You knew it was coming... favorite Heroes game

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Pick yer fave.

King's Bounty (1990)
No votes
Heroes of Might and Magic I
No votes
Heroes of Might and Magic II
48%
Heroes of Might and Magic IV
38%
Heroes of Might and Magic V
15%

Total votes: 40

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

You knew it was coming... favorite Heroes game

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 26 Aug 2007, 22:55

Yeah somebody made one long ago. Let's make a new one.

Mine's H3 closely followed by H2.

H1 will always have a special place in my gaming heart because of its unique graphics... but I don't play it anymore though.

Chai26
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Chai26 » 27 Aug 2007, 04:53

HOMM 3 surely, i still remember the cheats even to this day!
played it a lot when i was younger
Voodoo Child
Some say, he/she sucks the moisture out of ducks.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Aug 2007, 06:23

how long was the poll length on this poll? cause I don't remember voting and I think the poll is closed? unless I'm going crazy of course
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Aug 2007, 10:50

asandir wrote:unless I'm going crazy of course
Seems to be the case...

I vote H2... only played it 2 or 3 times before getting H3, and never more then a week or two coz i sucked, but it forever impressed me. H3 lost some of the spirit while gaining features, and H4 was just never polished properly.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 27 Aug 2007, 13:20

When Heroes of Might and Magic came out, it was the greatest "one more turn" game I thought I had ever played. But The Succession Wars and the new features that were added into HOMM2 created the eternal love affair with the series. HOMM was the fairy tale but HOMM2 was the Epic Adventure. Since then I've enjoyed playing all of the games (still working on HOMM5) but none of them quite replace that "lost" feeling of playing HOMM2.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Aug 2007, 13:31

Chai26 wrote:HOMM 3 surely, i still remember the cheats even to this day!
played it a lot when i was younger

OK, let test it ;)

What is "nwcthereisnospoon" "nwcagents" and "gosolo"?

And what about

"nwcgrail" or "wogeyeofsauron"? Hmm.... :-D

*Mine favourite is Homm3. - Still.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 27 Aug 2007, 14:09

ATM H3.
If ToE fulfills my expectations, H5 will have my vote.

nwcbluepill.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 27 Aug 2007, 14:53

Heroes 2 by far.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 27 Aug 2007, 16:17

Voted Heroes II

I loved that game so much, I couldn't stop playing. I was a total addict. Heroes III is wonderful too but even though Heroes II wasn't my very first Heroes game, it is the one that most enchanted my imagination.

I really love Heroes III & Heroes IV too! :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 27 Aug 2007, 16:29

H3 would have to be my favorite. It's the one that got me into Heroes of Might and Magic.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 27 Aug 2007, 22:47

I've got to go with HoMM 2 without much reservation. The improvements over HoMM1 were dramatic ; the art was very nice ; and the story was more compelling than anything that I've seen in any HoMM before or since.

HoMM 2 simply wins by a huge margin. H3 is next ; H1 is next. I'm still undecided about H4 & H5 but I'll give H5 next with H4 bringing up the rear.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 28 Aug 2007, 11:35

Alamar wrote:I've got to go with HoMM 2 without much reservation. The improvements over HoMM1 were dramatic ; the art was very nice ; and the story was more compelling than anything that I've seen in any HoMM before or since.
While the H2 story was simple, it was the two main characters that made it interesting. Roland and Archibald are still, to this day, the coolest and most interesting characters ever made in the M&M universe (IMHO). Sandro comes close.

Who didn't love to read Roland's letters in MM6 (the ones in the manual and the "lost" one in a dungeon) , and their large roles in MM7?

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 28 Aug 2007, 12:05

Roland and Archibald are still, to this day, the coolest and most interesting characters ever made in the M&M universe (IMHO).
I haven't played M&M 6 or 7, but I definitely don't get that impression from just playing HoMM II. As portrayed in the cutscenes, Roland is really just a stereotypical valorous knight. Luckily, Archibald is several steps above the stereotypical cartoon villain, as shown by the line "You'll find I can be a very generous lord, if you are loyal."

Anyway, despite any problems with the story, HoMM II is still easily the best in the series.

HoMM III's driving philosophies were "more is better" and "Bring in the mainstream." They traded 6 interesting and unique factions for 8 bland and similar factions, each with a fairly-weak level 1 and and extremely-powerful level 7 and absolutely no variety in upgrades, making it a worthless feature. They traded the artifact system of the first two games and the tough strategic decisions (e.g.: If I take this artifact, any artifacts I capture will be lost) that must be made for the current system and the easy tactical decisions that must be made (It's the end of the day and I'm fairly safe, so I'll put this Sulfur-generating artifact in active position). They absolutely made the upgrade system worthless by making a manually-upgraded Giant cost the exact same as a Titan. They added more skills and more spells, at net loss. In return, HoMM II's charm was lost with H3's inferior music and art. Still, it's probably second best.

HIV had AI issues, and some changes (flaggable windmills, heroes on the battlefield) were just bad ideas. Remove the AI problems, and this would be third.

HV was buggy, unbalanced, and was far removed the feel of H2 and H. I'm not quite sure how to describe all it's problems, or the what makes its feel different, but one cause/effect is shown by how castles, rather than being often found in clusters of several, are always standalone and far between. The slowness of the game (even on this beast of a PC), far from superficial, also greatly contributes to the problems with feel. I had no desire to get HoF as a result.

HI: I don't remember it. Haven't played since my PC ran Windows 95.

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 28 Aug 2007, 22:45

H2...it just had that special 'magic' to it. Superb game.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 29 Aug 2007, 01:28

Ok, sorry folks but there's a bit too much H2 praise here and as much as I liked playing it in '96 and '97, I have to be the devil's advocate here and point out some of H2's flaws that make it inferior to H3.

H2 has crap balance - Warlocks castles dominate everything. Don't tell me that "early build" excuse, Warlock creatures are good at all levels. Warlock creatures led by a might hero > everything. Case closed.

H2 has crap AI - I've seen opponents drop stacks of powerful L6's to pick up a few rogues. In combat the AI CONSTANTLY feels the need to attack my shooter stack no matter how weak, and prefers to cast Disrupting Ray over better spells like Blind, Slow, Haste or Meteor Shower.

H3 factions and upgrades are NOT all boring and pointless. Since all creatures can be upgraded, it's bound to happen that some of them are generic, but many of them add interesting abilities to make them quite different units. Cerberi, Master Genies, Efreet, Harpy Hags, Master Gremlins, Wraiths, Magogs, Arch Angels to name a few. And all factions have something unique and interesting. Some of H2's upgrades are generic as well (many just add HP and speed!).

Saying H3's factions are generic compared to H2 is an opinion, not a fact. Despite being closer to each other in power (compared to H2's Knight town vs Warlock town), each town plays quite differently. And H3 is the only game to date to have a Swamp faction.

H3 is MUCH easier to balance/modify than H2. H3 has extractable data files. H2's data is all hard coded. It's doable (thanks to hex editing) but it's awkward and not as complete as the data files. I made my own balance patch (that took years to refine) and H3 is as a smooth as it's ever been.

H3 is not just "more of the same". It added genuinely interesting new features, like:
- Heroes keep their Exp, Skills and Spells through campaigns (one of H3's best feature over H2, IMHO)
- Underground.
- Magic schools (ok, some did not like this feature, but I do, since I balanced it using data files, fire magic is better (town portal is now a fire&earth spell) and mass spells much more expensive now)
- Much, much better map editor.
- Custom campaigns.
- Much better designed town building cost/dependency overall . (No more stupid wells, town halls increase income, all growth is increased by a percentage = much better).

Anyway. I agree that H3 music is garbage though. That's why I replaced it with MP3s ripped from H2 and MM6 music CDs!! MM6 has a few grass themes, dungeon themes, desert themes, wasteland themes etc

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 29 Aug 2007, 03:21

:up: :yes:

I agree with Undead Half Orc.

And anyway all the heroes games have crap AI.

_____

I prefer the style and art of heroes 2 to any of the other 3 3do games. However, I am the lone vote for heroes v. Logical reasoning about quality etc. aside I haven't played any other heroes game as intensively over such a long period of time. Heck I even play multiplayer online, something I haven't done with any other heroes game.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 29 Aug 2007, 03:40

PhoenixReborn wrote: And anyway all the heroes games have crap AI.
Heroes 1 and Heroes 3 have decent AI.

(I have yet to play a turn based strategy game with what I'd rate excellent AI... though M.A.X. come close (1997 strategy game with huge militaty complexes­ and tons of units)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Aug 2007, 14:40

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:though M.A.X. come close (1997 strategy game with huge militaty complexes­ and tons of units)
I think i played it once... but never found it again after. So many cool games from back then that i only played briefly... :(
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 29 Aug 2007, 15:56

Well, the problem with M.A.X. is that after you've played 2-3 full games, that's it, there's not much reason to play again after that (except against some friends, good luck finding them); you've seen anything the game can offer.
- All units and buidings are available right off the bat
- All 8 factions can build exactly the same units (a few stat changes is all)
- No matter what map, all games play the same exact way every time.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Aug 2007, 16:18

And i'd have like the chance to find that out for myself.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”