H3 - Game Notes - Not so known facts.

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Pol
Admin
Admin

H3 - Game Notes - Not so known facts.

Unread postby Pol » 24 Nov 2007, 16:56

Demons rising:
One Pit Lord can raise maximally 1.4 demon for every 35hp of died allied stack.
Example: 10 Pit Lords can raise 14 Demons from the dead stack of 123 Familiars
+HP artifacts have boosting effect here

Archangel's Ressurection:
One Archangel can revive for 100hp. First units must be fully revived (ie even 2 Archangels can not revive 1 Titan.)
+HP artifacts have hindering effect here.

Faerie Dragon's casting:
They are casting offensive direct damage spells lvl 1-4, armageddon is excluded.
They are casting on Advanced Level(bonus is calc once per stack) with power 5 per dragon.
Looong Example...
1FD - Fireball - dmg 80 (30+5x10)
2FD - Fireball - dmg 130 (30+2x5x10)
3FD - Fireball - 180 (30+3x5x10)
1FD - Magic Arrow - dmg 70 (20+5x10)
1FD - Frost Ring - dmg 80 (30+5x10)
3FD - Iceball - 320 (20+3x5x20)
2FD - Iceball - 220 (20+2x5x20)
1FD - Iceball - 120 (20+5x20)
1FD - Lightn. Bolt - dmg 145 (20+5x25)
2FD - Lightn. Bolt - dmg 270 (20+2x5x25)
1FD - Inferno - dmg 90 (40+5x10)
2FD - MeteorShw - dmg 300 (50+2x5x25)

Press F to position the spell. Spell offered first and after wait phase could differ.

Magic Plains:
All spells are working at master level, means not only yours but if happen a curse from Dread Knights, entire enemy army is cursed as well.

Dwarven Treasuries
Effect is cumulative, two treasuries means double interest. (2x10%)

Mighty Gorgons Death Stare
10% chance per MG. The chances are calculated per MG. Means if you have 5MG, you are five times asked about 10%prob. So the probability is applied sequentially.

Master Genies
are friendly spell casters. They casting at Advanced level all benefical spells. (That means Cure, Dispel, Fire Shield, Magic Mirror are in but Animate Dead or Ressurection are out of question.)

"Rumours"
By default all spells casted by creatures last for 5 turns and are on Advanced Level.

Dispel is the only spell which can work on all Dragons (against rooting fe.).

Fear and Aging are both 5th lvl spells. (Same goes for Titan's Lightning Bolt Spell)

Petrifying and Poisoning are 3rd lvl spells, both will last for three turns. Stoned creature will take only half damage when attacked. Rooting and Death Stare cannot be prevented. (So be careful with Harpies, aka bug.)

Disrupting Ray can be casted multiple times with increasing effect on the same stack and cannot be removed (cure, dispel, antimagic).

Casting Antimagic on units with bad and good spells will remove all bad spells and conserve the good ones. Further casting of spells on the same unit is however prevented* - with exception of Dispel. (*If it was casted by Expert Earth Magic)

Dispel can vanish mines and firewalls. As well as quicksands. Ressurected previously fully dead stack is purged from all spells.

Psychic/Magic elementals have some additional attack bonuses, which doesn't work only on these with mind (Giants, Titans..)/spell immunity(Black Dragons).

Dead corpses before the gate will prevent its opening.

Sharpshooter's Bow sustains full ranged attack at any distance.

Minotaurus Kings have always good morale.

Stoning, Petrifying, Poisoning, Rooting and Aging would be all Earth Magic Spells.

Rooting can be Dispeled. But using the Antimagic will be having no avail.

Maximum Poisoning effect would be the same like for Aging.

Undeads are immune to Blind/Curse in all odds, but it can be helped for Bersekr/Hypnotize/Frenzy (Orb).

The elementals are/aren't immune to Magic Arrow.
(fact that it can be both is bug actually).

In Tactics phase don't walk over trench, it hurst exactly the same like in combat (yep, yep another bug).

Cyclops can attack fortification even if they are surrounded by adjancent enemy unit.

Each hero is different!
(means it's having different percentual affinity for succesfull effect of Diplomacy and few other skills.)

Being a Diplomat you can visit Library of Enlightement prematurely, the Estates will however doesn't work.

Morale cannot tune with Undeads, effect of +3 Morale/Luck is maximum, Luck probabilities are halved against the affirmation in help file. Luck works best with Death Knights.

Badge of Courage provides immunity to mind binding spells (Blind, Hypnotize, Bersekr, Frenzy) but not against Fear. And Fear works against Undeads. Nicely The Orb of Vulnerability can counter extraordinery Badge of Courage effects.

Frenzy can be cast on Azure Dragons, like every other 4-5th lvl's spells.

Hypnotized unit will not open you a gate.

The Cavaliers are upgraded for free in Stables.

The external Trade Market ratio has always rate of 5 towns.

Here cannot be more than 48 towns on the map.

src
me, celestialheavens.com, heroescommunity. com (csarmi, Qurqirish Dragon, Xarfax11, Vlaad, all fans)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 24 Nov 2007, 18:29

Please clarify about Mighty Gorgons. Does it work like this:

3 mighty gorgons:
Failure, Success, Success -> 1 Death Stare
(Death Stare works exactly the same every time)

or like this:

3 mighty gorgons:
Failure, Success, Success -> 2x Death Stare
(So that exactly 2 units die per success)

Yeah, I'm not at all familiar with the mechanics.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 24 Nov 2007, 18:44

3 mighty gorgons:
Failure, Success, Success -> 2x Death Stare
(So that exactly 2 units die per success)

Second example is correct, although is highly unlikely. ;)

Here was more from Q.D. somewhere, including the correct fast mathematical formula. I do remember that here's such formula, long ago I was taught it(yes it's from high school). But I must confess that I'm not able to recreate it again from head (without sitting down and using paper). That is it.

The overall probability of course never reach the 100%, but it's almost guaranteed that for 10MG here will follows one death. So for 100MG it will be averagely 10 deaths.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Re: H3 - Game Notes - Not so known facts.

Unread postby Paulus1 » 24 Nov 2007, 19:18

Pol wrote:
Magic Plains:
All spells are working at master level, means not only yours but if happen a curse from Dread Knights, entire enemy army is cursed as well.

Beware of dragonflies on magic plains. Their Dispel magic skill has the effect of mass dispel when used.

Pol wrote:
"Rumours"
Being a Diplomat you can visit Library of Enlightement prematurely, the Estates will however doesn't work.

Works like this:
Standard hero needs lvl 10
Basic diplomacy hero needs lvl 8
Advanced diplomacy hero needs lvl 6
Expert diplomacy hero only needs lvl 4

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Nov 2007, 00:24

"Rumours"
The AI can bring you a Grail if you will be kind on her.

With Oasis you can run around a whole map in one day.

As quill is more powefull than sword, a unit can travel further than any hero.

Don't miss your chance for victory, miss your chance to become a greedy one.

Speed is life, life is speed.
(This is sort of classic already in the game, like some others.)

Sir Mullich was here first.

The Dimension Doors can shorten your way in fared Seas.

Here's special tool for map makers which brings in the game new hidden objects and allows them to be maped.

"The still waters of the northern sea part momentarily to wash up an old man. Lords of Light!!! It's the vassal of your father. Those evil invaders have slain the best friend you ever had."
--Gelea's Champion

"Imprisoned: Rion the cleric. Convicted of: Too much a goodygoody. Sentence: Life"
--Serpent's Treasure

PS Here was project about rumors in the Tavern in the heroescommunity until Xarfax wiped it out. Still something was saved.. and will be buried deeply in.
"We made it!"

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 25 Nov 2007, 04:13

In a map I got the Fear spell, from a pyramid, altough it reads in bracket after that is disabled.
The map name was America and my friend discovered it firstly, but since he had no Expert wisdom we thought that he lost the chance to learn it. But I've tried the same map a few times and I'got it too now having expert Wisdom but it had given the same message.

I have the pictures somewhere. Now that was about 5 years ago. So I have to dig out.
Does anyone knows what kind of trickery is that?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Nov 2007, 08:38

Of course it's the same Fear spell which I had mentioned previously in the "rumours".

However cause you don't have a testing alpha version of Armageddon Blade it will never work for you. If you will patch your game, that spell will be no longer offered.

(Be happy if this is the only what happened to you, AB was pretty buggy in Pyramids, you may have even received Spell Nothing - which did exactly what was written :devious: or lower lvl spells. * In AB also by some mishap you could encounter Negative Luck or Super Blind - from spell learning - means you sometime was able to cast spell on higher effeciency than you was currently apt.)
"We made it!"

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 25 Nov 2007, 08:54

Awesome stuff, I didn't know about several of them. :)

Heretic_Cata
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Heretic_Cata » 25 Nov 2007, 10:45

Let's not forget the Market of Time too. :)
"Be who you are and say what you feel - those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 25 Nov 2007, 13:02

Heretic_Cata wrote:Let's not forget the Market of Time too. :)
What's about that? It's a WoG building, found on a few Erathian maps. It works only in WoG.

@Pol
Yes it's that spell. What about the Negative Luck; I think I've encountered, but I'm not that sure. Spell Nothing and SuperBlind? Either I never got them or I never observed.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 25 Nov 2007, 13:06

10% chance per MG. The chances are calculated per MG. Means if you have 5MG, you are five times asked about 10%prob. So the probability is applied sequentially.
Are you sure? I read somewhere the chances are maximized if you split your Mighty Gorgons in stacks of 11, 21, 31, etc.

You also ascribe to Dispel some properties I thought applies only to Remove Obstacle (such as removing FireWall).
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Nov 2007, 13:12

Dispel removes Land Mines, if nothing else. Great if you're besieging Tower.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Nov 2007, 14:14

@Banedon
Dispel removes all of them and Dispel is in fact not treated like a spell, despite the pretty animation.

Remove Obstacle allows you to pick a hex to purge. So you may do a hole in the Expert Firewall, get out one mine etc... - all what's classified like an obstacle. (Only true terrain obstacles will be removed completely.)

That note about MG is true, if you would calculate it from the same base which I provided (and which is in game help), it would lead you to the same conclusion. Here's hidden safety in multiples of ten plus one. ;)
"We made it!"

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 25 Nov 2007, 15:01

Banedon wrote:
Are you sure? I read somewhere the chances are maximized if you split your Mighty Gorgons in stacks of 11, 21, 31, etc.
quote]

The chances of getting at least one kill by a death stare is the same regardless of how the MGs are broken up. What splitting the stack does is increase the MAXIMUM number of kills a stack can get. This is because the number of kills a stack of MGs can cause is up to 10% of the stack size, rounded up. Thus 22 MGs can kill up to 3 creatures, but two stacks of 11 can each kill up to 2 (for a total of 4). That's why efficiency increases. Generally, once you have around 40 MGs, you are very likely to earn more kills than the 10% level, and so splitting helps.

As for the number of kills a stack gets on average, you can look up the expected value and standard variation of a binomial random variable with p=0.1

For those not mathematically inclined, you get, on average, 1 kill for every 10 MGs (as you would expect), and about 84% of the time you will get between (# MGs)/10 - 0.3*sqrt(#MGs) and (# MGs)/10
So, with a stack of 100 MGs, you will get between 7 and 10 kills 84% of the time.

Heretic_Cata
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Heretic_Cata » 25 Nov 2007, 18:06

Muszka wrote:
What's about that? It's a WoG building, found on a few Erathian maps. It works only in WoG.
I meant before WoG.
"Be who you are and say what you feel - those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 25 Nov 2007, 18:50

Heretic_Cata wrote:
Muszka wrote:
I meant before WoG.
As far as I know, never worked before WoG.

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 25 Nov 2007, 19:34

But it was in the game - in a single map - doing nothing... just like the Fear spell mentioned earlier.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Nov 2007, 19:50

Market of Time
Titan's Winter. - There it was. Sitting like a peacock and gleaming to you and when you came to the object. Whoa, nothing. :D

This is not the only hidden objects, here's also old Gnoll Hut and Swamp Campfire. Both only graphics.

@Muszka
Spell Nothing... Well that was reward from the Pyramid like the Fear previously, with pic of an empty scroll and you just get ...nothing. :tongue:

Super Blind is my term and it's reffering to occurence of blinding more stacks by one spell. Old RoE and AB was practisizing "Spell Learning Logic", so being on the Advanced or just Basic level and casting a Shield on one of your unit, when it comes to the effect, more units, usually from two to three were enchanted. I suppose that it was here to smooth transition between Advanced and Expert spell casting like one more random factor.

Bad Luck happened to me in fight Inferno vs. Inferno. Here wasn't any animation I was just fighting with AD enemy AD and notice in first round damage around forty and in the second round (still with 2AD) only about twenty, with laconic message in the console that Bad Luck caused halved damage. It occured to me in that battle even once more with other unit. Eeee. Unwelcomed but refreshing surprise.
Last edited by Pol on 25 Nov 2007, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Nov 2007, 20:17

What next...
maybe explanation of bonuses Units/Sec. Skill/Spell. (Geez, too long) Or battles with summoned elementals. Or relation between mine and Efreet Sultan or other unit supposed to be magicaly immuned to it. Which isn't always, only in 99.9999% ;)

Or maybe special product of AI, heroes without units :devious:

Someone else may start, anytime....
"We made it!"

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 26 Nov 2007, 08:50

This is not the only hidden objects, here's also old Gnoll Hut and Swamp Campfire. Both only graphics.
Hey Pol, I don't beleive I've ever seen these have I?

Return to “Heroes I-IV”