Looking backward: First impressions on HoMM4

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 May 2007, 16:36

Jolly Joker wrote:and once you ARE an advanced class you cannot change it except when you are a class consisting of 2 magic skills and you get the 3rd.
Of course you can- you just need to accumulate more points in another skill than the lowest of the two skills that consitutes your advanced class. And archmage is "any advanced magic combination"+3 magic skills outside this.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 28 May 2007, 17:57

Never worked for me, sorry.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 May 2007, 19:05

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote:and once you ARE an advanced class you cannot change it except when you are a class consisting of 2 magic skills and you get the 3rd.
Of course you can- you just need to accumulate more points in another skill than the lowest of the two skills that consitutes your advanced class. And archmage is "any advanced magic combination"+3 magic skills outside this.
Thanks Gaidal, I'm always trying to figure out how to get to my desired advanced class or how to avoid becoming one that I don't want to be.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 28 May 2007, 21:05

Either I missed AI escaping or it caravaned its troops and heroes out of town when I approached it to take it back in last Chaos map. AI sometimes surprises.

Completed all the original Heroes 4 campaigns for the first time. Story and gameplay was what hold me to them. Maps weren't much of a challenge though.

I wonder also whether Equilibris team should up the price of Immortality Potions to 2000 or even 3000 coins a bottle.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Naturally speaking...

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 29 May 2007, 14:09

Only a short update today.

I finished the order campaign, and found the ending to be very anticlimactic. I didn't fight the last battle in a town siege, nor was it even close to the hardest battle I had earlier in the map. Oh, well. On to campaign 4.

Having had a little experience with nature heroes before, I focussed on getting my summoning skill up to grandmaster - and I still have a few levels before the cap in the first map! I took a few days separating elementals from my force until I got the ones I wanted - fire and water. The former for damage, and the latter for the fatigue spell. With no level 4s or portals of summoning constructable, and a maximum mage guild level of 2 (so far), I have very little new to see so far. Of course, the other campaigns started slowly in this respect also. More to come when I have something to add.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 30 May 2007, 03:50

Sauron wrote:
Combat skill is a very necessary skill for all Heroes.
!?
I play H4 on great difficulties and I NEVER use Combat skills.
How many PoIs do you use? Or do you always play Life?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 30 May 2007, 05:04

Basically I find all the campaigns extremely boring, gameplaywise, but Nature tops them all. Death is probably even more boring from the gameplay, but has excellent reading in between, at least. Chaos seemed to be the most interesting of the lot, but at that point my patience with the campaigns was already exhausted, so I never got around playing it fully.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 May 2007, 10:59

So a game who's gameplay you loath has boring campaign gameplay?! Well that's good to know. :rolleyes:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 30 May 2007, 11:43

No. Even considering that I don't like the game, the campaigns, especially Nature and Death are boring. I'd think that there will be enough people who actually like the game that will find the campaigns boring - the gameplay at least, not the stories, even though Nature is not that great a story, too.
It's more like the other way round: I loathe the game because the gameplay is so boring, especially in the campaigns.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 30 May 2007, 11:54

Bandobras Took wrote: How many PoIs do you use? Or do you always play Life?
I play random factions.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 30 May 2007, 13:56

ThunderTitan wrote:So a game who's gameplay you loath has boring campaign gameplay?! Well that's good to know. :rolleyes:
I have to agree with JJ, to a degree. What makes me remember the H4 campaigns is the stories, not the gameplay. In H5, there are at least a few maps that places the gameplay in front (good thing too, as the stories doesn't hold to motivate you your own).

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 30 May 2007, 14:05

Gaidal Cain wrote:What makes me remember the H4 campaigns is the stories
You must have low standards, then.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 30 May 2007, 14:14

Corribus wrote:
Gaidal Cain wrote:What makes me remember the H4 campaigns is the stories
You must have low standards, then.
In my personal opinion Gauldoth easily beats Lord Corribus for example.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 30 May 2007, 14:51

Corribus wrote:You must have low standards, then.
Not really. The H4 stories (note: h4 standard) were easily the most competently written ones from the developers part. There are fan maps out there that are better in that regard, but since heroes isn't as storydriven as other games out there, I find that the stories manages what they're there for, and then some (if the story was turned into a novel, I think i'd be able to put it away for some time. I would likely be able to finish it though). H5's stories, on the other hand, barely manages to establish what's happening, but never fleshes it out much beyond that (if It was a novella, I don't think I'd manage to finish it unless I knew I had to for some reason).

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 30 May 2007, 15:15

Pitsu wrote:In my personal opinion Gauldoth easily beats Lord Corribus for example.
Shouldn't this go into Gravyluvr's Bate contest thread? :)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 30 May 2007, 15:39

I think even mentioning that thread would be a good disqualifier!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 30 May 2007, 16:07

Well, Corribus is playing count him in. :-D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 May 2007, 17:33

gravyluvr wrote:I think even mentioning that thread would be a good disqualifier!
What are you talking about?! :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 31 May 2007, 02:37

I was wondering the same ;)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 31 May 2007, 09:36

How many PoIs do you use?
Number of PoI I useD in my whole life: 0
They make the game boring.

P. S. If you ask yourself why I replied the second time to your post, thats because I had no idea what PoI meant :P
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”