Most important factor in games

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which factor is most important to winning a multiplayer game?

Speed
45%
Battle awareness
27%
AI awareness
6%
Map awareness
18%
Creature choice
3%

Total votes: 33

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 07 Nov 2007, 18:16

Jolly Joker wrote:In this situation everything depends on training and experience
Yes. For the most part: training and experience in the factors identified in this poll. Other factors like knowing the skill wheel by heart, or knowing creature stats are not big enough to have a position of their own.

You could put up 'the ability to play fast without making errors' as a seperate item; which would be an expanded version of 'speed'. But a line has to be drawn somewhere and here it is drawn at a different level.

@Banedon: nice post(s)
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 07 Nov 2007, 21:47

I have to agree with JJ. These options don't make much sense, especially speed since it is practically sum of different parts.

More practical term would be Logistics, which would include hero chains, taking advantage of movement modifiers and careful planning of routes. And it doesn't include being good at combat at all. For all purposes, the player could be master of logistics but he still could appear slower than other player if his battle skills are slow and can't get past crucial stacks.

The way you've put this polls options it leaves only two sensible choices and frankly speed is too large element here that consists of too much compared to others (Creature choices? Come on.) and even overlaps.
Last edited by Anonymous on 07 Nov 2007, 22:01, edited 3 times in total.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 07 Nov 2007, 21:54

Do people play with timed turns? That's new to me.

In all my heroes v online matches, I haven't used timed turns.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 08 Nov 2007, 05:50

PhoenixReborn wrote:Do people play with timed turns? That's new to me.
I don't: If I wanted to play an action game, I would start up Unreal Tournament or Warcraft III.

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 02 Feb 2009, 10:02

pepak wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:But how much faster?! Remember that you can only build once a day... that puts a cap on how many extra resources you'll need.
Well, let me cite an example. I was playing Heart of Winter against another player. That player was progressing in the normal fashion, building his towns, buying creatures and so on. I played for high (not top - that is too dangerous in multiplayer) speed. My speed advantage manifested when I entered his territory in the third week of the game, with five GM Combat barbarians.
This brings Map/AI Awareness into my mind. On that very same map the players are separated with black dragons and a hero who cuts through magic resist and powerful spells. I figured out how to break it day 8 (it should be impossible) and I did so. Automatic GG :-)

(then I messaged the author of the map to change it and he did)

BTW I killed the guardians wuith two level 9 barbarians and 18 centaur or so. The centaurs attacked the separating stack one-by-one draining the mana of the chaos caster (he cast lightning on them all the time). Once it was down to zero, I rushed in with my barbs. :-)

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 04 Feb 2009, 20:06

Voted Speed.

Always nice, always handy. The ability to rush your enemies is one of the defining factors in free for all.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 08 Feb 2009, 10:55

Other than speed, I would have to say knowing what your opponent has and what you have are the next important part. Other than that, everything else is just secondary. :D

Return to “Heroes I-IV”