Is anyone interested in new user made Heroes III maps?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Do you want to play new user made Heroes III maps anymore?

Yes, I play every new map I can find!
28%
Well, only if the map is well made!
67%
No, I am not interested in this old stuff!
6%

Total votes: 18

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Is anyone interested in new user made Heroes III maps?

Unread postby Tobius » 20 Nov 2007, 18:09

Hey!

First of all: It is just my first post in this forum and I am not a native speaker. So I am sorry for my poorly English, but i hope anyone is interested in the topic and will join this discussion - if there will be one.

Now after the disliked fourth part the fifth one "Tribes of the East" has been published finally and it seems to me as nearly nobody plays the older parts anymore. Though there are very well made maps around. I do not know whether I am wrong but I think that here are not many Heroes III veterans around here who still play the good but ancient third part, or am I totally wrong?

Well, the point is that I am not sure if there is a demand for new user made Heroes III maps still today. I know that some people - me included - are still making maps today but aren't these souls just living in a dream world. Isn't it just a illusion that anyone's still hungry for new Heroes III maps?

Well, this is the question and I hope you can help me answering it.

greetings Tobius

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 20 Nov 2007, 18:19

Welcome to the Round Table!

You've come to the right place. Celestial Heavens is always accepting new Heroes 3 maps for playtesting.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Nov 2007, 18:37

I am only interested in multiplayer-type maps - maps where each faction has a balanced and well defined "territory" at the start of a map.

I have loathed RPG-styled map since the HoMM2 days.

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tobius » 20 Nov 2007, 18:40

OK, good to know that I am welcome here at this nice Round Table. Well, I already knew that Celestial Heavens is publishing Heroes 3 maps, and I am appreciating it, but that is not what I wanted to know. I was rather interested in the opinion of the players, none the less it is important that new maps are still accepted.

Well, I think that it is the H3's editor which caused the popularity of the third part and it is also the reason why H3 could survive till today. But I am worried whether the game is finally endangered to be considered as a dying breed, you understand?

Edit: @ UndeadHalfOrc
Can I ask why you don't like story based maps anymore? Do you think it's too boring to read all the words?

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 20 Nov 2007, 20:47

Welcome to the Round Table Tobius. Kristo is right. CH accepts H3 Maps openly. You see, H3 maps will never die. H3 will always be around. And there are a few reasons for this:

1. The H3 Map Editor, as you stated, is one of the most easiest to use editors out there.
2. 3DO/NWC left the "Back Door" open to this game. Meaning you can add portraits and rebalance the game to any direction you like making documents under the name traits.(This is rather intensive for the beginner, however.)
3. There are more fan based maps for H3 than any of the other Heroes series.
4. With the advent of WoG, a fan made Add On, the options are nearly limitless to what this game can do. Along with the ERM scripter you can make anything in the game do what you want it to do.
5. There are more towns to select from than any of the other Heroes games.
6. The AI, for all intense and purposes is very good. It's really not very stupid.
7. Some people, such as myself, agree that this is the best of the Heroes series, all around.

I may have left out some other points about this game, but the bottom line is that this game is still very popular despite its age.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 20 Nov 2007, 21:18

I like storybased map, but if I'm in lack of time, and want some pounching then a good mulitplayer map is unvaluable.
But I collect any map. So...
You're Welcome.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Nov 2007, 21:34

It's the concept what is making this game invaluable. Although I hope that someone will create an open source game with the same (main) concept and more possibilities once. ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 20 Nov 2007, 21:42

Why not? If you make a map, I'll give it a shot.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 20 Nov 2007, 21:48

ByteBandit wrote:CH accepts H3 Maps openly.
I wonder why it doesn't accept HoMM II (and even HoMM I) maps, though?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 20 Nov 2007, 21:49

I didn't even know people were still making Heroes 2 maps. I'd gladly play those. Heroes 2 has always been my favorite.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tobius » 20 Nov 2007, 22:01

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Why not? If you make a map, I'll give it a shot.
Well, the problem is that it is not in English, so I cannot send it to Celestial Heavens. Furthermore I am not sure if it is original enough because the basis is Lord of the Rings and I found already some maps at the mapsection which are dealing with the same theme. That's why I don't know if anyone would like to play such a map - apart from the fact that it's a H3 map.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 20 Nov 2007, 22:07

I'm a sucker for all things Middle-earth, so you have one potential player at least. :)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Nov 2007, 22:07

Germany? Here are few members from, but mostly we like english. :D

Don't worry about motive, it's execution what matters the most.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 20 Nov 2007, 22:27

Metathron wrote: I wonder why it doesn't accept HoMM II (and even HoMM I) maps, though?
Is there an etidor for H1?

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tobius » 20 Nov 2007, 22:34

Pol wrote:Germany? Here are few members from, but mostly we like english. :D

Don't worry about motive, it's execution what matters the most.
Did you google me or how did you find 'Germany'? Well, you're right. It's written in German and I thought about translating it to English, but I don't have the time and abilities to do so, I think. In general there are some very well made maps from Germany, but unfortunately nobody did translate them. Well, the 'execution' seems to be good if I believe the players who comment the map in Germany, but I don't know whether it's good enough for CH, too.
Metathron wrote:I'm a sucker for all things Middle-earth, so you have one potential player at least. :)
I don't want to talk big, because I know it's ridiculous, but you err if you think you was the first player of the map at all, because more than 3000 people played the map already in Germany. I know, it's not that much, but for a H3 map of the year 2007 it's higher-than-average, isn't it?

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Nov 2007, 22:55

Muszka wrote:
Metathron wrote: I wonder why it doesn't accept HoMM II (and even HoMM I) maps, though?
Yes, but only in the second version, the specifically named "For Windows 95" version, which also came with 16 extra maps.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 20 Nov 2007, 22:58

Muszka wrote:Is there an etidor for H1?
There is for the Windows version.
Tobius wrote:I don't want to talk big, because I know it's ridiculous, but you err if you think you was the first player of the map at all, because more than 3000 people played the map already in Germany. I know, it's not that much, but for a H3 map of the year 2007 it's higher-than-average, isn't it?
Your response shows that you misunderstood my post. I was telling you that if your map is about Middle-earth, you will have at least one person from these boards play it a.k.a. "I'd be happy to."

Tobius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tobius » 20 Nov 2007, 23:05

Metathron wrote: Your response shows that you misunderstood my post. I was telling you that if your map is about Middle-earth, you will have at least one person from these boards play it a.k.a. "I'd be happy to."
OK, my fault. Well, if I can find someone who is able to translate it, I will send it to Celestial Heavens thus you can play it in English. Otherwise there was only the German original to play.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Nov 2007, 23:24

Your IP told me that. :D

Don't forget that on every site you have written warnings: Beware your IP was logged and such rubbish... also if you use google, you know that it comes to you in your native language. That's because it knows from where your ip is.

Lastly you have written it in your location as I spotted just awhile.

Maybe JJ will volunteer for this task ;)
(or played your map already, who knows... all's possible)

He's not the only one from Germany here, of course.

PS I also expect that we are talking about 'Der Ringkrieg' map. Ok?
"We made it!"

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 20 Nov 2007, 23:38

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
Muszka wrote:
Yes, but only in the second version, the specifically named "For Windows 95" version, which also came with 16 extra maps.
That's no problem at all, since Windows XB can run it with the compatibility mode.
Do you know where can I get this. Or if this one is included in that special edition of Heroes complete?

Return to “Heroes I-IV”