More questions - both for a scenario and a campaign...

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Raziel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

More questions - both for a scenario and a campaign...

Unread postby Raziel » 14 Jan 2006, 15:48

Made it past the Mongo campaign in Winds of War, but am now in the middle of getting creamed on the second map of the Mysterio campaign... any suggestions or approaches for dealing with this map would be greatly appreciated - I really can't get anywhere before I get wiped out by the enemies...

As for the scenario question, I am also working on My Brother's Keeper which is by Psychobabble (I think), I get to the point where I have to defeat a priest, stack of monks, and a stack of crossbowman just after I find the Emerald Bow - I must have replayed this 25+ times now, and cannot find a single way to even come close to winning - everything behind me is done, and there seems to be nothing left but find a way to win...although for the life of me I can't figure it out - any tips?

Thanks in advance,
M

Tao Jones
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tao Jones » 14 Jan 2006, 16:01

Not everyone has played that map, so you might want to give us your tactical situation, like what your forces and skills are, the size of your stacks and the stacks you are facing, etc.
»« Conquering Earth for our robot masters »«

Raziel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Raziel » 14 Jan 2006, 18:43

Sure the makeup is as follows:

My side - Lvl 17 Fireguard - GM Combat, Archery, Melee; Master Sorcery; Expert Chaos Magic; Advanced Conjuration; Basic Pyromancy, Nature Magic.

Has Crest of Valor, Spider Silk Arrows, Equestrian Gloves, Medal of Honor, Elven Chain, Boots of the Crodile, Emerald Bow, and 1 Potion of Restoration.

Can cast Haste, Speed, Magic Arrow, Summon Leprechaun, and Fire Bolt.

The baddies:
Lvl. 10 Paladin - GM Combat; Master Life Magic; Expert Healing; Basic Magic Resistance, Melee
as well as 50 monks and 128 Crossbowmen

This is a RPG-style map so ther is no real chance to deviate from what I have (i.e. only get one skill choice when advancing levels) as well as no opportunity to build forces or get other spells. About all I can see that can be changed is the position I place myself in when I attack the enemy... and maybe that will help somewhat but I'm not sure how....

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 14 Jan 2006, 20:31

For that part (Well actually a bit further, where you have to fight 2k sprites) I had to cheat after I tried about 10 times and realised it would have been impossible. St. Michael should help ;P

Tao Jones
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tao Jones » 14 Jan 2006, 22:23

The key to surviving this one seems to me to be reloading until you get terrain that allows you to cut the monks and crossbowmen ranged damage to 1/4 and 1/2, respectively. You didn't specify Equi, so I'm assuming three stacks for the baddies.

You get initiative. Monks are the primary target.
Round One: Fireguard shoots at monks, kill ~5, retaliation hits you for 37 dmg (223/260), second shot at monks kills ~5. Paladin blesses the monks. Monks attack for 38 dmg (185/260), Fireguard retaliates and kills ~5 monks. Crossbowmen attack for 17 dmg (168/260).
Round Two: Fireguard shoots at monks, kill ~5, retaliation hits you for 27 dmg (141/260), second shot kills ~5 monks. Paladin blesses the crossbowmen. Monks attack for 21 dmg (120/260), Fireguard retaliation kills ~5 monks. Crossbowmen attack for 22 dmg (98/260).
Round Three: Fireguard shoots at monks, kills ~5, retaliation hits you for 11 dmg (87/260), second shot kills ~5 monks (down to ~8 monks now). Paladin casts Heal on monks. Monks attack for 5 dmg (82/260), retaliation kills ~5. Crossbowmen attack for 22 dmg (60/260).
Round Four: Fireguard shoots and kills remaining monks. Paladin casts Defender (all friendly targets). Crossbowmen attack for 22 dmg (38/260), your retaliation kills ~35 crossbowmen.
Round Five: Fireguard shoots and kills 31 Crossbowmen, who retaliate for 10 dmg (28/260), second shot kills 34 crossbowmen. Paladin casts Spritual Armor on crossbowmen. Crossbowmen attack for 4 dmg (24/260) and are slain by retaliation.
Round Six: Fireguard shoots twice at Paladin for ~100 dmg.

At this point you have to hope the AI doesn't just keep healing the Paladin, since you'll run out of shots before the Paladin runs out of spell points.
»« Conquering Earth for our robot masters »«

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 15 Jan 2006, 21:36

On MBK; with that setup, summon leprechaun should probably be your first action. Ideally, the leprechaun should then first fortune K and next soak up the monks bolt. Should be easy after that.

Forgot what the 2nd mysterio map looked like...
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 16 Jan 2006, 10:57

yes and get summon satyr as soon as possible
that fight shouldn't be hard since your opponent has no tactics

I don't like your hero, btw: one of melee/archery is a waste. And you are to tell you have no resistance?

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 16 Jan 2006, 11:05

csarmi wrote:I don't like your hero, btw: one of melee/archery is a waste. And you are to tell you have no resistance?
Did you actually play the map? In MBK, all the fights are predetermined, as are - for the most part - your skills. You can't win the map without both Melee and Archery, and I believe Resistance is not needed until the last part of the map (if at all).

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 16 Jan 2006, 11:28

I'll second pepak. Without Melee AND Archery, My Brother's Keeper is impossible. You'd run out of shots and mana and have to rely on Melee.

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 16 Jan 2006, 14:28

pepak wrote: Did you actually play the map? In MBK, all the fights are predetermined, as are - for the most part - your skills. You can't win the map without both Melee and Archery, and I believe Resistance is not needed until the last part of the map (if at all).
Yes I did, though it was a long time ago. You might be right about resistance (although not taking it can be a serious gamble which might pay off knowing the maps of course).

I am pretty sure that one of those skills are enough and you are best off getting some magic. I think I actually did that back then. i dont have the saves though.

hm yes I got confused... i thought it was about the winds of war campaign
no i dont think i played MBK, I'll take a look at it though

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 17 Jan 2006, 00:27

You should. My Brother's Keeper is an excellent map. On par with A Wind of Thorns, even, except that A Wind of Thorns has more than one map :D

If I remember correctly you don't have much chances to learn spells, too.

joeldubuc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby joeldubuc » 20 Apr 2006, 19:55

I'm currently playing My Brother's Keeper, and I am stuck before that battle. How do you defeat the 9 champions and the dark champion with only your heroe and 25 elven archers and 1 sprite???

chaynhanh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby chaynhanh » 21 Apr 2006, 00:18

joeldubuc wrote:I'm currently playing My Brother's Keeper, and I am stuck before that battle. How do you defeat the 9 champions and the dark champion with only your hero and 25 elven archers and 1 sprite???
Well, as most of us here know, that "only" you have said can be pretty much, and since you are facing champions and Dark champion, having elven and sprite is for tactical purpose I think (don't blame me if I'm wrong cuz I haven't tried the actual map).
So plz give us some more detail about your "only hero", like does he have quick sand/summon water elemental/summon whaterver..., or he is an Arnold Schwarzenegger type with GM of everything needed in closed and range combat, or better yet, is he a magic caster with spells like hypno/berseck and tons of portion of imortality?

joeldubuc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby joeldubuc » 21 Apr 2006, 02:14

My Hero is level 10 Firegard (GM combat / GM archery / adv melee, adv chaos / basic conj / adv sorcery, basic nature)

I can only cast haste, magic arrow (84 dmg) and stoneskin

I have the following artifacts: Crest of Valor, Spider Silk Arrows, Equestrian Gloves, Medal of Honor, Elven Chain, shield, Sniper's crosbow,.

I have the following Potions: 2 Potion of Restoration, 1 strengh and 1 heal.

And as Raziel wrote previously: This is a RPG-style map so ther is no real chance to deviate from what I have (i.e. only get one skill choice when advancing levels) as well as no opportunity to build forces or get other spells. About all I can see that can be changed is the position I place myself in when I attack the enemy (the map maker says to place the hero in the top left corner!

Thanks for any help!!!

Return to “Heroes I-IV”