Heroes IV...I've always wondered...

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Liquid-Silence
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes IV...I've always wondered...

Unread postby Liquid-Silence » 09 Nov 2007, 19:29

what this game is like? I've heard nothing but bad reviews about it, so I've never given it a shot. Can any of you recommend this to me? Or does it really suck as bad as I hear? The only "Heroes" games I've played is 3 & 5, and I'm VERY partial to 3('tis the best so far imho).
"The closer I get, the further away I am."

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Re: Heroes IV...I've always wondered...

Unread postby Suleman » 09 Nov 2007, 20:00

Liquid-Silence wrote:what this game is like? I've heard nothing but bad reviews about it, so I've never given it a shot. Can any of you recommend this to me? Or does it really suck as bad as I hear? The only "Heroes" games I've played is 3 & 5, and I'm VERY partial to 3('tis the best so far imho).
It's good. It's every bit as colorful as the previous parts. The heroes are playable in combat and items are more common. Towns have 8 units each, but out of the 4 creature levels, require you to choose between 2 different units.
That means that the Life town gets 2 lvl 1 units (Squire and Crossbowman), but the player has to choose between two creatures on level 2 (Pikeman or Ballista), level 3 (Crusader and Monk) and level 4 (Champion and Angel).

You should download the Equilibrium patch, which fixes many problems. Also, download the latest patches. The game was released a bit unfinished.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 09 Nov 2007, 20:42

Be assured that there are many positive reviews about it as well, and there are many members on these boards who really like or even love the game. The game has an average rating of 82% at Gamerankings, based on 28 reviews from various sites.

In general, quite a lot of people who adored HoMM III have been disenchanted with HoMM IV, but there are those who love both, and those who prefer IV by leaps and bounds. *points to self*

To put it in a nutshell, HoMM IV is a different HoMM experience, and if you give it enough of a chance, I'm sure you will be able to enjoy it.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Liquid-Silence
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Liquid-Silence » 09 Nov 2007, 20:51

Are the two expansions worth getting? I'm seriously debating whether I should buy this or not(leaning towards "yes"), and if I do, I'd rather have the complete game ya know?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 09 Nov 2007, 20:57

Both expansions have very little content, mostly campaigns and a few creatures. Don't expect anything like Armageddon's Blade or Tribes of the East.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 09 Nov 2007, 21:52

If you find a good bargain, definitely get them to complete the game. I'm sure you could find a terrific deal somewhere on the web.

This one looks pretty good:
Heroes-Might-Magic-IV-Complete

(url shortened --Pol)
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 Nov 2007, 22:20

I have just recently started playing H4 and it's okay. I found out that all the files made by fans are actually the contributing factor as to why I play it. You should download Equilibris. It balances the game well. Also, get Slavas' H4 Utility. This will allow you to generate random maps for the game.
The game has it's positives, but if 3DO had just concentrated on it a bit more than they did, it could've been the best of the HoMM series, IMHO. All the patches needed for the original release of HoMM4 were ridiculous for a released game. If you have the original release of H4, I strongly recommend you download all the patches. Or else, the game won't play like you expect it to.
The game is enjoyable, but nothing to write home about.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 09 Nov 2007, 22:30

Rather than give you my opion in brief here, I think I'll simply point you to thisthread. Basically, I playerd H5 before H4, and this is my view of the game. I think you will see most of the pros and cons from the community within my comments nad others' replies.

Liquid-Silence
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Liquid-Silence » 09 Nov 2007, 23:34

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. ;)

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 10 Nov 2007, 17:28

If I'm wrong here somebody correct me...

If you are going to get it, you should get the complete version so you have access to all the fan content.

There must be some maps that require the expansions right?

BrennusWhiskey
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby BrennusWhiskey » 15 Nov 2007, 21:43

In my oppinion homm4 is the best for online games because beating AI is completely easy on this game. Of course only way is getting equilibris. Most of the maps for multiplayer have both version basic and wow. I suggest game with all expansions:)

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 16 Nov 2007, 00:15

It is said "it's not ugly, just weird". I think this fits best the HoMM IV. And how Metathron wrote, if you give it enough time, you will like it.
Of course there are ppl who don't like HoMM IV, and whom expectations were fooled.
But it remainds me a quote: "Nothing is easier to denounce the guilty man, nothing is harder to understand him."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Nov 2007, 01:29

the complete version is a must simply because it comes fully patched... trust me, you want it fully patched.

Also, i doubt the price will be higher then for the non exp game.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 16 Nov 2007, 01:58

I got H4 Complete for about $10 off of Amazon a couple of months ago. I never got the expansions before, and I think it was a real bargain.

I never liked it as much as 2 and 3 but I've spent countless hours on it just the same. It takes some getting used to, and has some major positives and negatives. Still a great game though.

But I'd recommend it if money's not an issue.

Taodor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Taodor » 22 Dec 2007, 13:24

Ugh, didn't know that patches and eql. mod exist at all....Does anyone know do i need patches if i instal all exp. and eqvilibrium mod? and if i need, do i need all of them (1.1,2.0, 3.0....)?
Now i know why i get bored playing with AI, but multiplay rocks, though in multiplay you also must interact with Ai when fighting creatures....i must try eql. mod, i hope they enchance it. For multiplay it would be best that when one player fighting map creatures, other control them, if there's more players they would swich every fight...
H4 rules above ALL

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 22 Dec 2007, 14:59

Heroes IV is what an expansion should be, a perfection of the previous game.

Heroes IV is Heroes III with more freedom.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Taodor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Taodor » 22 Dec 2007, 16:47

Taodor wrote:Ugh, didn't know that patches and eql. mod exist at all....Does anyone know do i need patches if i instal all exp. and eqvilibrium mod? and if i need, do i need all of them (1.1,2.0, 3.0....)?
Now i know why i get bored playing with AI, but multiplay rocks, though in multiplay you also must interact with Ai when fighting creatures....i must try eql. mod, i hope they enchance it. For multiplay it would be best that when one player fighting map creatures, other control them, if there's more players they would swich every fight...
Yes i agree, but can anyone answer my question?
to make myself clear: does it make any deference/improvment if i instal patches on wow or eql. mod?
H4 rules above ALL

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 22 Dec 2007, 16:58

Slayer of Cliffracers wrote:Heroes IV is what an expansion should be, a perfection of the previous game.

Heroes IV is Heroes III with more freedom.
So long as you overlook atrocious adventure map AI. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 22 Dec 2007, 19:36

So long as you overlook atrocious adventure map AI. smile
Heroes III adventure map AI was also pretty bad. Indeed there were plenty of missions that one couldn't actually complete without exploiting the adventure map AI.

Heroes III was fiendishly hard. Precisely beacause all the enemies started off with a massive advantage over you.

Heroes IV is pretty easy by comparison.

Equilibrium sorts out the adventure map AI, but not completely, but then we are talking about computers here.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 22 Dec 2007, 20:47

Exploiting adventure map ai?

Return to “Heroes I-IV”