H3 - Game Notes - Not so known facts.

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 21 May 2008, 14:14

The file you're looking for is HCTRAITS.txt, in H3bitmap.lod. It can be extracted pretty easily with Resedit, available here:

http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/fo ... esedit.rar

To apply it to the game after changes, just place the modified .txt in your Data directory. Remove the file to reverse the process.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 21 May 2008, 14:32

Thanks Corlagon. I don't want to change it, at least not for personal use, and even less for a general testing.
Thanks again.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 21 May 2008, 18:06

Muszka wrote:Does anyone know where I can look for chance how Heroes receive certain secondary skills at lvl up. For example, Knights and Earth Magic. As I wrote in other thread I play the 3rd or 4th game and received no EM. If I know correct, it's in the sprite.lod, but I dunno, how to extract it.
Ideal Knight feature Water Magic, wisdom is not required but welcomed. Earth Magic is extra.

This is different for Necro and Dungeon they are supposed to feature Earth Magic regulary.

Very similar for Wizards too, with exception that all magic is preffered.

Resedit is hosted at CH. Either here or classicaly here.

For editing h3 text files is good for example this. Here are more choices certainly, from UHO, WoG etc...

Knight:
Fire Magic ** Water Magic ** Earth Magic ** Air Magic
-------1---------------4----------------2------------------3-------
Wizard:
-------2---------------3----------------3------------------4-------
Warlock:
-------5---------------2----------------5------------------2-------
Necromancer:
-------2---------------3----------------8------------------3-------
>> highest affinity!
;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 22 May 2008, 13:14

Thanks Pol :)
I wonder, were we would be without you...

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 23 May 2008, 15:05

I just found out that if you extract HCTRAITS.TXT, and forgot it in the data directory than you'll have frequent crashes with this error message:

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 23 May 2008, 15:31

Really? That's news to me. My Heroes 3 never crashes, at all.

(EDIT: except when selling artifacts!)

Did these crash started to happen recently, or due to any mod (wink) downloaded?
Last edited by UndeadHalfOrc on 04 Oct 2008, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 23 May 2008, 17:04

@Muszka

You will not. Did you used editor which I linked?

It's better to not edit any heroes txt files in normal editors. They are character sensitive. And many normal txt files hold thousands of characters which you never seen (line ends mostly) and thus not thought that they are modified based on which editor are you working with them per save basis.

That's what can be truly called a magic. - You don't see it but it works.
:D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 25 May 2008, 22:34

@UHO
No. It's not because of your mods. :)

@Pol
It took me some time to figure it out. But yes I edited the HCTRAITS.TXT with notepad2. But I never put it back in the .lod file. I just left there where the resedit extracted it. In the data directory. But you might be right what concerns the "invisible" bytes. I just wanted to take a look at the file and not edit it, so I didn't used the txt editor you showed me :ashamed:
Still it caused my game to crash when I lvled up a hero, and my hero got a new secondary skill to choose from.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 04 Oct 2008, 08:05

Index of kicked out artifacts:
Town of Plenty
Diplomat's Suit
Mired in Neutrality
Ironfist of the Ogre

...afaik here should be more..? Anyone have idea about "Town of Plenty"? The last planned campaing was certainly a diplomatic war.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 04 Oct 2008, 10:54

Why, do you know anything about the others?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 04 Oct 2008, 11:33

Vaguely, here were rumours...
"We made it!"

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 04 Oct 2008, 17:36

Is there any place where one can read about any of those. I mean not just here on RT, but on the net or in the game?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 04 Oct 2008, 18:52

I don't know myself, you should ask some veteran as long as they are visiting us at least scarcely. ;)
"We made it!"

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 05 Oct 2008, 04:34

Geez.. aren't you playing HoMM for 10 years now? that's more than enough for H3 facts... anyhow it was a question addressed to everyone (more or less)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 05 Oct 2008, 06:08

Pol wrote:Index of kicked out artifacts:
Town of Plenty
Diplomat's Suit
Mired in Neutrality
Ironfist of the Ogre
I haven't seen Town of Plenty. The other have their own ID numbers and names, but no effect. Beyond that, AFAIK, there are no traces of other artifacts in-game/in-editor.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Corbon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Corbon » 05 Oct 2008, 08:48

Some oddities which might haven't been covered

Artifact Resale Value: See respective topic (I call it a "bound slot price", happens if the hero possesses more than 5 unequipped artifacts).

The AI frequently cheats!

At least on Normal+ difficulty, it sometimes knows when a unit gets a morale boost and takes that into consideration on the next move.

Example 1: In the next round, the AI will be wiped out and has only one stack of slow shooters left. The shooters make their move (FIRE!) and then the AI is able to flee the battle because of a morale boost.

Example 2: A semi-fast unit moves some hexes forward for apparently no reason, then gets a morale boost and blocks your ranged unit with pinpoint accuracy.

Medusa's / Basilisk's Petrification is a Lv 3 "spell"
Scorpicore's Paralysis is a Lv 4 "spell".

A lucky strike (other than being a cig brand) only adds 100% base damage, not "double damage" (same as Deathblow). One reason why Leadership beats the crap out of Luck.

I have seen the Dragon Fly special becoming a mass spell (Mass Dispell and Weakness). This might be caused by the terrain.

There's also a hidden Gem Pond on the Deluge map, near the neutral underground town (the AI knows this).

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 05 Oct 2008, 17:59

Corbon wrote: have seen the Dragon Fly special becoming a mass spell (Mass Dispell and Weakness). This might be caused by the terrain.
Yes, that is. By Magic plains.

An oddity what I remember is when I had Witch hero having resistance, rushed into stack of neutral monsters and attempted to squish them with a spell message appearead saying:"Minotaurus resisted the spell." (in stat bar).

That isn't the worst, several times, heh in these ten yrs, happened to me that neutral unit does not only resisted but reflected the spell. And minotaurus are sort of candidates for such miracles.

Also with "Spell Learning" feature of pure H3 I once blinded all three enemy stacks. :devious:
Corbon wrote: There's also a hidden Gem Pond on the Deluge map, near the neutral underground town (the AI knows this).
Yes, AI see it. Computer always see how things are going, no tree can hide the artifact before his eyes. They aren't like yours. ;)

@G.C.
The Town of Plenty is from tail of artevent.txt
"We made it!"

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 05 Oct 2008, 21:17

Afaik the "Town of Plenty" was a beta name for the Cornucopia combination artifact.

By the way, you can actually access those kicked out artifacts in Heroes III Complete. Put a monster anywhere with the map editor, double-click it, enter "Treasure". The forgotten artifacts are miraculously available in the Artifact tab.

I think this is disabled in WoG, though, because the WoG artifacts replace the deleted ones.

Corbon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Corbon » 05 Oct 2008, 23:20

If you destroy an enemy army and only have summoned elementals left, you'll lose the hero with no Exp gain, even with Necromancy. If the enemy army is lead by a hero, both heroes will be lost (sort of a "draw"). Town defending armies will keep the town in any case. The logic behind this is debatable.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 06 Oct 2008, 00:40

Pol wrote:Yes, AI see it. Computer always see how things are going, no tree can hide the artifact before his eyes. They aren't like yours.
That's why is a good thing to press V once in a while... :)
That isn't the worst, several times, heh in these ten yrs, happened to me that neutral unit does not only resisted but reflected the spell. And minotaurus are sort of candidates for such miracles.
Never seen anything like that 8| I wonder what could cause that... ;|

Return to “Heroes I-IV”