GS Life and Death scenario 1 on Champion

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Rainalkar
Pixie
Pixie

GS Life and Death scenario 1 on Champion

Unread postby Rainalkar » 02 May 2008, 23:45

I finished the original campaigns on champion, and all missions, firsts included, were easy (save Might which was challenging), and this is the first time i'm playing GS, I finished all campaigns save Life and Death and they were also quite managable, but the first scenario of this campaign is by far the most difficult mission I played so far. I saw that some of you managed to finish it, so, could you spare a tip? Just a few notes:
-I'm playing equilibris rules
-I can take ghosts dwelling asap but I can't take the necro town asap, I need >cca 7 ghosts
-I can't in my dreams take the south necro town (only one with dwelling lvl3)
-I can (with some luck) beat the blue player week 4-5, after I wait out the ghosts and take necro town first
-My problem is that neither of these towns has more than lvl2 dwelling, and the comp is unreachable and somehow gets angels, eventhough the dwelling in his main town is disabled.
-I know everything about proper hero development, combat etc., I need tips what to do and when.
Thanks in advance

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 03 May 2008, 05:56

There was a topic on this, but I can't find it.

As I recall there were several ways to deal with this map. My own was to take the necro town immediately after visiting the ghost dwelling. One of the most tricky battles in H4 for me and it's been too long ago to remember exactly how, but:

- the hero dies in combat, but needs to make herself maximally useful. Did she get the animate dead spell nearby?
- one group serves as the strikeforce and needs to be preserved. I thought it was the skeleton group and that ghosts act as retaliation triggers, but I'm not sure.
- could it be that enemy movement can be stalled somewhat at the start?

I seem to remember that I started in box formation, moved Alita to the right at first while the enemy remains behind castle walls. When the enemy ghosts come out they are somewhat whittled down by Alita's skeletons. The ghosts move towards Alita in the right. At the same time, the enemy skeletons come out and get punched by Alita's skeletons.
Alita can take several hits from the ghosts and raises the skeleton stack at some point.
I don't remember if the enemy ghots flew straight to Alita or first had a little skirmish with Alita's skeletons.

That's probably of vey little use ;|
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Rainalkar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Rainalkar » 03 May 2008, 11:35

-Yeah, I loaded the game until I got Animate Death
-I guess I could try taking the Necro town asap, but I will need hell of a terrain formation
-about stalling the enemy... I don't get it. How?
-Btw, did you take the south Necro, and how did you pass the Griffins all the way south?
-What did you do after you took Necro, how much troops did you loose? I presume almost everything? Did you break pikemen asap or took the exp chest first (and retreat when crusaders attack)?
-Did you at all conquer the south necro town?

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 04 May 2008, 07:33

Rainalkar wrote: -about stalling the enemy... I don't get it. How?
Castle defenders will often stay inside the walls when attackers are too far away. You can send a lone ghost or skeleton to break down the gate without being attacked. Or you can send in the strike force to weaken the gate, retreat before it breaks and then send in a lone warrior to finish it. Once the gate is down, enemies will come out. Remember to save before the gate breaks..
-Btw, did you take the south Necro, and how did you pass the Griffins all the way south?
-What did you do after you took Necro, how much troops did you loose? I presume almost everything? Did you break pikemen asap or took the exp chest first (and retreat when crusaders attack)?
-Did you at all conquer the south necro town?
I guess it's been about 5 years since I played this map, so my memory of it is limited. I'm sure I did take all towns. I lost everything except the strike force in the battle for the first town. Walker armies could be defeated with cerberi.

Rainalkar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Rainalkar » 04 May 2008, 11:04

Ah, stalling within the battle, now I understand, I thought you meant adventure map. Sure, I can redeploy all of my units no problem, I figured having a single ghost stack to break the gate was the way to go, but my problem is the ghost stack which does too much damage.
To give you a perspective:
My army:
Alita (29 mana), 5 Pikemen, 35 Crossbowmen, 25 Skeletons, 9 Ghosts
Comp:
27 Ghosts, 84 Imps (separable in two stacks), 75 Skeletons

27 Ghosts do in average 81 dmg to Alita, she has 140hp and a 45hp bind wounds.

Don't worry, I am aware that even what you ARE recalling is a bliss.

I'll try a few more times. The comp does fairly well in quick combat (8 ghosts, 43 skeletons left to defender), but not even close to that in autocombat.

Btw, I don't know is Animate Dead even that useful for this fight. 75hp raised, compared to 100hp for Raise Skeleton.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 04 May 2008, 17:00

Rainalkar wrote:To give you a perspective:
My army:
Alita (29 mana), 5 Pikemen, 35 Crossbowmen, 25 Skeletons, 9 Ghosts
Comp:
27 Ghosts, 84 Imps (separable in two stacks), 75 Skeletons

27 Ghosts do in average 81 dmg to Alita, she has 140hp and a 45hp bind wounds.
That rings a few bells. Pikemen can scrap some off the ghosts while they attack Alita. Crossbowmen need to focus on the imps. Skeletons can take out the remainder of imps.
Btw, I don't know is Animate Dead even that useful for this fight. 75hp raised, compared to 100hp for Raise Skeleton.
Good point. Alita should raise skeletons early on; I think from the dead imps. I'm pretty sure that Alita needs to spend as much of her mana pool as possible on raising spells, but at the same time ensure that she survives long enough to do so and to make sure the enemy ghosts stay out of the 'frey' as long as possible.
IIRC enemy ghosts first take out Alita, then take a couple of turns to take out the pikemen, and in the end of combat face Alita's skeletons.

Good luck!

Rainalkar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Rainalkar » 04 May 2008, 23:10

My problem is keeping the ghosts at bay... I'll try.

edit: the issue were ghosts, but in a different way: I noticed that their stack is variable: they can appear as Cerberi as well. It is now a piece of a cake fight, fatigued Cerberi on snow can't touch me, and I can win a fight with a 2 ghost loss - in total.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 05 May 2008, 17:32

Knowing that would have saved me about 4 hours :-D

Good luck with the rest of the map!

Rainalkar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Rainalkar » 24 May 2008, 15:26

The rest of the campaign was easy, Hexis wasn't hard, but it was a very nice campaign, you can tell the programmers placed effort in it. You actually think out the last mission a bit, even with your uber heroes.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”