Back to H IV

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 07 Sep 2007, 05:06

cool, though I still wonder whether the leprechauns and their fortune spell offset maybe 6 times their number in imps that can often cross the battlefield in one go, take immediate retals and act as a target for attacks

but maybe that's just me
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Sep 2007, 16:07

asandir wrote:I've never checked to see if the summoned devils can still cast summon ice demon, but I'd imagine so, will check when I get a chance ....

to be honest (noobness showing) I haven't really used fortune, but will check it out
asandir wrote:cool, though I still wonder whether the leprechauns and their fortune spell offset maybe 6 times their number in imps that can often cross the battlefield in one go, take immediate retals and act as a target for attacks

but maybe that's just me
Summoned Devils can indeed summon Ice Demons. Summoning Imps instead of Leprechauns means you'd need both Nature & Death Magic at Advanced Level. You need Demonology to summon Death creatures; and you have to be at Advanced Level before getting Basic Demonology.

Another thing to consider is that it cost twice as much mana to summon Death creatures as it does to summon Nature creatures.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 07 Sep 2007, 23:18

indeed you do, but once you get the choice to summon either I would go with the imps, mana is never really a concern I've found - too many mana recovery objects on the adventure map

pacobac
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pacobac » 09 Sep 2007, 09:02

yes sumon, sumon !!!

the beter back tu H IV is here:

http://www.archangelcastle.com/h4/ligue ... angers.php B-)

try my new multiplayer map:

http://www.archangelcastle.com/h4/ligue ... COLAND.rar

next soon in english......

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 09 Sep 2007, 10:27

cool, though I still wonder whether the leprechauns and their fortune spell offset maybe 6 times their number in imps that can often cross the battlefield in one go, take immediate retals and act as a target for attacks

but maybe that's just me
It's probably because you aren't playing at the higher difficulty settings (not necessarily a bad thing by the way), when you can kill your opponents with the summoned stacks alone. If you attempt My Brother's Keeper on Advanced difficulty for example, you'll see how strong Fortune can be - then you'll have to conjure up ever-more ingenious ways to win battles, and Summon Leprechauns overtakes Summon Imps as the summon spell to cast (unless you're fighting Nightmares or Angels or similar who can't cast their spells if their mana gets stolen).
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 11 Sep 2007, 03:50

maybe that's what it is .... one of these days I'll try that :)

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

fortune

Unread postby csarmi » 12 Sep 2007, 17:36

It's actually 3/2 or 2/3 (that is, you take 1.5 times more or 1.5 times less damage). And +7 luck gives you 70% chance to get lucky, for example (i dont remember if fortune gives +10 luck or sets your luck to +10, however).

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 13 Sep 2007, 02:53

Thanks Csarmi .... to me it seems a little unwieldy, but that's probably just cause I'm used to the other way

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 17 Sep 2007, 01:13

I've finished Half-Dead now, and really quite liked it, moving onto the Order campaign, with Emilia .... never got past the first map of this campaign before, so it should be interesting

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 17 Sep 2007, 02:18

asandir wrote:I've finished Half-Dead now, and really quite liked it, moving onto the Order campaign, with Emilia .... never got past the first map of this campaign before, so it should be interesting
You should find the Order Campaign with Emilia Nighthaven & Solmyr quite interesting, especially if you haven't played it through before. It is the longest of the Heroes IV original campaigns and it's a lot of fun. Be sure not to let Reed become too strong (in one of the later maps) because if he defeats Gavin Magnus (or if a wandering stack does) in the last map, you can't win the campaign.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 17 Sep 2007, 02:56

HodgePodge wrote:
asandir wrote:I've finished Half-Dead now, and really quite liked it, moving onto the Order campaign, with Emilia .... never got past the first map of this campaign before, so it should be interesting
You should find the Order Campaign with Emilia Nighthaven & Solmyr quite interesting, especially if you haven't played it through before. It is the longest of the Heroes IV original campaigns and it's a lot of fun. Be sure not to let Reed become too strong (in one of the later maps) because if he defeats Gavin Magnus (or if a wandering stack does) in the last map, you can't win the campaign.
thanks for the tip HP .... I hate bugs :) or just random things that stop a campaign ending properly

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 27 Sep 2007, 03:48

Okay. I just got my hands on Heroes 4 recently. I have been playing it now for a couple of days. There are some things I like and dislike, of course. (I only have the original, and not the expansions.) I like the caravan thing, it's a good deal. The potions are a little overdone I think, along with all the scrolls too. It's weird not having the ability to upgrade units. I also like the way the magic system is set up as compared to Heroes 3. But it seems like it takes forever to attain getting any of the level 5 spells. The auto combat is not up to par. I also thing the game lags pretty bad. And my laptop meets the specs. I like the look of the game. The terrain and all. Creatures look kinda cartoonish though. All in all it's alright I guess. Middle of the road. Definitely not the besst Heroes game of the series. And I have been playing Heoess since '96.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Sep 2007, 07:19

I think you have to give HIV some time to grow on you, I wasn't that keen the first time I played (for a few weeks maybe) but coming back to it (especially after V) I enjoyed it significantly more

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Sep 2007, 08:32

. I also thing the game lags pretty bad. And my laptop meets the specs.
Did you install the patches?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Sep 2007, 08:45

I didn't and the game runs great, even after about 3-4 hours of playing .... which is definately not what used to happen on my old machine

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 27 Sep 2007, 10:44

I don't think I would even touch H4 anymore without patches (and Equilibris mod). If I were you, I'd get the patches ASAP.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Sep 2007, 15:06

asandir wrote:I didn't and the game runs great, even after about 3-4 hours of playing .... which is definately not what used to happen on my old machine
Hmm, that's strange, because I distinctly remember the non-patched game seriously lagging. Do you have the Ubi "version" of the game? Maybe it's different in that case. Or do you have both expansions installed? Because in that case I think the game is automatically patched.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 27 Sep 2007, 22:05

asandir wrote:I think you have to give HIV some time to grow on you, I wasn't that keen the first time I played (for a few weeks maybe) but coming back to it (especially after V) I enjoyed it significantly more
I've tried several times, played all campaigns, almost all maps, and tried again on several ocasions... but H4 just cant grow on me like any other sequel in the series.
I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I just can't play it for long like others.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Sep 2007, 02:30

Ya5MieL wrote:
asandir wrote:I think you have to give HIV some time to grow on you, I wasn't that keen the first time I played (for a few weeks maybe) but coming back to it (especially after V) I enjoyed it significantly more
I've tried several times, played all campaigns, almost all maps, and tried again on several ocasions... but H4 just cant grow on me like any other sequel in the series.
I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I just can't play it for long like others.
that happens though, tastes will always differ, it'd be a bland world if not for that
Meta wrote:Hmm, that's strange, because I distinctly remember the non-patched game seriously lagging. Do you have the Ubi "version" of the game? Maybe it's different in that case. Or do you have both expansions installed? Because in that case I think the game is automatically patched.
that's why I mentioned it .... I found it strange too .... I did try to get the patches to work but had absolutely no success - I got the right locality and everything, but no joy .... so it's unpatched and no expansions either .... it used to lag like a b@stard on my old machine, but the only issue I have now is that on closing it takes a significant amount of clear memory down, so the icons and windows screen refresh takes a while

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 28 Sep 2007, 08:11

I think downloading the patch would be impossible for me through dial up. Is'nt it rather huge? And I'm not even sure which patch version I would need. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

More observations from a first time H4 player:

I wish I could select the Hero I want. I miss that. Playing WoG for ages and still loving it, the Heroes remind me of commanders as opposed to the other way around. When I first saw an opposing Hero take some of my creatures and used them to attack me, was a surprise.
I used auto combat on a large town seige and lost. Then, I restarted the last auto save, fought the town again on my own and won with mass creatures left in my ranks. ( I am still using auto combat to see how things work.) I'm not at all impressed with auto combat. The hero keeps casting the same things over and over even though I have mass spells to use. So, I'm getting more into the casting part myself because of that.
The map I'm "discovering" this game with is 'Big Wars.' An XL 2 level map. I know others may have other suggestions for other maps. But I like this map because it has a lot of stuff and a lot of towns on it. All random and so on. So far, I have completed conquering the upperworld in 11 months. Playing on the novice level. Hey, just starting this game, now. I'll be at normal once I beat the map and will consequently play at the normal level from then on.
So far it's "interesting."

Return to “Heroes I-IV”