Looking backward: First impressions on HoMM4

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 17 May 2007, 19:02

Qurqirish Dragon, whenever you start H4 you're probably seeing the Winds of War main screen for H4 (not the mention that the Winds of War title theme plays at the background). The WoW main menu & title music are actually worse than vanilla H4's main menu & title music. I highly recommend changing them back to the original ones. Here's the simplest way to do: (don't worry, this does not alter any game files, so it is completely safe)
TheUndeadKing wrote:(To change both the main menu AND the music!) Here's what you need to do:

1. Use this program:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/homm4/ ... 32.006.zip

2. Extract this file from heroes4.h4r:
bitmap_raw.menu.main.1024.raw

3. Extract this file from music.h4r:
sound.main_menu.mp3

4. Create a new text document and type (or copy) these:

[H4R File List]
new.h4r
sound.main_menu.mp3
bitmap_raw.menu.main.1024.raw
[End]

Then click on File > Save As... and save the document as "new.h4l".

5. Copy these three files (2, 3, 4) into the same folder.

6. Open the extractor (1) and click Options > Build a h4l file. Then select the "new.h4l" file you just created (4). This will create a new file named "new.h4r". Copy this file into your Heroes 4\Data folder.

Voila! Enjoy your new menu & music! :)
You can also change the desktop icon for H4, as well (see avatar ;) ), but I think you'll need the original .exe file for H4 in order to do so.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 18 May 2007, 13:53

Sauron wrote:You learn new things about this game every day, don't you HP?

I bet that there are still many of those who don't know that they can change the names of heroes in taverns :)
That one I knew. Sometimes I hire Enathrae and rename her HodgePodge. :proud: Um, just my own personal little fantasy. ;|
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Order of the day (Order map 1)

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 18 May 2007, 14:39

Despite what I said before, I decided to keep going in order, with Order :-D

Once again I need to learn new tactics for the new creatures and spells. I have found that Illusion is a VERY powerful spell, as is poison. With a decent stack of genies and mages, I can do serious damage, while my main heroes concentrate on debuffs like forgetfulness and slow. The fact that an Illusion stack can be larger than the original makes this even stronger than I originally thought.

This campaign has reinforced the opinion I got early on that, more so than any other heroes game, each faction plays considerably differently - at least in the beginning of a campaign when creature stacks are much more important than later. Of course, in single scenarios, where the majority of play will eventually take place, this is a very good thing.

The treasury in the Academy is nice- but it runs the danger that it did in the Rampart in H3- if you can hold off on buying troops for a week or two, you can let your interest pile up and then never have a need to save. With the daily interest, you actually get about 10.5% per week, so the money grows faster than in H3. In fact, since my main force had to run around cleaning up a few strong heroes from one of the AIs before going after the last, I was able to let my creatures go unpurchased for almost a month. At that point, I was able to buy all creatures in all my towns (I think I had 6 at this point) and still had 28000 gold left. Of course, hoarding gold may cause a problem in the long-run, as it always causes the thought "I can hold off buying troops ONE more day, right?" But with a 2-day backup on autosaves, I don't think I'll get bitten to badly if this happens and an enemy catches me off-guard.

Only one carry-over hero to map two, but I got her up to expert in Order and Life magic (including Master Ressurrection- always a very useful skill!) , and some combat skill, although I haven't been offered archery for her yet (but except when forces are quite small, she'll probably use spells more anyway. I just hope that once I get her to grandmaster in Life, I will be able to get Guardian Angel (much cheaper than potions- which I fortunately haven't had much need for yet.)

As for the troops, it is what I expected. Lots of ranged power- a shooter or spellcaster at every level, with tanks as the alternate. Although I could only get Titans for my level 4 in this map, so I cannot compare these, I found the genies to be infinitely more useful than naga, with their illusion ability. I never gathered enough golems to give a good comparison to mages, but poison works incredibly well during seiges. Many times the AI just sat inside the castle, so I didn't even bother to invade. I poisened all the stacks and waited for them to die. A definite AI flaw.

More to come when I get through the next map.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 18 May 2007, 16:20

Here's a hint. As soon as you try out the Dragon Golems start experimenting with formations. The aim is that after casting illusion on the Dragon Golems with the Genies the illuson must form at a place so that you get complete coverage of the rest of your units with both Golem stacks.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Order of the day (Order map 1)

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 May 2007, 16:34

Qurqirish Dragon wrote: I have found that Illusion is a VERY powerful spell,
Hypnotize is even better when you fight against huge odds.
Qurqirish Dragon wrote: I will be able to get Guardian Angel (much cheaper than potions- which I fortunately haven't had much need for yet.)
But it wastes one of your turns in combat, potions don't. Divine Intervention is more useful imo.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 18 May 2007, 17:52

ThunderTitan wrote: But it wastes one of your turns in combat, potions don't. Divine Intervention is more useful imo.
Still a better-spent resource than five level upgrades wasted on Resurrection, whose only purpose is to recover one half of creatures that died because you didn't invest those same five level ups into a skill which would save them all.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 18 May 2007, 21:26

I started playing H4 Campaigns at the same time Qurqirish Dragon was middle in Might campaign. Now I have only Chaos campaign to go (granted, I'm on vacation). Back in 2002 when game came out, I had completed only Life and Nature campaigns and played little others, which I didn't even remember that well anymore.

I have to say that I've enjoyed H4 gameplay tremendously after break for years. And campaigns, while pretty easy, have good story (contrary to what I've said earlier) and maps are decent. Though AI is a lot more lively and agressive than back in 1.0. I'm playing on Advanced difficulty, because higher difficulties are broken for AI (I don't think Equibliris has changed it).

Some tidbits that might be interesting for new player:
Creature banks refill month after they've been conquered and the quantity of creatures grow there (means easy looting early after refill).
Month of creatures are dependant on the factions (and maybe neutrals) on the map. I.E if there are only Academy creatures on map each month will be month of some Academy creature.
Heal spells can be cast before battle to heal heroes, and Town Gate can be cast during battles.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 19 May 2007, 08:24

To QD:

Rather then spending your levels on Life Magic, I would reccomend you to spend theme on Order Magic, not becvause it is the most powerful school, but also because that is an important part of the faction you play.

And it is fun to use too! Makes your enemies mad... literally :)
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 May 2007, 08:55

pepak wrote: Still a better-spent resource than five level upgrades wasted on Resurrection, whose only purpose is to recover one half of creatures that died because you didn't invest those same five level ups into a skill which would save them all.
He was comparing it to potions, so i was thinking heroes only.

@Sauron:
Is his secondary hero is a Priest he should go with life magic, just for the resurrection spells.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 19 May 2007, 12:14

ThunderTitan wrote:
Qurqirish Dragon wrote: I have found that Illusion is a VERY powerful spell,
Hypnotize is even better when you fight against huge odds.
Qurqirish Dragon wrote: I will be able to get Guardian Angel (much cheaper than potions- which I fortunately haven't had much need for yet.)
But it wastes one of your turns in combat, potions don't. Divine Intervention is more useful imo.
Every time I've used a potion in combat, it uses a turn also. If you mean I can use it outside of battle, that is true, but I meant in-battle use. Obviously, if the battle is tough enough that I need the help, I'd want to use the potion ahead of time. (indeed, the first time I get any spare cash, I use one so I won't forget about it later!) Within battle, I usually have more than enough spare magic to use the spell instead of the potion. Also, the spell can be used on the non-hero units. Useful when you only have a few level 4s.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 19 May 2007, 12:26

Sauron wrote:To QD:

Rather then spending your levels on Life Magic, I would reccomend you to spend theme on Order Magic, not becvause it is the most powerful school, but also because that is an important part of the faction you play.

And it is fun to use too! Makes your enemies mad... literally :)
Well, I should be getting level 4 order magic on my next level up. I can't get level 5 spells on this map (level 5 guild is disabled in all towns I have so far), so I might continue the life after that. I have found that master charm has helped also.

My second hero is the dwarven hero from the storyline. I believe he is a general (nobility + combat), but I did buy basic life for him (so he has bind wounds; That spell never appeared in map 1- I was very annoyed; my only healing spell was mass healing.)

@JJ: I'd love to try the golems, but the dwelling has been disabled in every academy that I have had so far this campaign! Hard to try a creature you aren't permitted to get.
Obviously, I've been getting titans.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 May 2007, 13:38

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:If you mean I can use it outside of battle, that is true, but I meant in-battle use. Obviously, if the battle is tough enough that I need the help, I'd want to use the potion ahead of time.
The potions effects last until your first death...

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 19 May 2007, 15:33

I can'T help butmention that order magic sux... Most powerful? Lol.

Still, if you play with order, use it!

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 19 May 2007, 15:54

Heeey, it's csarmi!

Order magic sucks? :hoo:
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 May 2007, 17:58

csarmi wrote:I can'T help butmention that order magic sux... Most powerful? Lol.

Still, if you play with order, use it!
Against creatures... some of us try to use them too.

Paladin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Paladin » 19 May 2007, 19:57

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:My second hero is the dwarven hero from the storyline. I believe he is a general (nobility + combat)[...]
He's called 'General', but his advanced class is Warlord when you get him. Real Generals have Combat and Tactics.
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:@JJ: I'd love to try the golems, but the dwelling has been disabled in every academy that I have had so far this campaign! Hard to try a creature you aren't permitted to get.
Obviously, I've been getting titans.
I don't want to spoil the story for you, but the reason for that is related to the storyline of the campaign. You'll get to try them in later scenarios.

pacobac
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pacobac » 20 May 2007, 10:16

my end impressions on HoMM4:

the better of all heroes, the most difficult, most tactical, most variable, amazing editor who ensures the longevity of the play, and a superb MOD "EQUILIBRIS"

DAM marvelous game !!!! :-D

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Order of the day: Solmyr. Also a topic split.

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 21 May 2007, 14:41

I have split off the discussion of map suggestions to another topic. Please keep discussions here appropriate to the subject.
------------------------
Anyway, ono the section. I was a bit surprised to find that effectively a sub-campaign started with map 3. Now I was apparantly playing on the opposite side. This reminded me of a few campaigns from H3.
I was initially afraid that I would have to fight against my own beefed-up hero, but as the story unfolded, I became fairly certain that this will not happen, so I can develop Solmyr as I see fit. Currently, he has combat and order/life/death magics. Maybe I'll eventually get him to be an archmage. However, through map 3, death magic is hard to come by (it is disabled in the academy towns), so I haven't been bothering to develop it (I simply bought it from a university, so I sisn't waste a level-up on it).

I have started using my "slow-bomb" strategy- splitting one genie into every empty army slot, so I can cast slow on 3-4 stacks of walkers. This makes hero spells all but unneeded, even for large battles. In map 4, I finally got up to master order magic, so I have mass-slow available if I really need to slow things early (particularly with flying forces).

This map also was the first time I had more than one oracle for the puzzle map. It is interesting that you cannot locate the prize until all the pieces are found (you don't get partial maps). It also appears (from the puzzle screen) that there can be more than one diggable treasure on a map, each with its own set of oracles. I anticipate some interesting possibilities with this.

Nothing else overly surprising, but in map 4 finally get the dragon golems. (and no titans! talk about symmetry....)
It seems very situational as for which level 4 I'd like if I can only have one (but do have the choice).
Obviously, you can now comment about *WHY* the golems weren't available earlier, as it is no longer a spoiler for me :-D

More when I get towards the end...

Side note: The red dwarf mines are an interesting reference back to World of Xeen. Anyone else get that?

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 21 May 2007, 15:26

Side note: The red dwarf mines are an interesting reference back to World of Xeen. Anyone else get that?
Could someone explain? I don`t remember anything about red dwarf mines and i`m too lazy to replay order campaign :devious:

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 21 May 2007, 15:50

Meandor wrote:
Could someone explain? I don`t remember anything about red dwarf mines and i`m too lazy to replay order campaign :devious:
Red dwarf mines - is a set of mines in M&M4 filled with crazy dwarfs. Its near the first town.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”