Luck system

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Luck should add...

extra damage
77%
defense
23%

Total votes: 26

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Luck system

Unread postby Akul » 08 Sep 2007, 20:13

Do you like more when luck increases the attack of the units in battle (H1-3&5) or when it decreases the damage dealt to the unit (H4)?

I like H4 version more because you are feeling luckiest when you survive, not when you kill one more. But, IMO, it should affect both.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 08 Sep 2007, 21:21

I prefer the double damage version. It has a much more noticeable effect, and also it's a lot scarier when done to you.

Also, I think the differing way of displaying luck between H2 and H4 has a huge subconscious effect.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Sep 2007, 21:22

But as you mentioned good luck should affect both. That why you are being lucky. Also h4 system is more close to real. Thanks to God that you aren't asking for Morale :D
(~I can vividly imagine these hot discussion)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Elwin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Elwin » 09 Sep 2007, 00:26

i'm sort of ambivalent on this one.
In the diameter of the Universe, we are but a single flame. To say that we're insignificant is to give us....too little credit. But if the universe chooses you to be part of its plans, then you better let go because it makes it more fun when you don't know what's about to happen next!

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 09 Sep 2007, 06:57

Extra damage from luck is vital to units with low offense, like those of the Fortress, so I'll vote for that.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 09 Sep 2007, 07:12

The leadership bonus already is a form of doing extra damage, so a defense bonus for luck increases variation imo
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 09 Sep 2007, 10:12

Damage of course, lucky defense is just another way to make a game longer. Still I'd not be averse if there was a luck ability that gave this to a few specific factions.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Sep 2007, 12:51

Defense.. makes the game less random. Then again it might just think that way because 2x damage is way too much. And Morale should only give 20-30% extra initiative with the new system or a boost to speed/movement in the old one.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Re: Luck system

Unread postby Alamar » 09 Sep 2007, 15:51

Akul wrote:Do you like more when luck increases the attack of the units in battle (H1-3&5) or when it decreases the damage dealt to the unit (H4)?

I like H4 version more because you are feeling luckiest when you survive, not when you kill one more. But, IMO, it should affect both.
I lean towards doing more damage [if I have to choose one or the other].

However I 100% think that luck should be split between both attack & defense as you suggested. Basically the +100% damage isn't "fair" to the side that it's being inflicted on. Lowering the +% damage helps PLUS you get a chance of resisting a lucky attack with a lucky defense. Overall this is a much more fair AND interesting implementation because it doesn't act like just another version of Offense, Defense, Leadership, etc.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 10 Sep 2007, 16:18

Shouldn't Luck be present in all aspects of the game? Maybe even finding more and better treasure.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Sep 2007, 16:21

HodgePodge wrote:Shouldn't Luck be present in all aspects of the game? Maybe even finding more and better treasure.
It is, in H5, if you get the appropriate accompanying abilities.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 10 Sep 2007, 16:41

I'm not sure I'm ready to accept the idea of luck affecting both offense and defense! ;| I'll have to mull it over more carefully but on casual conideration it seems fair and doable.

I am currently in the camp with King Alamar where I think they should reduce the amount of damage done to 50% extra instead of 100% extra.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Sep 2007, 17:33

Corribus wrote: It is, in H5, if you get the appropriate accompanying abilities.
Never did get that one... how is it that you being lucky makes extra moneys appear out of nowhere?!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Sep 2007, 17:36

It's perfectly rational, if you believe in supernatural explanations for empirical phenomena. :devious:
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Sep 2007, 18:04

ThunderTitan wrote: Never did get that one... how is it that you being lucky makes extra moneys appear out of nowhere?!
What I don't get is that if I find an "ordinary" chest worth 1500 gold, I can trade it for 1000 XP, but if I find a chest that's normally worth 1000 gold and my skill boostts it to 1500, I still only get a lousy 500 XP...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Sep 2007, 19:33

ThunderTitan wrote:Never did get that one... how is it that you being lucky makes extra moneys appear out of nowhere?!
That's completely wrong, money never appears out of nowehere.

They are send to you by unknown entities. :-D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Sep 2007, 22:41

Gaidal Cain wrote: What I don't get is that if I find an "ordinary" chest worth 1500 gold, I can trade it for 1000 XP, but if I find a chest that's normally worth 1000 gold and my skill boostts it to 1500, I still only get a lousy 500 XP...
Hmm.... might be just some "creative" accounting, so you don't really have that extra 500 gold?! And the Luck comes in when you don't get caught...

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 11 Sep 2007, 03:47

I prefer the extra damage version, mainly because I'm used to it more than anything else
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”