Looking backward: First impressions on HoMM4

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 01 Jul 2007, 22:05

gravyluvr wrote:Excellent!

I'd be interested in seeing you keep this thread alive as you either play fan made maps or Equi.
He still has the expansion campaigns before him, for what it's worth.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 02 Jul 2007, 08:18

Metathron wrote: He still has the expansion campaigns before him, for what it's worth.
I still get creeps when I remember the expansion maps. Especialy when I look at the original campaigns.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 02 Jul 2007, 15:04

gravyluvr wrote:Excellent!

I'd be interested in seeing you keep this thread alive as you either play fan made maps or Equi.
I'll think about it. I am continuing straight on into the Gathering Storm campaigns. I've just started the first (only a few weeks in), and it seems interesting with a dedicated magic hero. I am probably going to get basic life magic for the might hero, just for the bind wounds spell, but otherwise concentrate on combat and tactics for her. Maybe pick up some free magic skill levels from appropriate sites as I go on. I haven't decided on the other two primaries yet (maybe nobility and scouting, but another magic may be useful.)

As for fan maps, I'll get to those once I finish all the campaigns (at my current rate, that may take until the end of the year - and then I'll have the H5 campaigns from that expansion. I'm also playing more of Zelda on my Wii the last few days, and I have a few other games backlogged there)

I plan on getting Equilibrus once I have finished the campaigns.

@HP: I would be very surprised if you did agree with everything I wrote :)
Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

@everyone else: Since I have now placed my main opinions out there, I am no longer worried about other people's comments affecting my views. Feel free to discuss my points. Just try to refrain from spoilers for the expansion campaigns until I have gotten through them :D

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 02 Jul 2007, 17:39

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:@HP: I would be very surprised if you did agree with everything I wrote :)
Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I only thought the Graphics weren't so bad in Heroes 4, maybe they just grew on me after awhile … and/or after I enjoyed playing the game so much through the years. :)
Last edited by Anonymous on 02 Jul 2007, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Jul 2007, 17:47

It kept me some time, but I had got used to homm4 graphics. Some of its elements are excellent - however it's like with 3d chess for me, I'm loosing concentration from all that angles. So Homm3 "flat" graphics is remaining best for my playing style.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 02 Jul 2007, 19:21

HodgePodge wrote: I only thought the Graphics weren't so bad in Heroes 4, maybe they just grew on me after awhile … and/or after I enjoyed playing the game so much through the years. :)
Me too. I still like the graphics in H4 the most. Looks the most fairy tale like, just what HoMM is.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jul 2007, 21:36

HodgePodge wrote: I only thought the Graphics weren't so bad in Heroes 4, maybe they just grew on me after awhile … and/or after I enjoyed playing the game so much through the years. :)
I always found the graphic engine good, but the design of most creatures rather uninspired...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 03 Jul 2007, 07:22

Town graphics and some unit graphics are lacking, but IMO adventure map graphics are best of the HoMM series.

Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jul 2007, 08:11

Damn you HoMM4... how can you look so good and so bad at the same time?!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 03 Jul 2007, 09:12

ThunderTitan wrote:Damn you HoMM4... how can you look so good and so bad at the same time?!
Maybe you should try higher resolution? ;)
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 03 Jul 2007, 12:23

It is THE best adventure map graphics in any Homm game indeed. To a isometric 2D map to be.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 04 Jul 2007, 14:23

Due to the large number of pictures that have appeared in the discussion, I have split off the portrait discussion into its own thread, with a pictures disclaimer. There was nothing wrong with the discussion, just too many pictures. The portrait discussion can be found
here now.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Jul 2007, 17:37

Nice analysis Qqd. I can't say I feel it is fair to try to rank each game against the others, as they are different and span a long period of time where technology has greatly changed. There's also a nostalgia factor which will make it hard for me to rank H2 very low, even though later games were deeper and probably more fun.

I am wondering, though, if you would mind commenting on whether you think your comparative perspectives (relative rankings?) of H4 and H5 (and H3 perhaps) would be different if you had played them in chronological order rather than the reverse way.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jul 2007, 18:22

H2 was way funner, and i've only played it 2-3 times before i got H3, when i wasn't any good at anything. It just has a better atmosphere to it.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 10 Jul 2007, 15:23

Corribus wrote:Nice analysis Qqd. I can't say I feel it is fair to try to rank each game against the others, as they are different and span a long period of time where technology has greatly changed. There's also a nostalgia factor which will make it hard for me to rank H2 very low, even though later games were deeper and probably more fun.
Considering the whole thread is my opinion, fair is what I say it is. :devil:

Seriously, however, Part of my point with this thread was to see how H4 stacked up against H3 and H5 (since the biggest controversies were the transition from H3 to H4, and then "backwards" to H5). I threw in the first two simply because I could.

Also note that these are all relative rankings. A low ranking should not indicate that I thought it was lousy.

As for nostalgia, I am aware of that, and tried not to let that influence too much of my decisions. More likely a bias was the fact that it was very hard to recall exactly how much I enjoyed the earlier games, since it has been so long since my first time playing. Particularly the growth of the "one more turn" factor. I do not recall if I had that from day 1 of HoMM2 or not. Since I went straight on to H3 from 2, it was there directly, but the long time between 3 and 5 may have partially effected how long it took H5 to reach that point.

I am wondering, though, if you would mind commenting on whether you think your comparative perspectives (relative rankings?) of H4 and H5 (and H3 perhaps) would be different if you had played them in chronological order rather than the reverse way.

I don't know if this is possible to do. How would I have felt about the loss (and later return) of the caravan, for example? I cannot say, and can't even speculate. Heroes on/off the battlefield might have pushed H5 either way, relative to H3 (up, due to the 'variety' of styles - and thus looking for H6 to be on again, H7 off again, and so forth - or down, due to having gotten used to heroes on the battlefield after playing H4 for several years.)

In any case, although I generally avoided H4 discussion before (not having the game, it didn't interest me), I was aware of many of the opinions out there - particularly in discussions when H5 came out. This gave me a few points to focus on while playing. They may not have had as much impact if nobody had ever seen it before.

I'm certain my views would have been different in many places - particularly the borderline decisions - but whether for the better or worser of H4, I cannot say.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 13 Jul 2007, 07:08

nice work QD, excellent analysis

and TT I agree with your point, H2 for me was the most fun, by a long way
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 13 Jul 2007, 07:14

Same here. I'll never forget the fist time I booted it up and heard the theme music. Still makes me smile.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Poor Bohb (TGS campaign 1)

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 14 Jul 2007, 12:37

Well, I have now seen the danger of not having combat skill. I just began map 4 of Bohb's campaign, and my archmage was by himself. I saw a moderate stack of level 3s nearby, and figured I could take them out alone. Of course, without combat I had lousy attack/defense skills and without the artifacts from the last map, no armor. Unfortunately, I did have enough levels to get GM life in the last map, so I couldn't cast guardian angel (If I could, then I probably would have won the battle anyway). I might try the battle again, casting fortune on turn 1 to reduce damage, but it does appear I have to rethink my strategy this map (at least until I can produce some good creatures and get some armor.

This is the first time since starting H4 that I couldn't get combat for a hero, and so now I can see the problems that others had mentioned about it in the past. Hopefully, this just requires a different strategy to be used, but I will find that out soon enough.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Poor Bohb (TGS campaign 1)

Unread postby wimfrits » 14 Jul 2007, 14:12

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:I might try the battle again, casting fortune on turn 1 to reduce damage,
Cast summon leprechaun instead to buy you some extra time. Fortune + fodder. One of the best spells in the game ;)
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Return to “Heroes I-IV”