Back to H IV

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 28 Sep 2007, 11:25

ByteBandit wrote:I think downloading the patch would be impossible for me through dial up. Is'nt it rather huge? And I'm not even sure which patch version I would need. Some help would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps you wrote that with the gargantuan HoMM V patches in mind. The HoMM IV are not all that large, so they shoud be reasonably accessible even to a dial-up user:

1.0 to 1.3 = 16.3 mb
1.3 to 2.0 = 8.5 mb
2.0 to 2.2 = 2.2 mb
2.2 to 3.0 = 6.4 mb

To get the patches and learn which version you have go to this page. Run "regedit" from Start--Run to access the Registry.

P.S.: If you bought the game recently, it seems likely that you got the Ubisoft edition (has their logo on the box), so you'll need the Ubisoft patches.
I'm not at all impressed with auto combat.
That's a gross understatement. The HoMM IV auto combat stinks.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 28 Sep 2007, 22:45

Thanks for the information. I think I will need them as the orange player, AI, froze just as I had 3/4 of the XL map beat. I'll get them for sure. Thanks again.

btw, it's the 3DO version.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Sep 2007, 23:15

Once you have the version and download the patches - cross your fingers, I still couldn't install the patches, no matter how many different things I tried
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

RobB
Scout
Scout

Unread postby RobB » 30 Sep 2007, 00:03

I didn't like H4 when I first got it mainly because it played so slowly. Whether it's because of patches or simply because I have upgraded my computers several times since then, I don't know, but that's not a problem now.

I loved H3, but when I go back to it now, I miss H4 spell system. Things I still dislike about H4 are:
- having the market place always available makes it too easy to upgrade
- some of the heroes' pictures are less attractive, which makes me want to play Nature or Order most of the time, even though I want to use other magic systems
- I sort of miss the arrow towers, but on the other hand, a castle is much more defensible in H4, although you don't get the increased production

Sadly, it seems I must upgrade to a new computer yet again to be able to play H5, so I can't compare that.
RobB

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 02 Oct 2007, 00:37

Well, I have the original 3DO copy of H4 with no patches and I seem to wait forever to play the game. The game freezes all the time now so, I just gave up on it completely and have gone back to playing WoG.

Yeah, the only good thing I liked about H4 was the magic system. Everything else was not up to par. Sadly, I could see where 3DO could've made this such a great game, but failed to do so. And WoG has so many H4 properties to it that I could see, and more selection of everything. Towns, creatures, etc. SO I'll stick with what works.

And one more thing I observed. Despite all that many could find wrong with WoG, including this author, there are way more flaws in H4. WoG runs smoother than H4 by a long shot. And I am being objective.

But H4 was fun to a point.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 02 Oct 2007, 02:57

if you can get it to a place that it's playable, without the crashes and slowdowns, the whole thing is a lot more enjoyable obviously, and it makes the things that seemed so bad (cause you're already irritated) seem so much worse

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2007, 10:16

So it's more enjoyable by being worse?!

@ByteBandit

What, you're too good to d/l patches? Oh, and i found it really helps to mute the music (volume at 0) when you're playing, it stopped most crashes for me.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Oct 2007, 10:31

Well, patches mostly work well. For me, i bougth the whole set on 1 dvd so it was already patched (ubi edition). Just go look if you can find it ;)

@ TT: Doesn't it suck to play without music :S?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2007, 10:47

That's why i have Winamp for... Agitatis Ultramarini, Dominitis Ultramarini.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Oct 2007, 10:58

ThunderTitan wrote:That's why i have Winamp for... Agitatis Ultramarini, Dominitis Ultramarini.
Hahaha, nice also :)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 03 Oct 2007, 03:00

that's convoluted TT, actually it's better when it works properly .... :)

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 04 Oct 2007, 02:24

No. I guess I'm not too good to d/l the patches. I have them and I installed them corectly and and still shows the virtual memory leak and slowdown. I'll just wait for the H4 complete instead. Maybe.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Oct 2007, 13:34

asandir wrote:that's convoluted TT, t's better when it works properly
what u takin bout stefan?! I do that with plenty of games that work properly.

BB wrote:I have them and I installed them correctly and and still shows the virtual memory leak and slowdown.
What patches did you use? as i recall the last one should be about the same as H4 complete...

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 05 Oct 2007, 01:06

hmmmm, maybe I just got lucky :)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”