H3 SOD: Unholy Alliance, "Gathering the Legion"

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

H3 SOD: Unholy Alliance, "Gathering the Legion"

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 14 Feb 2008, 17:05

I can't win this map.

By the time I had around 80 archers, 32 swordsmen, a few hundred halberdiers and a few cavalries, the blue enemy hero had 40 enchanters, 96 crusaders, tons of wyverns, tons of griffins and marksmen, and RIDICULOUS stats.

Help!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 Feb 2008, 18:36

That sounds pervertedly funny, said as that. :D

Maybe AI is trying to pay you back for all its defeats. :devious:
The town of Hartferd has remained independent because the two lords of this region have been too busy fighting each other to turn their greedy eyes on new territories. Recent rumors place the Legion artifact in the vicinity, so life in Hartferd is likely to get a bit more complicated.
I think that you are supposed to lead an expedition, deep within an enemy territory and rescue Tyranell (west-south island) with warranty from a Blue Tent. He's possesing army as well as Head of the Legion.

Blue cannot be vaniquished in this scenario. If you will be potentially lucky blue and tan will be quarelling between and also open you corridor - you need 'only' hero to outmanevre them.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 14 Feb 2008, 18:55

I'm sure someone managed to kill off blue and tan...

In any case it's no good if the blue hero attacks Crag Hack before I get a chance to get away from him. And he'll attack my town. AND I have to get back to the starting town anyway.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 Feb 2008, 19:00

Well you know discretion is better part of valor. :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 14 Feb 2008, 19:42

I beat the map on impossible diffuculty recently.
As always speed is your best friend. And be sure to get good secondary skills to start with.

I chose to clear the nearby creature generators to bolster my army as first priority. North of your starting town, you can access two of the griffin generators by defeating the Silver pegasi stack guarding the gold mine.

When my army was boosted somewhat, I went to the west, then south.

You can also find some tips here:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/299

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 Feb 2008, 19:48

I see that these obelisks are still useful. :-D
"We made it!"

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 14 Feb 2008, 20:06

Remembering this... Does anyone know where can I get the whole SoD Campaign, to play it in WoG. I have them separately in french, but that's not what I want.
Or is it possible to play SoD camps under WoG?

P.S.: Sorry UndeadHalfOrc for using your thread.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 Feb 2008, 20:19

You may extract them from the game to have them separatedly or download them from archives. (follow my www, links on the bottom) These you can wogify.

Or you may use old heroes3.exe, in your WoG directory which should work too. Natively they aren't here because here wasn't a space left for them.
"We made it!"

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 14 Feb 2008, 20:24

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:I'm sure someone managed to kill off blue and tan...

In any case it's no good if the blue hero attacks Crag Hack before I get a chance to get away from him. And he'll attack my town. AND I have to get back to the starting town anyway.
I managed to beat theme both, but I don't really remember how. I think it was running in circles: capturing town, buying units, letting it be re-captured... having logistics is a good idea!
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 15 Feb 2008, 00:45

After reloading my game I just found out that the blue enemy hero was simply extremely lucky. He had THREE wandering stacks join them: 40 Enchanters, a whole bunch of Mages and a whole bunch of Wyvern Monarchs­. Plus his stack of Knight troops. If it was only his Knight army I had to deal with, I would own him no problem even with his better stats. I had expert resistance and actually pulled off a few lucky resists.

Otherwise everything I did was executed perfectly. Perfect secondary skills, chose the Gloves artifact as starting bonus, went to clear out the map dwellings in week 1 & 2, had 2 secondary heroes to claim the creatures on day 1 every week. But I just can't compete with this unfair CPU luck.

That's it, I'm restarting on Normal... and if I fail again, on Easy. :P

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 16 Feb 2008, 21:19

Just finished all UA campaing myself. I played on default (hard ) dificulty.
Imo its hardest map in all campaing. way i did is hiring extra heroes to efectively gather all external dwelings. And i managed to get into south castle while hero was away and upgrade my troops and if lucky get 1 weeks production. Iretreaded afterwards. I had 1 hard fight with cristian looking lord and afterwards few week later second lord but it was realy hard. Imo with fast enaugh unit gathering at start you should be able to compete with Ai even more on easy dificulty.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Feb 2008, 00:17

Okay, I tried that map again this time and easily beat it. What I did was kill those guarding champions on week 1 (easy with all those friendly peasants) and quickly pick up those Friendly enchanters and mages before the computer opponent did. (I started over from the same save game).

When I confronted the Christian look-alike, it was early week 3 and I had a nice stack of 45 enchanters and 50 mages. There was no way even his superior stats could have saved him from that army early on (just like he did to me in my last try).

After I took Blue out, Tan was easy due to my massive castle advantage. The Lord Haart lookalike was quite a tough hero, though.

Generally speaking in H3, the AI can prove a challenge when he's given one good super-hero and doesn't go around splitting his stacks to weaker heroes.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 20 Feb 2008, 07:22

I agree with people here that when playing SoD campaigns speed is your best friend and so is agressive attitude. You must concentrate your troops in the early game to create a strong army and have good secondary Heroes "feeding" it. Also, my personal experience tells me that access to one humble skill called Diplomacy really makes a difference.

In "Gathering the Legion" the idea is to seperately beat the rivalling Lords of the area and then go for taking their home bases and only after that head for taking Tyranell down. (I wouldn't use the term "rescue" with this matter)
I usually keep one Lieutenant always following my main Hero. His job will be taking resources and collecting additional creatures that join the army thanks to main Hero's Diplomacy skill. Still, Logistics is the best choice.

"Generally speaking in H3, the AI can prove a challenge when he's given one good super-hero and doesn't go around splitting his stacks to weaker heroes."

I agree with UndeadHalfOrc 100%. This is even more true with higher levels such as Expert and Impossible. This comes from my own experience again but I built a super-Hero for my map "Mutare's Apprentice". When he is released from his main castle by an Event, the Hero has stats all over 20 and will go after the player(s) with his +20 Rust, Black and Azure Dragons.
And that's called "learning your lessons the hard way"!

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Feb 2008, 13:56

Yurian Stonebow wrote:I built a super-Hero for my map "Mutare's Apprentice". When he is released from his main castle by an Event
Interesting, how did you go around to do that, let me guess: did you disable the tavern for this town, place a Town event that built the tavern, and only make this one super-hero available to hire by that computer player's color? That should work.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 20 Feb 2008, 19:47

This is how I performed the task:

First I made sure that this enemy Hero was the starting Hero of his color. I disabled Tavern in that town but did not use an Event to build it later on as the map progresses. Next I placed a Quest right next to his front door denying him access unless he brings a large randsom in gold. Then I placed another Quest at the only free exit (from that area I mean) asking for even a higher randsom in gold to ensure that he could operate freely in a small terrtory that was designed for this purpose. But he couldn't go further because of the second Quest.

After this I placed a Town Event delivering him almost twice the needed amount of money on a day X to make sure he could leave his small base of operations at a time I figured by which the Human team would have enough troops and power to take the assault.

With this plan he would stay in an open field or inside his castle but not be able to rush out and go after the player(s) before the "right" time.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”