Back to HII

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Back to HII

Unread postby asandir » 04 Apr 2007, 04:18

Well, I'm back playing HII again! tried a map of HV the other day, and it was alright, but the turns are just so slow and it just doesn't have the magic for me!

picking a new scenario (still haven't completed them all in HII) and starting out is as much fun as ever!
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 04 Apr 2007, 05:59

Yeah, playing old after long while to get new excitement and experience.
My last surviving CDs of Heroes 2 is Price of Loyalty expansion. Can't do it stand-alone I guess ?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 04 Apr 2007, 06:07

Nope, but I got HII Complete with HV .... best part of the collectors edition (and I include HV in that :D )

grobblewobble
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby grobblewobble » 04 Apr 2007, 07:36

Nice to see others playing H2! It's still my favourite after all these years, I like the nostalgic feeling and how smooth it runs on modern computers (even though I miss the wait button).

So, is anyone in for playing a MP game? I'm tired of fighting the Artificial Stupidity, I want an intelligent player to kick my butt. ;)

Unfortunately I don't have the expansion, only the original version.

Just let me know when you have time (I'm at +1 GMT), what map and difficulty and what special rules you want to set (if any). For example, Banedon mentioned the possibility to allow surrendering only for defending heroes.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 04 Apr 2007, 07:50

I'm +8 unfortunately, though when I was 6 I woulda been in the same timezone as you, since I woulda been in Voorburg then

grobblewobble
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby grobblewobble » 04 Apr 2007, 08:23

That doesn't have to be a problem. I could make time in the morning for it some day, if you can play in the evening. (yes, I've got way to much time and no life). Is it possible to play with someone who doesn't have the expansion?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 04 Apr 2007, 08:26

I don't know, but unfortunately - apart from timezone issues - I also have a wife and three young children, so time in general is a problem :D maybe in a few years when they're a bit older :D

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 04 Apr 2007, 12:04

HoMM II is an evergreen game.

Have you guys actually tried playing online with someone? I did and it wouldn't work, some problems with the connection or something.

Then someone told me about Hamachi, a nifty little program for playing games online. Get it here: http://www.hamachi.cc/download/list.php

Why don't I create a group for all of us Celestial Heavens HoMM II players?

So, install Hamachi and join the following group:

Celestial Heavens - HoMM 2
Password: heroes

See you there! :-D
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 04 Apr 2007, 15:59

grobblewobble wrote:That doesn't have to be a problem. I could make time in the morning for it some day, if you can play in the evening. (yes, I've got way to much time and no life). Is it possible to play with someone who doesn't have the expansion?
I would like to play with you (I live in Slovakia, so there's no problem with timezone), but don't expect too much from me, I play other games than Heroes 2-4 too ;)
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

grobblewobble
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby grobblewobble » 05 Apr 2007, 06:36

Ok, I joined the network. Klaymen, I think you would need to install hamachi and join..

Lord Belphegor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lord Belphegor » 05 Apr 2007, 17:02

So glad because you people are still thinking about Heroes 2 which has always been my favourite game! I sincerely expected to see a lot of talk about Heroes 3(because it's the most popular version anyway) on this Heroes I-IV board but it's a very nice surprise people are still playing Heroes 2.
I joined the Hamachi group and I'm waiting to see you there, maybe chat a bit.
The problem with heroes 2 in multiplayer is that it's unreliable. Heroes 2 gold has the IP option, it works, but it's unreliable. The slightest network problem will cause it to disconnect. Can you play multiplayer with Heroes 2 original?? It only has DOS's Netbios afaik so i don't see how it could be done.
Also, what does Hamachi do to improve multiplayer play? What does it do exactly? Does it make the connection reliable? I thought it was just a tool to emulate a LAN from various IP's. You can have a problem with connecting with direct IP only if you don't have a unique IP (being connected through a switch, or router). Otherway, it should work but disconnect at the slightest problem, i don't see how Hamachi would improve the connection. See you on the group then and maybe play one day. How would a Heroes II league sound? It would be a dream come true :)
Heroes II rules

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 05 Apr 2007, 17:10

People, if you're still using Windows 98 (the optimal platform for H2 - H3), like I do, you DON'T need any other third party program - direct TCP IP will work.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 05 Apr 2007, 18:18

grobblewobble wrote:Ok, I joined the network. Klaymen, I think you would need to install hamachi and join..
I am there.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 05 Apr 2007, 19:46

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:People, if you're still using Windows 98 (the optimal platform for H2 - H3), like I do, you DON'T need any other third party program - direct TCP IP will work.
But you still need to go looking for people to play with. Having a group like this provides you with readily available pool of players. So why not join us? :)
Lord Belphegor wrote:Also, what does Hamachi do to improve multiplayer play? What does it do exactly? Does it make the connection reliable?
Well, I have no frame of reference, because I've never played a multiplayer HoMM game under anything but windows XP, but it works great. And Hamachi also seems to be the only way to play HoMM II online under Win XP (and maybe 2000 too?).

EDIT: Oh yeah, make sure to make your HoMM II executable (i.e. your desktop icon) compatible with Windows 98 - right click on it, choose properties, choose the compatibility tab and tick 'run this program in compatibility mode for windows 98/ME'.

Lord Belphegor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lord Belphegor » 09 Apr 2007, 10:38

Posting to up this thread and also to remind you to join this Hamachi group where we can meet and arrange games or just talk about Heroes 2.

I tried playing vs Metathron and the issue i encountered some time ago was still there: the game seems to crash at random times during multiplayer in windows xp. Does anybody know a way to get around this? Or.. for my case, is there any way to install Windows 98 on a computer with a PCI Express video card? I tried to install it, and just after copying files, when it should detect hardware, it freezes and that's it for the installation of windows 98
Heroes II rules

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 09 Apr 2007, 11:52

I played with grobblewobble for some 25 minutes and everything was smooth, no crashes, no nothing. One other person I played with also experienced no such problems, whereas my friend's computer behaved exactly as yours did, Lord Belphegor.

Bottom line is, all these people are using the WinXP platform, so what could be impacting these different outcomes?

Lord Belphegor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lord Belphegor » 09 Apr 2007, 12:08

As far as i know, grobblewobble only has the Heroes 2 Original version. Did you manage to play like this?
Also, grobblewobble, is your version the one found in the Heroes 5 pack (a Windows version) or is it a DOS version?
It's quite intriguing to see that it worked.. maybe it has to do with security updates for windows XP as someone mentioned earlier some might have to be disabled for heroes 2 multiplayer to work
Heroes II rules

grobblewobble
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby grobblewobble » 10 Apr 2007, 07:41

Yes, I only have the original version. It isn't the one in the H5 pack, but the one that came out several years ago. A windows version.

Belph, did you do this:
EDIT: Oh yeah, make sure to make your HoMM II executable (i.e. your desktop icon) compatible with Windows 98 - right click on it, choose properties, choose the compatibility tab and tick 'run this program in compatibility mode for windows 98/ME'.
In my case it made the difference.

Pacifist
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Pacifist » 20 Apr 2007, 18:22

I tried to join but the network doesn't exist.

What exactly do I have to type?

network : ???
password: ????

edit: ok I joined a blank space in the network :)

Now I try to discuss with people there but it's not easy :)

edit2: ok it seems there is nobody there just the names, I suppose it has to be a hilighted button if someone is present.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 28 Apr 2007, 08:51

Metathron wrote:
So, install Hamachi and join the following group:

*bump*

Have had some nice games with Grobblewobble, but other than these few times that group has not exactly been overpopulated...

Return to “Heroes I-IV”