The price of loyalty campaign: final map

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
SpinalBlood
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

The price of loyalty campaign: final map

Unread postby SpinalBlood » 21 Jul 2007, 22:21

Hi, I was trying to win the final map of the first campaign of HOMM2POL (which is infact named, the price of loyalty :) )

But is there a way to do it? In the time that I'm able to have 20 titans I enter a teleport lith and face an hero with 217 bone dragons, now that is f***ing ridicolous

Any hints?

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 21 Jul 2007, 22:30

You were moving too slow. You have to restart the scenario, but you've probably already figured that much ;)

The key to win this scenario is speed, so your enemies won't get those insane armies. It's been quite some time, since I've played it myself, so I can't remember more specific things though.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 22 Jul 2007, 00:51

Did you make sure to get all components of the Battle Garb of Anduran in the campaign? Starting the scenario with it ensures you can cast the town portal at ALL times. Use that to the fullest extent.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 22 Jul 2007, 13:36

217 Bone Dragons sounds about right. I don't think you were moving too slowly. I made full use of the Battle Garb as well as Mass Slow, Resurrect True and Dimension Door. My main army (you really don't need more than one) consisted of Titans, Archmagi, Crusaders, War Trolls, and either Phoenixes or Greater Druids (can't recall which - probably GD at first). The key for me was baiting the AI with undefended castles. Take a castle, then walk away a bit leaving it undefended. The AI will walk in and drop off a good portion of his army, a portion you can handle easily. Repeat until you can handle the hero.

The way I dealt with Mr. 217 was: Slow, Mass Bless, Mirror Image on the Crusaders (to absorb the Bone Dragons' retaliation), lots of Lightning Bolts, and finally a Resurrect True for whomever was my highest losses. I think I survived relatively unscathed after that. You WILL need as many spell points as you can get. Don't be ashamed to use every cheese tactic you can think of - it'll take everything you've got. Good luck!

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 22 Jul 2007, 20:48

Had a look at savegames and last time I did it "very slow". Somewhere in the middle of forth month, with close to hundred titans vs >300 bone dragons. In fact I wonder if you can pass him in growth rate. With a good number of built up wizard castles you may be able to get more tiatns per week than he gets bonies. And he usually will not accumulate them on one hero but split to several heroes.

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 23 Jul 2007, 17:09

It's true that having the Battle Garb of Anduran really helps out this mission (then again, what mission wouldn't it really help?).

But, if I remember correctly, to get the final piece of the Battle Garb, you have to beat a very difficult, optional mission first. I really have to find my PoL CD so I can replay some of these maps! :)

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 23 Jul 2007, 18:44

Pitsu wrote:In fact I wonder if you can pass him in growth rate. With a good number of built up wizard castles you may be able to get more tiatns per week than he gets bonies. And he usually will not accumulate them on one hero but split to several heroes.
Made a little test and just waited nearly 2 months. Had 6 wizard towns andthus 18 titans per week. One red dimension doored into my area, but got killed easily. Moved forward with some 180 titans + some supporting archmagi, some boars, halflings and rocks. The main red hero had ca 400 bone dragons, which, considering titan - bonedragon strengths were no big deal (good morale, mirror image). The rest of his heroes had often hundreds of bone dragons and up to a legion of vamps and liches. But since these heroes had low stats, all fights were nearly "no casualties" for me (mass slow is a good thing against fliers). In conclusion, I think You do not have to worry about hurring to the final opponent on this map. Take down everyone else, and build yourself up.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 24 Jul 2007, 03:26

AngelEyes wrote:But, if I remember correctly, to get the final piece of the Battle Garb, you have to beat a very difficult, optional mission first. I really have to find my PoL CD so I can replay some of these maps! :)
As I recall, the final scenario is the hardest, so I say it's totally worth it to get the Battle Garb. Here's a tip: use a spare hero to block Stone Liths.
Pitsu wrote:Had 6 wizard towns andthus 18 titans per week.
You had SIX?!?!? I think I had two. This scenario would be (eventually - if you wait long enough) a cakewalk with six.

SpinalBlood
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SpinalBlood » 25 Jul 2007, 13:14

Thx for the tips anyway I succesfully win it; the dragons were a total number around 800 this time and the main enemy hero had 489! But I attemped to conquer one of the castles and then escape with dimension door, so the hero usually splitted the dragons, repeat until they were beatable; I could handle 100 bone dragons with 82 titans and a lighting bolt of 1012 damage! ;)

SpinalBlood
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SpinalBlood » 25 Jul 2007, 13:23

Kristo wrote:217 Bone Dragons sounds about right. I don't think you were moving too slowly. I made full use of the Battle Garb as well as Mass Slow, Resurrect True and Dimension Door. My main army (you really don't need more than one) consisted of Titans, Archmagi, Crusaders, War Trolls, and either Phoenixes or Greater Druids (can't recall which - probably GD at first). The key for me was baiting the AI with undefended castles. Take a castle, then walk away a bit leaving it undefended. The AI will walk in and drop off a good portion of his army, a portion you can handle easily. Repeat until you can handle the hero.

The way I dealt with Mr. 217 was: Slow, Mass Bless, Mirror Image on the Crusaders (to absorb the Bone Dragons' retaliation), lots of Lightning Bolts, and finally a Resurrect True for whomever was my highest losses. I think I survived relatively unscathed after that. You WILL need as many spell points as you can get. Don't be ashamed to use every cheese tactic you can think of - it'll take everything you've got. Good luck!
yes basically like this strategy, I had also some luck on never dying

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 26 Jul 2007, 14:34

Ok, finally found my PoL CD and dug up some of my saved games so I could replay this mission.

The first time through I got crushed. Red had Dimension Door and ambushed me while I was conquering the swamp area. He had about 350 Bone Dragons while I only had 20 Titans. I really had no chance here.

So I restarted and fared much better the second time around. With a clearer idea of what to do (and having jogged my memory), I was able to sweep through the green, purple and yellow enemies much faster. And Red didn’t have Dimension Door this time either. As an added bonus, one of the Purple Wizard towns had an upgraded Cloud Castle with 20 Titans in reserve, just waiting for me to buy them. (Maybe they didn’t have enough gems?) So when I finally set my sights on red, I had 103 Titans supported by Arch Magi, War Trolls (I had 3 Barbarian towns to draw from), Steel Golems, and 800+ Halflings. Red had some heroes with large stacks of Bone Dragons (350+), Liches, and Vampires – but never bothered to consolidate them into one super force. So I was able to easily smash them with the help of Mass Slow. The foolish AI never bothered to cast Mass Haste, instead opting to cast Disrupting Ray on my Titans. Also, my hero’s stats were far superior to any red hero (my defense and spell power were both above 20, while none of red’s heroes exceeded 10 in any stat!).

All in all, it was pretty easy the second time around. Had red decided to consolidate, it would have been much, much tougher though.

PS – After replaying it, I’m pretty sure the towns in the swampy area are random. So you may or may not get additional Wizard castles. In my second go-around above, I got some extra Barbarian towns.

RiccElijah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RiccElijah » 16 Aug 2007, 15:57

Well.. I was REEEEEEAL slow.. but blocked the teleport gate with a hero and created a massive 5th lvl creatures army (Titans, Phoenix, Crusaders, Cyclops, Bone Dragons) and a second army with huge numbers of shooters (Archmagi, Elves, Druids, Archers and Halflings basically)...
with the 2 armies I defeated that Uberhero with the whole undead army..

then took one castle at the time..

but when is the time to claim the last castle I walk in it and nothing happens.. I cannot claim it, nor there is a battle..

what did I screw up?

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 17 Aug 2007, 13:06

There must be another hero somewhere, or maybe even another castle.

RiccElijah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RiccElijah » 18 Aug 2007, 14:29

nope...
checked with view earth spell...
but the problem is that the castle I enter DOES NOT became one of my own.. no combat, no conquest, no nothing..
it just seems bugged :S

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 18 Aug 2007, 14:38

Strange, I never encountered that problem in my H2 playing years. Have the latest patch?

RiccElijah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RiccElijah » 21 Aug 2007, 08:43

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Strange, I never encountered that problem in my H2 playing years. Have the latest patch?
i think so.. I'm using a Heroes Complete copy...

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 21 Aug 2007, 13:56

I never got any "complete" collection for any of my games. "Complete" games, ironically, tend to never be COMPLETE - they miss manuals, they miss intro movies, they miss CD soundtracks. Sometime they have bugs too! Screw "complete"!

Return to “Heroes I-IV”