4th vs 5th level spells

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Overman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

4th vs 5th level spells

Unread postby Overman » 18 Jul 2007, 04:49

IMO, the 4th level spells are superior to the 5th level ones. 5th level spells, other than Fly, DD, or Implosion, seem too specialized and limited in scope.

Aside from my thread on 'Town Portal', there are others that seem more powerful: Chain Lightning, Water Walk, Prayer, Ressurection, and Meteor Storm.

Ressurection is priceless, especially with a high spell power and lots of low-level units.

Similarly, chain lightning is probably the best offensive spell (besides Implosion)...with a high SP one can easily blow away half of an enemies troops and field pieces.

Any thoughts?

Overman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Overman » 18 Jul 2007, 04:50

Sorry, Im referring to the HOMM III series.

Currently playing through the Chronicles as Tarnum...halfway through 'Master of the Elements' right now.

:D

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 18 Jul 2007, 05:01

You are not alone on this thought. A lot of 5th level spells seem to limited. When they fit the occasion they can be potent, but I have to agree. Very seldom do I find myself casting 5th level spells.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 18 Jul 2007, 06:15

Berserk is perhaps the best spell of the lot if you have expert fire. The only level 4-5 spells I'd rank higher are the big 3: Town Portal, Dim Door and Fly. The only combat level 5 spell worth having most of the time is Implosion.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 18 Jul 2007, 06:36

You forgot Clone.
ZZZzzzz....

gaspi2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby gaspi2 » 20 Jul 2007, 17:00

In my opinion 5th spells allows u to win combat at all costs...I think...when u have after tough battle some kind of 2 arch devils and opponent has 30 hydras then u can blind + summon a LOTS of earth elementlas(some 400-500) and beat it up, while keeping devils out of hydra's range...
Or sacrifice, yes u will destroy the body...but how much life u get ressurected! very nasty when some high hit pts stuff is killed like dedrioid soldiers and then after sacrifice u will ressurect almost same number of unicorns:-/

Overman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Overman » 20 Jul 2007, 20:59

Every spell has its use...some (5th lvl) are very specialized and only useful in certain occasions...too few occasions, IMO.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 20 Jul 2007, 22:05

Overman wrote:Every spell has its use...some (5th lvl) are very specialized and only useful in certain occasions...too few occasions, IMO.
I agree. you just need to anticipate to your enemy. Usualyi letmy hero wait and se what kin dof magic the computer is using, does he buff up, then ill do the opposite, otherwise ill cast chin lightning or something to bring massive damage...

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 20 Jul 2007, 23:23

Gaidal Cain wrote:Berserk is perhaps the best spell of the lot if you have expert fire. The only level 4-5 spells I'd rank higher are the big 3: Town Portal, Dim Door and Fly. The only combat level 5 spell worth having most of the time is Implosion.
I completely agree about expert Berserk. Can make a huge difference if you are fast enough.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 21 Jul 2007, 16:28

I pretty much agree with the original poster. Besides from DD and Fly, the Lvl 5 spells are mostly just not worth it, except in very rare cases.

The same goes IMO for the Lvl 3 spells, with Teleport and Raise Dead, as only exceptions. Most often the Lvl 1 and 2 spells are just the better choices, wether its for damage, cursing or buffing up your own stacks.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”