's campaign with ResEdit2, disable special skills like Necromancy & Summoning, and save back in heroes4 file.

In first map in first or second level-up you won't find Summoning anymore. Pick herbalism and enjoy building your demonologist.

It's better than cheating
"Set your enemies on fire, light a campfire, or roast a duck. It's an all purpose spell!"
- Firebolt (Chaos spell, level 2)

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Re: Heroes IV - How to advance in Nature magic?

Unread postby Paulus1 » 15 Aug 2008, 21:34

ironic_lettuce wrote: I'm playing HOMAM IV just now and I'm on the 3rd mission, and there's something that's really annoying me! I've concentrated my monk on magic, and he is now a level 20 (ish) monk. The thing is, I can't get his nature magic beyond basic! Every time I level up it never gives me the option to increase it! It's always either Life magic or Order magic I get offered (plus some kind of combat one). Am I missing something that would let me train him up to higher levels of nature magic???
It's quite difficult to alter the path once chosen for your hero.
If your hero has an advanced class (like the monk), at each level up, two of the three skill advancements offered will be from the two skills, that your class is made from.
AFAIR the third skill is random, but Combat has a greater percentage chance of popping up than any other skill.

What this means is, that once you've chosen the path of monk (order/life), two of your skill choices will be from those schools, and the third will very likely be Combat. You have to either hit some teachers with nature magic or pin your hopes on random luck.

Good luck with reaching Archmage.

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 18 Aug 2008, 09:27

ironic_lettuce, maybe this bit of theory will be helpful

All skill choices in level-up window depend on hero’s current class, so Druid will be offered Nature Magic, Monk Life & Order Magic and Ranger Combat & Scouting skills.
The chance of picking skills is also affected by your hero alignment. Knight and Priest will never get opposite magic (Death & Chaos Magic) unless you visit Uni or altar to learn Basic mastery of that magic. As for Barbs, they never get magic skills. First they must advance to other class, for instance Warlord.
Also magic heroes easier get magic skills. Non-magic ones also focus better on non-magic skill families. Moreover, non-magic skills enable you to specialize your hero like Lord: Nobility, Estates, Mining and Diplomacy are far independent from each other so 4 heroes all with same skill group can do different jobs. Some of them are bound to basic classes: Archer develops faster Archery, Barb faster Melee, Knight goes for Defense better while Death Knight for Offence.
Because Combat is vital, any hero will be offered it every three levels until Grandmaster mastery. But other Combat skills won’t be offered so often assuming your hero class doesn’t require them
To get a chance of new primary skill your hero needs at least 6 skill-points in each skill group he knows, for instance Monk: E.Life, A. Healing, B. Spirituality, E. Order, A.Enchant, B.Wizardy. Otherwise he/she still will be offered secondary skills or special skill.

So if your monk is from order you won't advcance in Nature unless you get either GM.Life or GM.Order or learn B.Herbalism
"Set your enemies on fire, light a campfire, or roast a duck. It's an all purpose spell!"
- Firebolt (Chaos spell, level 2)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”