Leprechaun opinion...

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

How are Leprechauns?

I LUV them!
10%
They're pretty good
18%
Middle of the road Average
10%
Um...they're not very good
25%
Um...they're not very good
25%
I HATE them! They stink green!
9%
NO COMMENT
3%

Total votes: 79

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 06 Feb 2006, 12:54

Banedon wrote:Try to be more objective csarmi :) Surely Mass Fortune is more powerful than Summon Leprechaun?
No it isn't. It's just different.
Why, do you think that Mass Fortune is better than Fortune? It's not so easy either. Two levels higher (Mass Fortune is level 4, not level 3 sorry) and that puts it into an entirely different context.

Summon Leprechaun is not clearly superior to Fortune either, altough very close to that. In most cases your summoned leprechauns will get the next move anyways.
Last edited by csarmi on 06 Feb 2006, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 06 Feb 2006, 12:58

middle of the road
Leprechauns are average unit. Nothing special. Good at the beginning to summon for fortune, later they suck. In army they're useless- decrease your mov.
But personally I prefer summon wolfes/sprites than leprechauns. perhaps it's my beatdown playing style... ;)

Symeon Star-Eyes
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Symeon Star-Eyes » 06 Feb 2006, 14:06

Completely agree with csarmi. You get a lot for a single lvl 1 spell.
Especially when playing against the AI, the spell comes in very handy since the AI often tends to target them. And as csarmi said, you get a fortune spell boosting one of your creatures plus a creature to divert the enemy's attention.
Of course, for a high level hero late in the game the spell is not worth much, but otherwise it is. As for bringing leprechauns along in a fight, I would do so in certain circumstances. They can be very useful. Three stacks of 1 leprechaun will cast fortune on three other stacks, will absorb retaliation/be the first priority of the enemy (AI), and allow the hero(s) to cast other spells or summons. But I certainly wouldn't drag them across the map with me ;)

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 06 Feb 2006, 16:16

vote Cannon fodder. At least, that's what I usually ended up using them for.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 06 Feb 2006, 16:25

My comments from the Share Your Technique thread on the old boards
Leprachauns and Satyrs

"Happy and Lucky" The low level casters of Nature...

Unlike previous versions of HOMM, casting creatures are a huge part of HOMM4. With the exception of Equilibris, it doesn't matter if you have one or forty-one of these creatures. They have the same spell count.

Most Nature friends and foes believe that Summon Leprachaun is an unbalancing Level one spell since it allows the Druid to summon a blocker and cast fortune (a level two spell) for the price of one (2 mana). And fortune is actually a pretty good spell since it gives maximum luck.

Summon a stack of Satyrs and they can cast Mirth (Max morale) twice. Luck and morale play a big part in HOMM, which makes both of these creatures pretty good summons.

You may not choose these creatures in the creature pool but, unless you have equilibris or you micromanage your summoning, you will have a few to play with as you adventure.

Ultimate use is in early game as blockers and buffers. Have a druid summon a leprachaun and cast fortune on your archer. Next turn summon a satyr and have him cast Mirth on the archer. Works wonders!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 06 Feb 2006, 21:46

Middle of the road. I wouldn't travel with them, but I'd summon them in early battles for their fortune castings.

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 06 Feb 2006, 22:41

Who cares about Leperchauns in H4? That was the most disgraceful appearance they ever made.
The leperchauns in H3 were completely awesome. LoopLepr.mp3 should definitely be proof enough of that. Image
Happy Millenium!

SmokingBarrel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SmokingBarrel » 07 Feb 2006, 00:24

Excuse me?Since where was there leprechauns in H3? Can't recall, and they aren't that disgraceful as you think they are.Why not read what the others say about them? Perfectly true in my opinion.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 00:34

SmokingBarrel wrote:Excuse me?Since where was there leprechauns in H3? Can't recall, and they aren't that disgraceful as you think they are.Why not read what the others say about them? Perfectly true in my opinion.
They were in the mystic garden.And there was a leprecon loop music theme.

SmokingBarrel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SmokingBarrel » 08 Feb 2006, 02:43

Oh, get the idea. At least the leprechauns in H4 can be fodder, can fight, cast spells...the one in H3 is not a unit, right?

Vulcanic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vulcanic » 11 Feb 2006, 11:32

Alright, so maybe the leprechauns are good. But I still think they are average. Banedon and csarmi what did you two vote?

george137
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby george137 » 12 Feb 2006, 22:12

They're pretty good in the early game and very amusing in the late game; take about 4000 of them and have them fight 3 black dragons and see who wins you'll be suprised.

Yelena
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yelena » 20 Feb 2006, 23:40

Unuseful creatures. They move slow, die fast and have a spell which is almost of no use to anybody.

Although, I must admit, I do like the way they die. That little green hat is lovely :D

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 20 Feb 2006, 23:46

Yelena wrote:Unuseful creatures. They move slow, die fast and have a spell which is almost of no use to anybody.

Although, I must admit, I do like the way they die. That little green hat is lovely :D
How can it be that their spell is almost no use to anyone? Summon Leprechaun is one of the best spells in the game, with Fortune on the major stacks an extremely powerful buff. Even if they're worthless in battle, they deserve plaudits for it alone.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Feb 2006, 23:49

Yelena wrote:Unuseful creatures. They move slow, die fast and have a spell which is almost of no use to anybody.
Fortune useless?Fortuns almost doubles your defense!Thats one of the best spells in the whole game!

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 21 Feb 2006, 05:24

I agree. Summon Lep... before wolves or sprites anyday. Isummon them before elves, white tigers or satyrs too.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 21 Feb 2006, 09:02

Voted: Not Very Good! Although, I also think they "stink green"! :-D

Summoned Leprechauns can only cast Fortune once, unless the whole stack is eliminated. I would usually summon sprites or wolves instead of Leprechauns because they take so long to reach the other side of the battlefield that they usually are toast before they can do any damage.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 21 Feb 2006, 09:34

Who asked them to do damage? When I cast Summon Leprechaun, it's for Fortune, blocking LoS and absorbing retaliation - no more.

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

talking about damage

Unread postby csarmi » 21 Feb 2006, 13:52

Besides, they are surprisingly tough. I hate to fight them because of their fine speed (initiative). They do quite a good damage. One of my hardest early fights are usually horde of leprechauns (or dozens of satyrs, now that's even worse), I mean yes I kill them with my level 1's, but hard to leave the fight unscathed.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 22 Feb 2006, 18:32

Me too. I think I'd rather see sprites most of the time.

And like Banedon says... they're there for blockers and to cast their fortune spell on my archer if I go Druid-Archer combo (which I do a lot).

Return to “Heroes I-IV”