HoMM II: Best level 1 creature

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

In my experience, the best level 1 creature is

Peasant
10%
Goblin
No votes
Sprite
10%
Centaur
3%
Halfling
37%
Skeleton
40%

Total votes: 30

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

HoMM II: Best level 1 creature

Unread postby Metathron » 05 Oct 2007, 18:49

Which is the best in your opinion?

You don't have to choose a particular creature only because it is generally accepted as the best (*cough*skeleton*cough*), you can go by which has proven most useful to you, for example.

Though I dare you to defend the peasant. :D
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 05 Oct 2007, 19:13

Voted halflings. In equal numbers, halflings can beat skeletons, and could beat centaurs and sprites if they attacked first. With Bless cast on them, they can outdamage most level 2 units.

BTW, peasants are actually halfway decent in my H2 mod now.

All I did was:
- lower their cost to 15 gold (from 20)
- raise their speed to 3 (from 2)
- raise their base growth to 24 (total with farm and well = 34)

So for a few pennies, you get a cheap, fragile but pretty darn damaging early game stack.
Last edited by UndeadHalfOrc on 05 Oct 2007, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 05 Oct 2007, 19:16

In equal numbers, i agree halflings are probably the right call. However, skeletons are much easier to amass in large numbers so in that respect, skeletons are overall the more useful unit.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 05 Oct 2007, 22:24

If peasants can attack first, then yes, they can be pretty scary. But I'm excluding mods for my judgement, and unmodded peasants usually give me enough time to run away or hit them hard before they can strike. (It definitely hurts if I focus too much on other creatures, however. That often provides a good reason for loading Autosave.)

Skeletons, without a doubt. They either have the best or tie for the best in all the attributes except cost and shots (unless you count Rogues, which have a higher attack) with the exception of HP. With the necromancers inherent Haste, they are definitely better than Sprites, which, despite packing a punch, are far too fragile. Halflings can provide a match when it's just the two of them, but Skeletons would be far more likely to appear fighting against high-level creatures, especially considering the AI will target shooters such as halflings first thing.

But of course, the big decider in favor of Skeletons is Necromancy. Animate Dead also plays a big role, if you can get it.
Last edited by Darmani on 06 Oct 2007, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 06 Oct 2007, 01:45

Darmani wrote:
Skeletons, without a doubt. They either have the best or tie for the best in all the attributes except cost and shots
Well, centaurs have 5 HP, Skeletons 4.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 06 Oct 2007, 01:50

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
Darmani wrote:
Skeletons, without a doubt. They either have the best or tie for the best in all the attributes except cost and shots
Well, centaurs have 5 HP, Skeletons 4.
Yikes! I can't believe that slipped my mind when I wrote that sentence.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 06 Oct 2007, 03:38

I have to go with Skeletons because they give me the most headaches when fighting against them. It's pretty easy to nullify the rest if you're prepared, but for some reason Skeletons are always a thorn in my side.

Speaking of unmodded Peasants, I've found them to be quite useful as part of the Five Peasant Garrison. Five stacks of one Peasant, a Moat, and two Turrets against the AI. I've beaten lots of low-level armies this way, mostly Barbarian of course, but it's still funny every time. I can't think of a better use of 100 gold to bail yourself out when you get caught napping.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 06 Oct 2007, 07:18

I vote for Peasants because they pretty darn beat everything unless they go to sleep (which they often do).
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 06 Oct 2007, 10:05

Wow, those halflings sure did get a lot of votes. I, too, prefer them over the centaurs, but looking at their stats, I wonder why this should be. If they had giant slayer, then that would give them a definite edge, but I'm not sure the HoMM II halflings have that.

Halflings have 3 HP, damage 1-3, A2, D1, 12 shots, slow, cost 50.
Centaurs have 5 HP, dmg 1-2, A3. D1, 8 shots, average, 60.

So, looking at these stats, none of these two has a significant advantage over the other. I guess what would make me pick the halflings over the centaurs is the fact that centaurs, being the only shooter available to the warlock, are the enemy's primary target, and are therefore not nearly as durable.

Skeletons are the best ones in the long run.

Anyone besides me likes goblins? Sure the green fellas die fast, but they pack quite a punch, especially under the auspices of their barbarian leader! And sure, skeletons have better stats, but the goblins are almost twice cheaper, so we should definitely take the units' cost-effectiveness into account.

But I'm gonna go with the sprites on this one. They are the only ones that fly, have a good attack value of 4, and will be crucial in protecting your rather feeble (HP-wise) shooters from enemy shooters, especially slow/very slow ones like orcs and archers, but also average ones, if played right, or even faster ones if you have haste in your spell book.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 06 Oct 2007, 11:26

Well, skeletons are the best, in my opinion. With a good player, their cost is roughly zero, since you get them with necromancy.
However, I'd like to point out that Peasants can be even better if you find an enormous stack of them with your necromancer. 1000 more skeletons for the win.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 06 Oct 2007, 13:31

Metathron wrote:Anyone besides me likes goblins? Sure the green fellas die fast, but they pack quite a punch, especially under the auspices of their barbarian leader! And sure, skeletons have better stats, but the goblins are almost twice cheaper, so we should definitely take the units' cost-effectiveness into account.
I do. Of all level 1s other than Skeletons, they are the most similar to Skeletons. They're not as strong, and definitely not as durable, but they still pack a punch.

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 06 Oct 2007, 17:38

Halflings get the vote for me. Skeletons are a conditional #1 pick, provided you have necromancy + large stacks of peasants to slaughter.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 07 Oct 2007, 00:20

the sprite for me, flying makes him great, no retal (I think) is ace, just a great level 1
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 07 Oct 2007, 00:48

asandir wrote:the sprite for me, flying makes him great
:| :| :|

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 07 Oct 2007, 09:39

asandir wrote:the sprite for me, flying makes him great, no retal (I think) is ace, just a great level 1
Mamma mia! I completely forgot-a about the no retal. That coupled with flying equals the best level 1 unit. :-D

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 08 Oct 2007, 04:15

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
asandir wrote:the sprite for me, flying makes him great
:| :| :|
bah! :)
Mamma mia! I completely forgot-a about the no retal. That coupled with flying equals the best level 1 unit.
and the average speed isn't too bad :)

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 08 Oct 2007, 04:23

Is anyone thinking about hero stats in the equation? I guess there was some mention of barbarians making goblins strong.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 08 Oct 2007, 04:24

if they are, then they shouldn't, cause I can put a barb in charge of my sprites .... should be considered the unit themselves!

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 08 Oct 2007, 14:23

asandir, you still don't get it do you?

I was pointing out that you referred to a FEMALE unit as "him"

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 08 Oct 2007, 21:06

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:asandir, you still don't get it do you?

I was pointing out that you referred to a FEMALE unit as "him"
All Sprites are female?

Where do all the new Sprites come from?
Irish proverb wrote:It takes a cricket to recognize a cricket
Who are you to say that that's what female sprites look like? Heck, for all I know that's what hermaphrodite sprites look like when they turn 5000 years old.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”