HoMM III: Best level 3 creature

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

In my opinion, the best level 3 creature is

Royal Griffin
13%
Grand Elf
50%
Iron Golem
No votes
Cerberus
11%
Wraith
No votes
Evil Eye
7%
Orc Chieftain
2%
Dragonfly
14%
Ice Elemental
3%

Total votes: 124

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 26 Nov 2007, 21:32

JollyJoker wrote:While in practise no one goes with Elves alone
Who can speak with the kind of authority to say that no one does something? I may do exactly that sometimes, though my targets will be chosen with care.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 26 Nov 2007, 22:16

My definition of "best" was:
Which one do I always use as a backbone when choosing that town type?

Orc Chieftain.

With the other towns, I'll vary, but Orc Chieftains are cheap and combine with a Barbarian's high attack for good damage relative to their cost.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 26 Nov 2007, 22:59

What version are you playing on? I've never seen neutrals split into 7 stacks.
Does it matter the version? If you play impossible and you attack 20 Tbirds or Minotaurs or Vamps. with 50 Gelves, They will surely split up in 7 stacks and they'll wait, that's also sure. (Let's say you split in a 22 and a 23 unit stack + 5*1 unit guards.) if in first round you kill two stacks, than Tbirds/MinK/Vamp move, and move again killing all the guards, and then you kill two more, that leaves three stack standing, (in the best 3,3,2) but they come first in the next round and I doubt that 23 Gelves can kill in melee 3 Birds/MinKs/Vamps.

Than I agree GC that nor 50 DragonF can win such fight alone, but I say that 50 RGriffins can. And we didn't calculated the Growt.

Anyway that's absurd, cos noone would attack such army, may they win or lust it would be stupidity.
And if that's only for the sake of the example, than I say that's just AN EXAMPLE, should we rate an unit only because of conclusion from that example, we are blind.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 26 Nov 2007, 23:57

Muszka wrote:Does it matter the version? If you play impossible and you attack 20 Tbirds or Minotaurs or Vamps. with 50 Gelves, They will surely split up in 7 stacks and they'll wait, that's also sure. (Let's say you split in a 22 and a 23 unit stack + 5*1 unit guards.) if in first round you kill two stacks, than Tbirds/MinK/Vamp move, and move again killing all the guards, and then you kill two more, that leaves three stack standing, (in the best 3,3,2) but they come first in the next round and I doubt that 23 Gelves can kill in melee 3 Birds/MinKs/Vamps.
How do you predict the amount of stacks the AI is going to split into?

Indeed, after a night's sleep I recall the AI splitting into 7 stacks, which would make it highly risky to attack 20 Thunderbirds with 50 Grand Elves. But even so, the Grand Elves stand a better chance than 50 Dragonflies :) As for Royal Griffins winning the fight, well maybe they can, but the losses would be heavy. Looking at the Minotaur calculations again, under the best case the Grand Elves can kill 15 Minotaurs with associated loss of 4 Elves, but Royal Griffins can't get anywhere close to that.
In the best possible scenario (without any special terrain), you have one Minotaur stack, and will get in 1 volley at half strength and 4 at full, killing some 14 Minotaurs, and have melee capabilities for another. (All this disregarding morale, which could screw up for the Elves).
Why are you getting only 5 shots off? If the Minotaurs go in a single stack, they'll take three turns before they can start hitting the Grand Elves, and then another four turns before they can start hitting the main stack.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 27 Nov 2007, 01:15

Banedon wrote:How do you predict the amount of stacks the AI is going to split into?
Though I don't know the exact numbers, I know that it's related with my armies strenght and his armies strength. I also assume that it has some randomness in it. The Weaker my army is(compared to his), the more stacks will be. If my army is much stronger than his, there is a random chance that neutral armies to come in 1, 2 or 3 stacks.
Banedon wrote: Indeed, after a night's sleep I recall the AI splitting into 7 stacks, which would make it highly risky to attack 20 Thunderbirds with 50 Grand Elves. But even so, the Grand Elves stand a better chance than 50 Dragonflies :) As for Royal Griffins winning the fight, well maybe they can, but the losses would be heavy. Looking at the Minotaur calculations again, under the best case the Grand Elves can kill 15 Minotaurs with associated loss of 4 Elves, but Royal Griffins can't get anywhere close to that.
I've mentioned that DF couldn't kill them. But I seriously doubt that 50 RGriffins won't kill 20 MinKings.
Banedon wrote:
In the best possible scenario (without any special terrain), you have one Minotaur stack, and will get in 1 volley at half strength and 4 at full, killing some 14 Minotaurs, and have melee capabilities for another. (All this disregarding morale, which could screw up for the Elves).
Why are you getting only 5 shots off? If the Minotaurs go in a single stack, they'll take three turns before they can start hitting the Grand Elves, and then another four turns before they can start hitting the main stack.
Why would they attack in one stack? I don't think MinKs know the word 'pity'. I don't know if on other difficulties could happen, but on impossible they would come at least in 6 stacks. And that would be a situation much like with Tunderbirds, since even with 8 speed(*2 = 16) can reach a lot of areas.

PS: But IF we take that the MinKings come in 1 stack, even if the chance of that is 0%, then you are right, the GE would win.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Nov 2007, 01:24

The MK have speed eight and high probability for additional attack (always good morale). So they will reach GE from first to the third round. (battleground is 15x11 hexes)

Considering only offensive (A,dmg, sp) attributes is obviously very limited view. In any tough battle you will not survive only with blitz attack strategy. For equal forces, or stronger opponent here inevitable come a defend phase to consider, sometime you may start with it. Here are numerous strategies how to destroy GE along with theirs guards, not only spells(dd, area damage, stone skin + air shield, blind) but also Dragons So regarding fact that GE are excellent shooters, often picked for that reason they haven't highest combat value. They are specilized units, they have theirs pros and cons and both are huge. From that GE are predetermined to be everyone choice to kill - dangerous with dangerously low hp. A primavera candiate for quick death. (Same goes for Marksmen though)

Finally comparing shooters and hand-to-hand combat units is somewhat cumbersome.
How do you predict the amount of stacks the AI is going to split into?
Easy. As a matter of fact. You should too ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 27 Nov 2007, 06:24

Heroes is a game of chance, so consequently you'd have to do the following.
1) Define the number of creatures to be tested. The relevant time for testing a unit against neutrals would be weeks 2 and 3, difficulty hard (average difficulty). This would be akin to test with about 2 full populations for week 2 and 3 for week 3, avarage 2 and 1/2 weeks = 35 Elves (40 Flies, 32 or 33 Cerberi, 42 or 43 Griffins and so on)
2) Define the number of creatures to fight against: I'd suggest 1 1/2 weekly populations.
3) Define the split for the unit to be tested. This is a difficult point. Shooters are at a disadvantage here because against fast units they can't form fast enough and slow ones will have difficulties forming a defensive formation. This is certainly open to discussion on how to do it.
4) Tests would have to be conducted with neutrals split into 1-7 stacks. Final result would be the average result. A couple of tests might bring the result that average result is always the x-stack result which would make things simple.

For Elves the principle result is pretty clear: they will have a sharply defined "breaking point" since they are so vulnerable and their damage output is quartered in melee. That means, ultimately they'll either beat a stack losing a few at most or lose the fight completely. (Others will have more battles with a result of losing half their numbers or so.
ZZZzzzz....

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 27 Nov 2007, 07:07

Banedon wrote:
Well, I thought minotaurs were speedier than they actually are ;)

And though I did the numbers here, I'd still like to point out that such calculations don't have much point to them, unless you do them for every possible opponent (and several times to rule out freak morale incidents and the like). Minotaurs are grunts, which makes them ideal enemies for Elves but dangerous enemies for the Dragonflies. The result would be very different against Liches or Zealots, were Dragonflies would be the ones to with the better result.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 27 Nov 2007, 11:17

Gaidal Cain wrote: Minotaurs are grunts, which makes them ideal enemies for Elves but dangerous enemies for the Dragonflies.
I wouldn't say that MK are so ideal enemy for GE, since they have greater speed and awesome damage. Of course if you have mass slow things change (but that's another story)
Gaidal Cain wrote: The result would be very different against Liches or Zealots, were Dragonflies would be the ones to with the better result.
Zealots? I'm sure they have no melee penalty so DF won't stand so high chance against them too.

But since when we rate units after 'who dies slower' criterias?

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 28 Nov 2007, 01:11

Muszka wrote:But since when we rate units after 'who dies slower' criterias?
No, but it's meant to show JJ that his misconception that Grand Elves work only with bodyguards stems from the pre-conceived notion that it's not possible to split Grand Elves to guard themselves. I would've thought it so obvious that everyone does it when they have no other blockers, and yet...
Gaidal Cain wrote:And though I did the numbers here, I'd still like to point out that such calculations don't have much point to them, unless you do them for every possible opponent (and several times to rule out freak morale incidents and the like). Minotaurs are grunts, which makes them ideal enemies for Elves but dangerous enemies for the Dragonflies. The result would be very different against Liches or Zealots, were Dragonflies would be the ones to with the better result.
Another point is that there're a lot more grunts than non-grunts. Among the lower-tier creatures (levels 1-5), there are few fast fliers (off the top of my head, Dragonflies are the only ones that can cross the battlefield in a turn) and relatively few shooters (I think every level includes more walkers than shooters). This just makes Grand Elves a lot more effective against the map than Dragonflies and Royal Griffins, because they have such a wider range of viability.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 28 Nov 2007, 02:18

Banedon wrote: Another point is that there're a lot more grunts than non-grunts. Among the lower-tier creatures (levels 1-5), there are few fast fliers (off the top of my head, Dragonflies are the only ones that can cross the battlefield in a turn) and relatively few shooters (I think every level includes more walkers than shooters). This just makes Grand Elves a lot more effective against the map than Dragonflies and Royal Griffins, because they have such a wider range of viability.
It's true that there are more grunts than non grunts in the low lvl troops, and that makes the GE with bodyguards an awesome unit in the early game. And since the Griffin building is off the build-chain to PoG, you rarely use them in the begining(a fact that you've mentioned), but starting from midgame they are a base unit of the Castle, 'cos they got quite a good growt. I'm pretty sure that they can be used in many ways, even more than GE (who can only attack)
Also I think that it wasn't a random thing that NWC put Griffins as emblem of the Empire.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 28 Nov 2007, 15:13

Banedon wrote:Another point is that there're a lot more grunts than non-grunts. Among the lower-tier creatures (levels 1-5), there are few fast fliers (off the top of my head, Dragonflies are the only ones that can cross the battlefield in a turn) and relatively few shooters (I think every level includes more walkers than shooters).
Side note . . . Silver Pegasi are 1 slower than Dragonflies, but are a 2-hex creature, and so can cross the battlefield in one turn as well.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 28 Nov 2007, 20:07

I notice that nobody so far voted for the Iron Golems (although they were much more popular in the equivalent Heroes2 poll).

I agree, with SoD 3.2 data they are inferior, but I think this is the case mostly because of their very, very poor growth rate (only 12 per week when fully built, lowest of all towns). I buffed it to 14 per week in my personal balance patch. Their basic stats and cost are already excellent.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 28 Nov 2007, 20:33

I think Steel Golems were popular in H2 mostly because of the smaller battlefield and because of the fewer creature types. I don't think that even with a growt of 20 I would buy them, especially in the expensivest town.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 Nov 2007, 20:48

Stone Golems are too slow to use, and when you get to Iron, you usually have Nagas and thus not much of a need for them (until the enemy comes knocking on your door).
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 30 Nov 2007, 03:21

Muszka wrote:It's true that there are more grunts than non grunts in the low lvl troops, and that makes the GE with bodyguards an awesome unit in the early game. And since the Griffin building is off the build-chain to PoG, you rarely use them in the begining(a fact that you've mentioned), but starting from midgame they are a base unit of the Castle, 'cos they got quite a good growt. I'm pretty sure that they can be used in many ways, even more than GE (who can only attack)
Also I think that it wasn't a random thing that NWC put Griffins as emblem of the Empire.
I think you're underestimating Castle. Castle forces are multivaried and versatile, they simply do not need Griffins:

1. Griffins fly - but so do Archangels.
2. Griffins are fast - but so are Archangels and Champions.
3. Griffins deal decent damage - but then so do Marksmen, Crusaders, Zealots, Champions and Archangels.
4. Griffins are expendable - but they still can't cross the map in a turn to block shooters.
5. Griffins are decent blocker units - but then why not use Halberdiers?

All in all I think being out of the build chain hurts the Griffins' cause. Castle never really requires Griffins; they can always improvise and replace Griffins with Crusaders / Pikemen, later upgrading to Champions and Archangels. There's no time to build Griffins and no need to. So though stats-speaking they're great units for level 3, there's simply no time to build them.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 30 Nov 2007, 06:01

Banedon wrote:
Muszka wrote:It's true that there are more grunts than non grunts in the low lvl troops, and that makes the GE with bodyguards an awesome unit in the early game. And since the Griffin building is off the build-chain to PoG, you rarely use them in the begining(a fact that you've mentioned), but starting from midgame they are a base unit of the Castle, 'cos they got quite a good growt. I'm pretty sure that they can be used in many ways, even more than GE (who can only attack)
I think you're underestimating Castle. Castle forces are multivaried and versatile, they simply do not need Griffins:

1. Griffins fly - but so do Archangels.
2. Griffins are fast - but so are Archangels and Champions.
3. Griffins deal decent damage - but then so do Marksmen, Crusaders, Zealots, Champions and Archangels.
4. Griffins are expendable - but they still can't cross the map in a turn to block shooters.
5. Griffins are decent blocker units - but then why not use Halberdiers?

All in all I think being out of the build chain hurts the Griffins' cause. Castle never really requires Griffins; they can always improvise and replace Griffins with Crusaders / Pikemen, later upgrading to Champions and Archangels. There's no time to build Griffins and no need to. So though stats-speaking they're great units for level 3, there's simply no time to build them.
I hate it to come in here again, but this is simply wrong. Your points 1-4 involve "Archangels", directly or indirectly; if you have the time to build Archangels you have the time to build Griffins. 1000 Gold + 5 Ore isn't much - and they are more than worth it.
ZZZzzzz....

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 30 Nov 2007, 06:38

You're just wrong JollyJoker. You don't have time to build Royal Griffins because you're building every turn, aiming at the Portal of Glory. Of course you don't have to build the Royal Griffins and of course you don't have the time to build them. After you get the Portal of Glory you won't have any need for the Royal Griffins.

In the meantime, what do you mean by they're worth it? They're not worth it because you don't need them. What can you do with Royal Griffins you couldn't already do with your other units anyway?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 30 Nov 2007, 06:56

Banedon wrote:You're just wrong JollyJoker.
Hehe, lets that not become your daily quote - it's not the best way how to start a comment, and looks like that would apply for any comment.

I expect that your experience is going out from difficulties to Hard. However on Impossible you may usually forget on Portal of Glory in short time outlook. Instead you will need to focus your attention toward griffins (and sometimes it can be only griffins) to be able to explore fast and hunt effectively a treasuries. Griffins are backbone (or better say additional backbone) of Castle Army. You never played campaings? - You would learned it here.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 30 Nov 2007, 08:54

I like Royal Griffins. I'll take them every time over anything listed here. I'll even take them over some Level 4 creatures.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”