H3 - Game Notes - Not so known facts.

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 May 2008, 05:41

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Can Azure, Crystal, Fairy, Rust dragons be recruited at a Refugee Camp?

It certainly never happened to me in any game.
They cannot, only normal units of lvl 1-7 can. If you would modify the game to doing so, then it would be very interesting option I would say. ;)

Also first refugee camp recruits are only pikes.
(Same like that first fee from Wood Mill is only half. )
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 14 May 2008, 10:20

Here's another weird bug I encountered in Heroes III. It happaned thus:
first, I had a large army that was having its spell points replenished at my ally's Rampart. My ally had a small garrison inside its castle and a Hero nearby the said Rampart. This is when the enemy Hero appeared. The Teal enemy Hero had an army powerful enough to defeat many times over the garrison protecting my ally's Rampart.

So, battle takes place. As I'm not allowed to defend my ally's castle with my own army and Hero, the CPU enemy defeats the garrison. With a strange side effect my ally transported some of his army to me because seemingly I had much better chances to deal with the enemy. I was left with two stacks of his troops. They were not his elite guard but perhaps of best use in that situation.

Then things got more complicated. Somehow the enemy Hero engaged in quickcombat action against my army, too. The battle resulted in the AI losing its entire army but it managed to keep his Hero and the Rampart it just captured. Voila! The AI stands there with a Hero that has no troops. When the CPU players had finished their turn it was time for me to act. I defeated automatically the "armyless Hero", recaptured the Rampart town and gave the extra troops back to my Blue Ally.

I took a screenshot right after the Teal enemy had finished its turn. You can see the astonishing outcome clearly in that pic. If anybody is interested in checking out the battle and the picture themselves, I have a save game and the screenshot here somewhere. The autosave is just seconds before the strange episode took place.

I strongly suspect that one of the factors why the Teal enemy was forced to battle my army also was because I was "inside" the Rampart and possessed the powerful artefact called Shackles of War.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 14 May 2008, 15:45

@UHO
Second what Pol said. Refugee camps can't hold creatures with lvls higher than 7 (upg. included)

@Yurian
I would like to take a look at that. Could you send it to me please. It sound really intriguing.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 May 2008, 18:12

Uhuh, it's not like you have been more worthy to use his army. The units are autosplitted. Defending hero will choose some and rest is moved to garrison - where you were staying, so to you.
So, battle takes place. As I'm not allowed to defend my ally's castle with my own army and Hero, the CPU enemy defeats the garrison.
Quite h3 typical, but still a bug. Known however.
I strongly suspect that one of the factors why the Teal enemy was forced to battle my army also was because I was "inside" the Rampart and possessed the powerful artefact called Shackles of War.
Could be. But sounds very unlikely. Higher chances are that it was acting like reverted event. (two events happen in opposite order)

Place the screenie and battles online. They are welcomed. :D
Last edited by Pol on 15 May 2008, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 14 May 2008, 21:14

Pol wrote:
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Can Azure, Crystal, Fairy, Rust dragons be recruited at a Refugee Camp?

It certainly never happened to me in any game.
They cannot, only normal units of lvl 1-7 can. If you would modify the game to doing so, then it would be very interesting option I would say. ;)

Also first refugee camp recruits are only pikes.
(Same like that first fee from Wood Mill is only half. )
Really? I could have sworn I recruited an Azure Dragon at a camp before. I recall not having enough resources.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

BigThingWithHolesInIt
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BigThingWithHolesInIt » 14 May 2008, 23:49

I'm glad to report that I can sort of relate to Yurian Stonebow's intriguing story, because a week or so ago I was playing a game where an armyless hero showed up as well. The AI was using her (it was Gird) as a scout, and when I engaged her I won instantly. I don't know what happened there, but it's possible that some of the enemy factions were allied and a similar thing occurred in an unexplored area.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 15 May 2008, 12:33

I received Yurian's save and screenie, although I was more curious about the save, it can be seen on the screenshot that some the AI's troops are in Yurian's army. Funny to see even if the save didn't worked, I mean the AI just didn't wanted to attack. I could only create armyless heroes in WoG, so this is sort of new for me in SoD

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 15 May 2008, 12:37

@Pol

I did some more testing on my own and discovered the following:

-the CPU doesn't always necessarily play its turn the same way, it changes the pattern and revaluates threats and primary targets and thus it won't attack the player every time when (re)loading the save game file

-the upper row in all castles is reserved for the garrison Hero and the lower row is for the visiting Hero. In my example the Blue CPU ally of mine had no garrison Hero because it didn't consider his castle likely to be attacked by enemy forces as long as my army was there. The fact that the enemy arrived via Dimension Door may have messed up his battle plan.

-the CPU ally places the two garrison stacks with my troops every time the attack takes place. I had two slots available and Blue had no Hero in town and that is why I reason the CPU acted that way. This is similar to the fact that when you are defending your own town against AI enemy player, the AI counts only the army that your Hero has with him and not those that are inside the town, placed in the upper that is the "garrison row". Of course when the enemy attacks you, the two armies are combined. Another favourite tactic of mine. :)

I zipped the autosave and two screenshots together and now they are on the Web, available for all members at ByteBanditmaps6. The folder is called Suspected bugs in Heroes III.

Merry testing! :)

With solidarity,

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 15 May 2008, 12:45

Has anyone ever experienced crashes when SELLING artifacts in the artifact merchant?

It happened to me in large maps, in progress and have no save game to show for it. I cannot reproduce the bug in test maps. Corruption maybe?

L0wn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby L0wn » 15 May 2008, 12:49

Does anyone know how wandering creatures grow? My guess is with a fixed percentage each week (but what percentage?). Anyone care to clear things up for me? Appreciated :)

BAD23ro

Unread postby BAD23ro » 15 May 2008, 13:28

is 10% per week

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 15 May 2008, 14:19

BAD23ro wrote:is 10% per week
I think it was higher for Heroes 2, correct?

I always seem to notice stacks getting huge very quickly in H2

BAD23ro

Unread postby BAD23ro » 15 May 2008, 14:59

For Heroes 2 is higher and is around 14% ;)

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 15 May 2008, 16:18

I would vote for 15% rounded up. I just made some calculations based on the recently played map :)

L0wn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby L0wn » 15 May 2008, 22:14

I noticed that when there are stacks of 'few' creatures on the map, they often don't increase. Is this coincidence, or is it because, if their quantity is 4 or less, they get an increase of 0,4 at most, which means they don't increase ever? Because they would increase to 4,4 which is 4. Maybe the week after that one, they increase to 4,84 which means 5. Though I think, in the second week, it increases to 4,4 because the 4,4 of the week before wasn't 'remembered' by the game engine.

Next question: when would such a stack of creatures increase: at 4,5 or at 5,00?

I do hope I make some sense to you guys :)

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 16 May 2008, 14:07

I think that was corrected in SoD/AB (don't remember which), so since than it remembers, and will increase from 4 to 5.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 May 2008, 18:10

Definitively, it will increase.
(And yes, it's one of corrected bugs. I was never too picky about knowing the details, so all together I don't know them. :D )
"We made it!"

BAD23ro

Unread postby BAD23ro » 16 May 2008, 18:40

Muszka wrote:I would vote for 15% rounded up. I just made some calculations based on the recently played map :)

Actually is 14,6%....I said 14%, but I was wrong, is 14,6% :D

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 17 May 2008, 13:40

BAD23ro wrote:
Muszka wrote:I would vote for 15% rounded up. I just made some calculations based on the recently played map :)

Actually is 14,6%....I said 14%, but I was wrong, is 14,6% :D
I won't correct you this time 'cos this was my result too :D I just thought the game will round it up.... :)

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 21 May 2008, 13:58

Does anyone know where I can look for chance how Heroes receive certain secondary skills at lvl up. For example, Knights and Earth Magic. As I wrote in other thread I play the 3rd or 4th game and received no EM. If I know correct, it's in the sprite.lod, but I dunno, how to extract it.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”