HoMM III: Best level 4 creature

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

In my opinion, the best level 4 creature is

Crusader
21%
Silver Pegasus
4%
Archmage
4%
Vampire Lord
63%
Medusa Queen
No votes
Ogre Mage
1%
Greater Basilisk
7%
Energy Elemental
No votes

Total votes: 75

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Odish » 30 Nov 2007, 09:10

Wow, I Like many of them.
Th VL is an awesome unit that holds your army and function as main attcker until the skellis reach.
The AM is great because I have a weakness for shooters. I would usually shoot the enemy and wait for it to come to me, so I like this unit (and the many shooters in academy).
The Crusader is also a unit I love. if you can get high numbers of these they become unstopable.
and the Basilisks is another unit I like because you can amass them and they survive long. and when they manage to petrify it's very nice.

The Pegasi I can't seem to keep alive to long.
The Ogre is waaay too slow.
and the conflux is losing it's advantage starting from this lvl as all elementals are suppose to be somewhat equal in power.

anyway, I hadn't vote yet. ;|

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 30 Nov 2007, 10:45

Kristo wrote:The Vampire Lord's special ability is nice but they never seem to regenerate as much as you think they should.
When you are fighting against them it seems that they are regenerating more than they should :)

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 30 Nov 2007, 14:58

The level 4 choice is one of the toughest for me. I eventually came down on the side of Greater Basilisks. Vampire Lords and Crusaders are very, very, close, but they don't have as many legs. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Odish » 30 Nov 2007, 20:38

Bandobras Took wrote:The level 4 choice is one of the toughest for me. I eventually came down on the side of Greater Basilisks. Vampire Lords and Crusaders are very, very, close, but they don't have as many legs. :)
:D
You've just convinced me to vote for it!

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 20 Dec 2007, 15:32

I'll vote for the Vampire Lord also but I don't think that the Arch Magi is getting enough lovin' considering how good they are at sieging enemy positions.

Granted you won't be using them for a while unless you're rolling in excess funds but this still doesn't mean that they are a bad troop.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 21 Dec 2007, 16:09

The Vamp Lord has very useful abilities, so it gets the vote.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 22 Dec 2007, 09:30

I have the "Blahhh" from Homm2 in my HoMM3 game, and for this reason I pick the Vampires.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 22 Dec 2007, 15:07

Crusaders any day from what I remember. The crucial thing is that Crusaders get two strikes, meaning double damage.

Crusaders still rock too in Heroes IV.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 22 Dec 2007, 18:50

Vampire Lords have my vote, followed up with Crusaders being next. However, Crusaders never seemed to last all that long.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 24 Dec 2007, 04:11

Vampire Lord is the best. For same reason like others have said.

Greater Basilisk & Medusa Queen close for 2nd, these 2 have terrific petrifying special & can do lot of damage.

Other notable creatures are Silver Pegasi with speed & magic damper & Crusader with 2 strikes.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 21 Mar 2008, 09:00

Crusaders all the way!

The unit is quite powerful with nice stats, great speciality and it belongs
to my favourite Heroes III faction, the Castle. The number of HP makes them a tough opponent for their level. The 35 hit points makes them outlast creatures of equal ranking such as the Pegasi and the Mage.

Archmage is a close second.
I agree with UndeadHalfOrc that their special characteristics are one of the best in H3: No melee penalty, No obstacle penalty and also let us not forget the good ol' Hero spells cost less. This makes a nice counter effect to the Pegasi special, Magic damper.

All in all, I find the level 4 units to be the most interesting ones in the whole Heroes III creature parade.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 21 Mar 2008, 09:43

Crusaiders - vote,
Vamp. lords - second option. If numbers 1-30(40), crusaiders are better, however in big numbers, lets say 50+ ,Vampires could be better. But I like knights (Crusaiders). :D

pa4imir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Silver Pegasus!

Unread postby pa4imir » 21 Mar 2008, 14:20

Vampire Lord is a good unit in the begining and mid-game when you fight wondering monsters. But, in a battle against the army of a human opponent they are easily overwhelmed by most other 4-th level units.
Crusaders were my first thought. Tough, double strike, perfect defense to shooters.
But, lets see the Silver Pegasus:
1. flyer;
2. very good speed;
3. they stand on two-hexes, which, combined with speed lets them reach the opponents army in 1 turn;
4. increase mana cost for opponent;
5. higher growth;
6. good damage.
In 5-7-th week, which is the most probable time for the "big battle" I think they are the most useful 4-th level unit.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 21 Mar 2008, 14:37

Power lvevel based:

Ogre Mage 576
Greater Basilisk 600
Medusa Queen 360
Vampire Lord 480
Horned Demon 490
Archmage 378
Silver Pegasus 381
Crusader 540

Greater Basilisk wins

However Horned Demons have the greatest EQ, wich is 1,815

enk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby enk » 16 May 2008, 07:02

Here we go again, bored at work etc.

I used to think that level 4 is rather obvious victory for the Vamps (which it does seem like according to the poll results!) but other units do have their plusses. In this contest the participants seem to be: Arch Mage, Crusader, Greater Basilisk, Ogre Mage, Silver Pegasus and Vampire Lord. Phew, that leaves only medusas and demons out, plus those weirdly leveled elementals. As a spoiler I can say that I still picked the Vamp.

Starting with the mages, one can only say that there's one effective ranged unit. One of the best shooters in the game and nice specials. Not too fragile. I like their spell point cost reduction especially in maps where wells are rare. The arch mage is altogether a very solid unit that has no real weaknesses. It's just that level 4 is really really though. So sorry old fellow, you are not getting too high in this one.

The damage output of crusaders is very nice. What I don't like about them though, is their rather low HP for a melee tank unit, which clearly hints that they are not this kind of unit. Defense value is good though, so they're not taking that much damage but they're still a unit you need to be careful with. Somewhat on the slow side too, but this is not much of an issue really. So while the damage output is nice, they are not super units by any means. In my books they're competing with the ogres and the winner really depends on the situation. If there's no need to absorb damage, the crusaders win clearly.

The basilisk is what I'd call a gamble unit. It's rather fast and the petrification special can save your day when playing Fortress. However it's not something to rely on and otherwiser the basilisks are not so great. They're fairly speedy though which is a nice thing in the Fortress army. I've won difficult siege battles and hence games thanks to the petrification special, so these green guys do reserve a honorary mention. That's about all they're getting in this competition though.

The ogres are freaking sturdy. 60 HP for a level 4 unit? Yes please! Not only are they durable, but they pack some punch as well. The spellcasting special is okay, at least they got something to do if they're not able to engage the enemy ASAP. These guys are excellent tanks and retaliation stealers, perhaps allowing your wolf raiders to attack unretaliated. If there's anything left to attack that is. Seriously though, the ogres are not much more but walking stacks of HP but that alone means a lot. A big stack of them is something no one takes lightly. In some situations they are better than crusaders, in others not. So they're either second or third.

The pegasi are fragile. The magic dampening special is not as good as the magi's but still okay if the battle drags on, or the enemy was in short supply of spell points in the beginning. This however is not usually the case. This is actually much the same as dragon flies. Fast, but not very durable. You don't send them out there instantly because if you do, they die so fast it's not even funny. They do give an early casting though. There's not much for me to like about this unit really, since it's just way too weak. The added growth compensates though and does make this a good competitor but only against the basilisk and arch mage.

Vampires rule. Even after seriously considering the good sides of all other level 4 units, the vampires are awesome. Any other level 4 unit will somewhat diminish in numbers during the course of the game but not the vampires if you know how to play with them. Okay speed, flyer, no retaliation and little to no losses against living units. Good HP too. What they don't have is damage output but they make up for it by being in bigger numbers than other units, usually, and lasting longer. The enemy has to put some serious effort into hurting them too which either leaves them free to do what they will, or ties the opponent's resources for a while allowing your other units to go on a rampage. Vampires + counterstrike is great fun too and animate dead doesn't even need to be mentioned. Even without Necropolis fangirling I'm just simply compelled to vote for them.

BigThingWithHolesInIt
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BigThingWithHolesInIt » 17 May 2008, 08:17

Vampire Lords, the best one-stack army that does not involve Armageddon.

Mihalidis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mihalidis » 26 Dec 2012, 20:24

i say Vampire lords..though archmagi and crusaders can offer alot as well.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”