Stereo or operasound possible in Heroes 2?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Stereo or operasound possible in Heroes 2?

Postby Campaigner » Jun 12 2007, 5:05

The compatibility kit in the sticky didn't work (there's already a profile for Heroes, did you know that?). Mounting with CD in drive didn't work, WIN 95 compatibility is on....so what can I do?

Like only midi sound wasn't bad enough....now the game crashes when I enter combat! Attacking some wandering monsters (first battle in the map) and the game crashes to desktop with the "game has encountered a problem and needs to close" message.....

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Postby Kristo » Jun 12 2007, 13:44

Applying the Win95 compatibility setting will override anything you did with the tookit. Try turning that off and re-applying your Heroes compatibility profile.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Campaigner » Jun 12 2007, 21:48

Didn't work.

Will it work perfectly if I dualboot with Win98 instead of XP?

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Postby Kristo » Jun 13 2007, 2:52

If your other OS is a linux flavor, try Wine. According to them, Heroes 2 is supposed to run pretty well out of the box.

I've seen the same crash repeatedly for Heroes 1, but never for Heroes 2. I'll have to think/experiment a bit and get back to you.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Campaigner » Jun 13 2007, 4:11

I tried the premade compatibility for "Heroes of Might and Magic" and it plays perfectly now (though without stereo sound).

So how do we get the stereo sound up and running? :) Also no sound in the campaign menus when you choose a mission.

So annoying....in Heroes III it's mp3s. No stupid stereo selection....

Update: I've tried Virtual PC 2007 but I can't install Win98 on it (computer seem to look for it but nothing happens).

MoxManiac
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby MoxManiac » Jun 15 2007, 15:48

Are you using XP? H2's sound worked fine for me after installing with no modifications or changes to anything on XP SP2; it was installing that was my problem. (hence my thread)

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Postby Kristo » Jun 18 2007, 13:24

I'll assume you have the stereo sound turned on in the game options. What fixes did the "Heroes of Might and Magic" compatibility thing enable? When I wrote the fix you saw in the FAQ I was using ACT version 3.0. I wonder if version 5.0 has changed anything.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”