Losing heroes of Might and magic savegames

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

Losing your Heroes of Might and Magic savegames is...

Crap, but good for replaying it all...
70%
Cool, i hated it anyway (??? i dunno why)!
10%
Sh*t, no reason to play it ever again, WoW here i come!!!
20%
Good, i could not get rid of them myself, thanks mister virus!!
No votes

Total votes: 10

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Losing heroes of Might and magic savegames

Postby darknessfood » Oct 23 2007, 16:41

Due to a stupid virus a had to completely re-install my computer and therefor losing all of my "hard worked for" savegames from Heroes of Might and Magic 1, 2 (and POL) , 3 (AB and SOD) and 4 (complete)

The polls question is how bad it sucks.

And to talk about this bad experience ofcourse...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » Oct 23 2007, 18:28

Where's the Stupid (i don't have a backup drive/disk etc.) option? :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Pol
Admin
Admin

Postby Pol » Oct 23 2007, 19:30

Bad, but impossible for me. As long as I have backup cd. Unfortunatelly I haven't everything important backuped.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby darknessfood » Oct 24 2007, 0:37

ThunderTitan wrote:Where's the Stupid (i don't have a backup drive/disk etc.) option? :devil:

Yeah, didn't thought of that one :(.
Now i made my hd into 2 partitions, important games are kept on the other one :P

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Postby pepak » Oct 24 2007, 9:50

That won't help you when (notice: "when", not "if") your harddisk dies.

Let's say I don't feel all that comfortable even with RAID5 and two backups (external harddisk and a DVD). I aim for three external harddisks (one at home, one in a bank's security box, one in a different town).

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby darknessfood » Oct 24 2007, 12:04

pepak wrote:That won't help you when (notice: "when", not "if") your harddisk dies.

Let's say I don't feel all that comfortable even with RAID5 and two backups (external harddisk and a DVD). I aim for three external harddisks (one at home, one in a bank's security box, one in a different town).

Dude, that's sick :S

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » Oct 24 2007, 12:15

pepak wrote:That won't help you when (notice: "when", not "if") your harddisk dies.

If your HDD dies before you change your PC you must have bought a crappy HDD... and disk covers floppy, compact, digital versatile... (interesting, wiki says that they use "disc" for CD's and DVD's, how silly)

"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Postby ByteBandit » Oct 25 2007, 0:02

Yeah, I backup anything real important for any Heroes game on CD's or DVD's. I never distribute them, they are for my own personal use only.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby darknessfood » Oct 25 2007, 12:33

ByteBandit wrote:Yeah, I backup anything real important for any Heroes game on CD's or DVD's. I never distribute them, they are for my own personal use only.

Well, i started a map years ago for savegames. Too bad i never updated that one, so now i miss olmost everything important :(, it sucks!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Postby ThunderTitan » Oct 25 2007, 15:59

Of course next time someone's one drive PC gets infected they might want to invest in a bootable-from-CD OS... that way even if you can't access your primary OS you can still copy the files you want on floppy or whatever.

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Postby Kildars » Oct 27 2007, 14:43

It really sucks to lose any Heroes saves because even 1 map takes normally 2 to 3 hours, not to mention those extra big maps......

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby darknessfood » Oct 27 2007, 19:28

Kildars wrote:It really sucks to lose any Heroes saves because even 1 map takes normally 2 to 3 hours, not to mention those extra big maps......

Indeed, really crap :(

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Postby MistWeaver » Oct 27 2007, 23:30

Im sorry, but why didnt you copy your savegames somewhere before "re-installing" your my computer ?

Kildars
Peasant
Peasant

Postby Kildars » Oct 28 2007, 0:10

I suppose he got some really serious virus infection that makes you even unable to login to the windows.
I myself had a similar experience while playing H5...if it weren't that serious I believe no one would to so stupid as to forget that he could backup the save data before formatting...no?

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Postby MistWeaver » Oct 28 2007, 1:07

Kildars wrote:I suppose he got some really serious virus infection that makes you even unable to login to the windows.
I myself had a similar experience while playing H5...if it weren't that serious I believe no one would to so stupid as to forget that he could backup the save data before formatting...no?

He could start up with some live/boot cd in that case.

Yurian Stonebow
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Yurian Stonebow » Oct 28 2007, 9:31

Well you know, it's a crappy thing to happen but the good side of it is that you can concentrate on replaying the mission(s) and hopefully better this time. I mean that to myself, at least, it is a major victory to beat my previous records.

Good luck with starting over again.

Maybe you can then return to WoW. ("Winds of War") :D

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby darknessfood » Oct 29 2007, 9:38

Hahaha, we all know i meant World of Warcraft :P

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Postby CoffeeGnome » Oct 30 2007, 23:42

I admit I have not played heroes of MM since #2 but i used to suffer from a glitch in which I lost saved games from HoMM2 all of the time. After a while I got frustrated and started playing starcraft. Have there been many reoccourances of these problems with any of the HoMM3, HoMM4, or HoMM5, so I know what ones to avoid?

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby darknessfood » Oct 31 2007, 14:49

CoffeeGnome wrote:I admit I have not played heroes of MM since #2 but i used to suffer from a glitch in which I lost saved games from HoMM2 all of the time. After a while I got frustrated and started playing starcraft. Have there been many reoccourances of these problems with any of the HoMM3, HoMM4, or HoMM5, so I know what ones to avoid?

Well, i never had that :S. But it's really weird and anoying!

Return to “Heroes I-IV”