H3: Logistic problems

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 04 Feb 2006, 09:37

Banedon wrote:Besides, I don't think you'd have the Gold to spend on buying these creatures; I'd definitely prefer channeling that Gold to level 7 dwellings.

Hmm, I'm sometimes using these stacks. They can be great support for main high lvl army. And it somewhat tricky to transport them into main army tightly before the battle begin. And it can save much of my gold reserve.

Once again you aren't discussing the same situation :devil:, the one thing, for what are HIII. so great is that in different times differents tactics could be used.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 04 Feb 2006, 12:34

Banedon wrote:I don't quite think you can call an army made out of Dwarves and Dendroids a second "main army". Such an army will be curiously impotent, and any reasonable army with a powerful Ranged stack can beat it. It applies to every race, because only the slow units are left behind - and the slow units cannot take on Ranged stacks.
In this specific Rampart case, Nucleon usually don't buy Dwarves 'n' Dendroids at all, until a invading army shows up at my second hero's (the Defender's) door. In siege defense, Nucleon knows few creatures as efficient as these. And they can be quite numerous.

Doesn't everybody doing that?

LordScimitar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LordScimitar » 04 Feb 2006, 13:34

I sometimes use slow moving units in my regular army. If I bring along a lot of archers, and I usually do as I really love using archers for no casualty victories, the enemy will come out of his castle to attack me. If he didn't, my archers would destroy his even with arrow towers against me. Or, if I have level 4 spells, earthquake and Resurrection nullify arrow towers.

In this case, once he leaves his castle to protect me, a mass haste or mass slow spell enables my slow moving units to get to his melee units. In this case, I'll take along Dendroids, Dwarves, golems, etc etc.
Gunnar>all.

SmokingBarrel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SmokingBarrel » 05 Feb 2006, 01:10

Lord Scimitar, your slow moving units might be able to reach across in battles with mass haste, but on the adventure map it slows you rmovement too much.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 05 Feb 2006, 01:13

In this specific Rampart case, Nucleon usually don't buy Dwarves 'n' Dendroids at all, until a invading army shows up at my second hero's (the Defender's) door. In siege defense, Nucleon knows few creatures as efficient as these. And they can be quite numerous.
Your second hero does not get to train then, and he will not reach level 10.

RK
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RK » 05 Feb 2006, 01:55

i'm still curious how u would even try to raise 2nd hero to acceptable lvl. learning stones may be good for 1 - 2 lvls..but unless we're talking about chest of gold exp. ..then I don't see how, unless he rotates the stack clearing duties with the main hero.

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 05 Feb 2006, 05:17

Banedon wrote:Your second hero does not get to train then, and he will not reach level 10.
Nucleon's second hero's lvl usually goes from 5 to 15, easily, depending on the lenght of the map. Defender heroes can gain a whole lot of experience simply by doing their job; resisting a siege. In open maps, that hero could sometime rival the experience of the main one, if it wasn't for the visiting locations such as Marletto towers, etc.

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 05 Feb 2006, 05:24

RK wrote:i'm still curious how u would even try to raise 2nd hero to acceptable lvl. learning stones may be good for 1 - 2 lvls..but unless we're talking about chest of gold exp. ..then I don't see how, unless he rotates the stack clearing duties with the main hero.
Usually, Nucleon begins clearing the mines with the Defending hero, and that usually bring him to lvl 3-4. At this point, the main army passes to the General and invasion commence.

When there is a "week of monsters", the Defender usually takes on him to clean out the place, without waiting for the General to com back to do it.

If your Defender didn't got any experience from holding the Capital... well, maybe you didn't need one in the first place.

:proud:

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 05 Feb 2006, 08:00

Nucleon's second hero's lvl usually goes from 5 to 15, easily, depending on the lenght of the map. Defender heroes can gain a whole lot of experience simply by doing their job; resisting a siege. In open maps, that hero could sometime rival the experience of the main one, if it wasn't for the visiting locations such as Marletto towers, etc.
I suppose your Capitol comes under seige often? Doesn't happen to me at all. Well, maybe once, but no more than that.
Usually, Nucleon begins clearing the mines with the Defending hero, and that usually bring him to lvl 3-4. At this point, the main army passes to the General and invasion commence.
That would be a great time to upgrade the main hero before he goes away. Still waiting for you to show us a save game where your secondary hero reaches level 10 and above.

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 05 Feb 2006, 13:35

Banedon wrote: That would be a great time to upgrade the main hero before he goes away.

Bah, to get a hero to lvl 4 takes 3200 xp (or less, if you take into account the smallish xp heroes got when hired). That's about the difference between lvls 11 and 12, meaning that it is un-notice-able from lvl 15 and up. However these 4 lvls can mean a lot to help your Defender survive his first siege.
Still waiting for you to show us a save game where your secondary hero reaches level 10 and above.
Sent!

Vulcanic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vulcanic » 06 Feb 2006, 00:37

Can't see the point of wasting money to buy a Defender, and you want to train the main hero anyway, so why use the defender to attack small creeps that guard the mines? For defense, just buy a few tough units and leave them there, when a bigger force comes in then buy more.

SmokingBarrel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SmokingBarrel » 06 Feb 2006, 01:14

The creeps guarding the mines...by the timeyou get a defender, all the mines would have been taken, won't it?

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 06 Feb 2006, 04:31

Can't load the game - probably a problem with versions. Perhaps you should post it here.

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 06 Feb 2006, 14:11

Banedon wrote:Can't load the game - probably a problem with versions. Perhaps you should post it here.
Yeah. It just occured to Nucleon that one of the random factions happened to be Conflux.

Nucleon can post it here (how does one do that?) or you can take Him on His word.

LordScimitar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LordScimitar » 07 Feb 2006, 02:39

SmokingBarrel wrote:Lord Scimitar, your slow moving units might be able to reach across in battles with mass haste, but on the adventure map it slows you rmovement too much.
True. It depends on the situation. If I'm already at my reach, and going any further without more units is going to destroy me, I take slow units. If I can only get that castle there by including slow units, I'll get a "miner" hero to start bringing them to me and meet them halfway with my main hero.

Basically, moving quickly, if you can't get through a chokepoint guarded by a monster with only light, fast creatures, then you have slowed yourself down more than if you had left the slow units back.
Gunnar>all.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 07 Feb 2006, 03:23

To post it here, link to a website where you have uploaded it. I don't know how since I don't dabble with HTML myself, but I'm sure someone can help with that.

There are few times when I find Dwarves or Dendroids crucial in a battle (aside from battles against another player). They're completely redundant. Against another player they'd be important of course, but it's rare for me to find neutrals I can't beat with only the fast-moving creatures.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”