HOMM Campaigns question

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Trevor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HOMM Campaigns question

Unread postby Trevor » 24 Jan 2008, 19:19

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to play thru all the HOMM campaigns in order.

I finished HOMM the other week. But just to be sure, there were just the ten maps in a straight series to make the campaign, right? There were no alternate paths or anything? Also, no official expansions for HOMM, right?

Now on the HOMM2 campaigns. I finished the "good" campaign. Now I'm going back to do the alternate path (crown or sorceresses). I plan to play the "bad" campaign next, but, do I also have to play the alternate paths were you can flip to the other side? Or are those maps the same as the opposing path's normal campaign flow? Thinking about it again, they must be different. But then, are the final three maps of each campaign different if you choose to flip sides?

Am I being clear enough? I know some of the differences may be trivial, but my OCD is making me play all the possibilities before moving on to the next game.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 24 Jan 2008, 19:38

You flip to the other campaign's track if you switch sides, losing any bonuses you may have gained. I wouldn't want to re-play "Country Lords" in Arhicbald's campaign without both the Ogre and Dragon Alliances. I've never been able to win it without them. Unless your OCD includes masochism, I'd say one play through of each campaign is good enough.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Trevor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trevor » 24 Jan 2008, 19:50

Kristo wrote:You flip to the other campaign's track if you switch sides, losing any bonuses you may have gained. I wouldn't want to re-play "Country Lords" in Arhicbald's campaign without both the Ogre and Dragon Alliances. I've never been able to win it without them. Unless your OCD includes masochism, I'd say one play through of each campaign is good enough.
Ok, if the maps and intros are the same, I guess I can resist. I will try it at least once to be thorough though.

I don't consider myself a great player, despite constant playing for 15 years, so if you can't beat it, I imagine I'll be trounced.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 24 Jan 2008, 20:19

15 years of constant play, and you don't know, the Campaigns inside out?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Trevor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trevor » 24 Jan 2008, 20:41

Muszka wrote:15 years of constant play, and you don't know, the Campaigns inside out?
I have a fairly poor memory when it comes to non-important things. Well, important things too perhaps.

But do you really remember the details of all the campaigns, especially little details like the one I'm asking? Between all the HOMM games I've played thousands of maps, and when it comes to playing the campaigns, I probably replayed the H3 ones a dozen or more times over the years, but H1 and H2 perhaps only thrice each.

But my likely poor memory is probably why it is so much fun for me to replay these games from time to time. I can easily wipe the slate clean and enjoy the campaigns almost as if I'm going thru the storyline for the first time.

Also, I tend to always play the good guy, so I'm not even sure if I've played the Archibald campaign, and I definitely have never flipped in mid-campaign. And I probably always choose the same thing when replaying and given an x or y choice. The option to save the sorceresses or hunt for the crown, I bet I've never hunted for the crown.

And that map has just beaten me twice. Apparently, I have to just expand/search quickly, and let my starting castle fall. The enemy is finding the artifact in week three or four.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 24 Jan 2008, 21:19

I have a fairly poor memory when it comes to non-important things. Well, important things too perhaps.
Ironicaly, I have poor memory when it comes to important things, and PC-like memory when it comes to non-important :p

Anyway, you choose hutning for crown or rising an army, not saving sorceress. You save theme anyway.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: HOMM Campaigns question

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 24 Jan 2008, 22:46

Trevor wrote:One of my New Year's Resolutions is to play thru all the HOMM campaigns in order.

I finished HOMM the other week. But just to be sure, there were just the ten maps in a straight series to make the campaign, right? There were no alternate paths or anything? Also, no official expansions for HOMM, right?
There are no alternate paths, but you can play through as any of the 4 factions. Also, there is one map you do not see on the first time through- that being the one where you conquer your own land. What I mean is there are four maps where you conquer the knights, sorceresses, barbarians, and warlocks. You don't play the one which matches your faction. Probably not worth replaying just for that, but you did ask...

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 24 Jan 2008, 23:40

@Trevor

Neither I have played H2's Campaigns more than 3 times, and I had chosen Archibalds way once. For me it was easier. Now, I remember very few things from those H1 and H2 Campaigns, but this makes some difference so I remembered.
But actually is not that important, even more if you never played the 'bad guy'. And that sentance sounded more offensive than it truly was :)
Good gameing.

Trevor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trevor » 25 Jan 2008, 16:08

Akul wrote:Anyway, you choose hunting for crown or rising an army, not saving sorceress. You save them anyway.
See, my memory stinks. That hunting for the Crown is whipping me, the enemy has beaten me to it three times in a row. I'm about to just hire a ton of heroes and randomly dig in the general area.
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:There are no alternate paths, but you can play through as any of the 4 factions. Also, there is one map you do not see on the first time through- that being the one where you conquer your own land. What I mean is there are four maps where you conquer the knights, sorceresses, barbarians, and warlocks. You don't play the one which matches your faction. Probably not worth replaying just for that, but you did ask...
Thanks, I forgot about that. I'll need to beat the knight map then, so back to HOMM1 I go.......

Muszka, yep I'm looking forward to playing the bad guy for once.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 25 Jan 2008, 19:57

Trevor wrote: Muszka, yep I'm looking forward to playing the bad guy for once.
"Come to the dark side Luke, together we can rule the Universe."
Just kidding. Alternate paths are always fun. :)

Trevor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: HOMM Campaigns question

Unread postby Trevor » 25 Jan 2008, 20:17

Qurqirish Dragon wrote: there is one map you do not see on the first time through- that being the one where you conquer your own land. What I mean is there are four maps where you conquer the knights, sorceresses, barbarians, and warlocks. You don't play the one which matches your faction. Probably not worth replaying just for that, but you did ask...
I just realized that I may have to replay several maps in order to get to the one where you take out the knights. I'd rather not replay more than I have to, so if there any chance that one of you has a HOMM1 campaign save that may help.

I will try to figure out what exact save I'll need once I get home. But it will have to be a scenario win while you're playing as anyone other than the knight.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Jan 2008, 21:40

I checked and I have an autosaved game from when I was playing the campaign as the barbarian. Let me know if you'd like that, and I'll send it to your email.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Trevor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trevor » 25 Jan 2008, 22:07

Metathron wrote:I checked and I have an autosaved game from when I was playing the campaign as the barbarian. Let me know if you'd like that, and I'll send it to your email.
That would rock. When I get home I'll try to figure out exactly which map the knight battle would be.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Jan 2008, 22:59

It's the fifth one.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Trevor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trevor » 25 Jan 2008, 23:39

Metathron wrote:It's the fifth one.
Sweet, thanks for that! If you email it to me I'll play it tonight when i get home!

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 26 Jan 2008, 01:20

Kristo wrote:You flip to the other campaign's track if you switch sides, losing any bonuses you may have gained. I wouldn't want to re-play "Country Lords" in Arhicbald's campaign without both the Ogre and Dragon Alliances. I've never been able to win it without them. Unless your OCD includes masochism, I'd say one play through of each campaign is good enough.
Although I had the dragon alliance (but not ogre), I did win that scenario nack in 1996, without having a single dragon join me. It was insanely difficult and had to restart many times.

Trevor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trevor » 27 Jan 2008, 12:30

I reloaded my good campaign , went to the flip option scenario, and changed sides. The first map you play is not the difficult one you mention, but the map where it is 3 castles against 1 on a small map. In normal mode, you are the one vs the 3, but when you flip, you have 3 vs their one, making it the easiest map of any campaign. The cut scenes before and after are different. After that, it just continues as the regular campaign but without you having earned those alliances. So I'm not masochistic enough to play all the scenarios after having flipped, but I am satisfied that I have played every possible "different" option and seen every possible cut scene.
Metathron wrote:I checked and I have an autosaved game from when I was playing the campaign as the barbarian. Let me know if you'd like that, and I'll send it to your email.
Thanks again for the save. I got it yesterday and started that map. It is nice to see the opposing viewpoint from the map/campaign I finished as a knight.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”