Is anyone interested in new user made Heroes III maps?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Do you want to play new user made Heroes III maps anymore?

Yes, I play every new map I can find!
28%
Well, only if the map is well made!
67%
No, I am not interested in this old stuff!
6%

Total votes: 18

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tobius » 20 Nov 2007, 23:53

Pol wrote: Maybe JJ will volunteer for this task ;)
(or played your map already, who knows... all's possible)

He's not the only one from Germany here, of course.

PS I also expect that we are talking about 'Der Ringkrieg' map. Ok?
Yes, you are right. It's about 'Der Ringkrieg'. I think in English it's simply 'The War of the Ring'. Well, there are some changes within the geographical order of the different factions because when I designed the map I thought it was better for playing the map if there are some changes. That's why some hardcore fans maybe could have some problems with it, but I think I made the right decision. I know it's not the best map ever made but I think it's worth playing.

However, if JJ, wohmever you mean, could translate it, I would appreciate it a lot.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 21 Nov 2007, 02:43

I voted for "If the map is well made" but I could go with "I will play every H3 map I can find" option as well. Why? Because I'm a Heroes III hardcore fan who appreciates all new fan made maps because they keep the game "alive" so to speak. What I do when new H3 maps become available at CH is:

Step 1. Pick up a new map and see if it is rated. If yes, the higher the score the bigger the chance I'll download and play the map.

Step 2. After playing the map I usually rate the map if it's a good one or otherwise exceptional one in terms of design, game mechanics, feeling etc

Step 3. I may contact the map maker if there are numerous bugs still found or I have something other worthwhile to say.

@UndeadHalfOrc

"I am only interested in multiplayer-type maps - maps where each faction has a balanced and well defined "territory" at the start of a map."

You may be interested to know that I am currently adding finishing touches to my newest creation, a H3:SoD map called "Dark Elves!". The project has been one of my most ambitious H3 maps ever with a record of 17 months in the making. Unfortunately full time job and also studying at an University have delayed the final release. But anyways, I believe that you will find the map to be more to your taste. You can always contact me for newest version of the map. (publishing deadline 30th November 2007)

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 21 Nov 2007, 04:18

Yurian, sounds good, I'll definitely check it out!

Will it have all random castles (such as "Arrogance"), or the castle types will be fixed, each with its own native terrain and mines, such as "realm of chaos"? (Either way is fine with me)

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 21 Nov 2007, 06:17

How do I pick maps to play? Generally, for SoD or WoG, I like the big gameplay, thus, I like XL maps. Large maps but with fewer than the normal 8 factions. I generally go for the singleplayer maps or Multiplayer maps where I can choose who I want to play as. I don't necessarily go for story maps. Simply because I play all kinds of international maps, meaning since I speak English, a map in Cyrillic does'nt do me much good for storyline. I have also found that maps that were'nt rated by any established website have been pretty good maps to play. One that comes to mind is a French map called Ad Hominen. Not rated anywhere but just a blast to play. One of my all time favorites. While I have played rated maps, they are good but they are not what I go by. I go by how fast I can grow and go. Each player has their preference, obviously, but these are mine. Gameplay always comes first. "Just let me kill them all."

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 21 Nov 2007, 07:14

Yurian Stonebow wrote: You may be interested to know that I am currently adding finishing touches to my newest creation, a H3:SoD map called "Dark Elves!". The project has been one of my most ambitious H3 maps ever with a record of 17 months in the making. Unfortunately full time job and also studying at an University have delayed the final release. But anyways, I believe that you will find the map to be more to your taste. You can always contact me for newest version of the map. (publishing deadline 30th November 2007)
I assume, that you'll publish it at CH. It sounds a lot of work, and thus a potential good map. I await. B-)
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 21 Nov 2007, 08:23

Okay, thanks for the message, Pol.
Must be fate or something, but my current gaming machine bought it this weekend (luckily while still under warranty), so this means I'm not able to play current games like for example ToE presently.

I've just downloaded "Der Ringkrieg - extended version" and will give it a try first. After playing the map, I'm going to see about a translation - I might do this the coming weekend.

Edit: I had a look into the map and I'm not sure, whether I'm the right person to do this. I don't particularly like The Lord of the Ring, and this seems to quote from the original text, at least in parts, and tries to be true to the spirit of the original writing and language. It would be better if a native English speaker did it, who owns LotR and knows German.
ZZZzzzz....

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 21 Nov 2007, 14:30

"Dark Elves!" will be a Heroes III:Shadow of Death map for Allied/Co-op type of game. It will feature 2x2 Human teams against each other and the 4 non-allied computer players. Because of the storyline, the computer players will have some nice "boosters" as well as access to some parts of the map the human player(s) cannot go.

Each human player starts partly on his native terrain and partly on grass terrain. The starting town types are locked ( 4 different factions) but there are two neutral, random castles nearby so the human player should be able to play the map with his own strategy and those of his playing habits.

Check out the map for more information ;)

Yurian

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tobius » 21 Nov 2007, 15:56

Jolly Joker wrote: (...) this seems to quote from the original text, at least in parts, and tries to be true to the spirit of the original writing and language. It would be better if a native English speaker did it, who owns LotR and knows German.
Hum, and do you know anyone from Celestial Heavens who matches this description? I think you're right, the map 'tries to be true to the spirit' of the original writing but I am not sure, whether a native speaker is needed for such a job because my words are based on a translation of the English original, too. I hope there'll be someone in the end.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 23 Nov 2007, 09:32

Yurian Stonebow wrote:"Dark Elves!" will be a Heroes III:Shadow of Death map for Allied/Co-op type of game. It will feature 2x2 Human teams against each other and the 4 non-allied computer players. Because of the storyline, the computer players will have some nice "boosters" as well as access to some parts of the map the human player(s) cannot go.

Each human player starts partly on his native terrain and partly on grass terrain. The starting town types are locked ( 4 different factions) but there are two neutral, random castles nearby so the human player should be able to play the map with his own strategy and those of his playing habits.

Check out the map for more information ;)

So it's not a SP map?
And what if I play WoG? Does it destroys something?

Yurian

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 24 Nov 2007, 10:29

@Muszka

"Dark Elves!" is a Multiplayer map with Co-ooperation as the special element.

Of course you can always play it with a CPU player as your ally. A word of warning though: in my test games my CPU ally has had a tendency to get his armies destroyed in daring raids into the enemy territory or quite simply, just running into the main enemy Hero who at that point usually has Lots of Gold Dragons and a Throng of Grand Elves as his best troops.

Remember that the map is designed for Human co-operation and is meant for the Shadow of Death expansion and not WoG. I haven't tested it with Wog since I don't believe in Wog and many of its revolutionary or just plain half-baked changes. WoG could indeed broke the map and the hard sought after balance or bring out some unwanted side effects.

I am planning to release the map in Celestialheavens in the coming week.
Unfortunately the planned checking, doing minor balance testing and possibly adding more story events has been delayed by hard partying and drinking and of course its companion, hang-over. This is an honest statement. But rest assured the project lives on and will be finished before the end of the month.

Sincerally,

Yurian

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 24 Nov 2007, 18:49

Yurian Stonebow wrote:"Dark Elves!" is a Multiplayer map with Co-ooperation as the special element.

Of course you can always play it with a CPU player as your ally. A word of warning though: in my test games my CPU ally has had a tendency to get his armies destroyed in daring raids into the enemy territory or quite simply, just running into the main enemy Hero who at that point usually has Lots of Gold Dragons and a Throng of Grand Elves as his best troops.

Remember that the map is designed for Human co-operation and is meant for the Shadow of Death expansion and not WoG. I haven't tested it with Wog since I don't believe in Wog and many of its revolutionary or just plain half-baked changes. WoG could indeed broke the map and the hard sought after balance or bring out some unwanted side effects.
I think I'll play with CPU, both in SoD and WoG. I'm curious of the effects of WoG makes in a map straightly designed for SoD

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 24 Nov 2007, 18:55

I'm curious of the effects of WoG makes in a map straightly designed for SoD
Depending on settings, some of them would be having highly suicidal effect.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 02 Jan 2008, 01:37

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:I am only interested in multiplayer-type maps - maps where each faction has a balanced and well defined "territory" at the start of a map.

This is the essence! For god sakes i am trying to tell them stupids how to make good multiplayer based maps, but everytime i download one, it's a bullshit crap! There are realy few realy good ballanced maps from a 1000 (10 from 1000), which don't have too much fantasy elemets and look as much realistic as it can be with no BS crap - it's how i myself do it.

And ye, for me H4 was crap and H5 is BS too, so H2/H3 all the way!

Return to “Heroes I-IV”