Heroes of Might and Magic II Mod

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 13 Oct 2009, 08:02

Undead Orc, you should have made the Cavaliers at at least at 75 HP or greater and Paladins at 45 HP or lower. It does not make any sence for a Paladin to be stronger than a Cavalier - it's one of the worst pissing off things in Heroes 2 game for me, that's why i don't play it.

In my own H3 mod i made Genies totally equal to Efreeti, but weakened Nagas to Medusa's level. You should have made the game more realistic, not even more messed up..

Btw, when i had Heroes 2, bone dragons had 275 HP, not 150 - and that was from original game. So like WTF. And reducing from 150 HP to 140 HP is like trying to say something, but saying absolutely nothing.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 13 Oct 2009, 09:15

Artas1984 wrote:you should have made the Cavaliers at at least at 75 HP or greater and Paladins at 45 HP or lower.
Why would a level 5 unit be that much greater than a level 6 unit?
It does not make any sence for a Paladin to be stronger than a Cavalier
It makes sense in that paladins are the highest ranking knight creature. They are holy warriors ultimately opposed to the undead. In what way does it not make sense?
In my own H3 mod i made Genies totally equal to Efreeti, but weakened Nagas to Medusa's level. You should have made the game more realistic, not even more messed up..
:| I'd like a dictionary definition of your version of "realistic".
Btw, when i had Heroes 2, bone dragons had 275 HP, not 150 - and that was from original game.
I don't recall that at all. Sure you're not confusing it with the HoMM IV bone dragon?
is like trying to say something, but saying absolutely nothing.
Your above post rather leaves such an aftertaste.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 13 Oct 2009, 14:24

FWIW, Artas, we've spent 14 pages discussing how UndeadHalfOrc made his changes. If you dislike them so much you're free to experiment on your own.

UndeadHalfOrc, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the Bone Dragon's hit point reduction was to keep them in line with Black Dragons and Titans. They had their hit points reduced to 280, so reducing Bone Dragons' HP to 140 makes sense to me.

Slightly OT, does anyone know if the growth field is signed? If you set it to FF, does it mean -1 or 255?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 13 Oct 2009, 19:02

I was wondering if you would like to upload or send me your latest, most up to date version of this Mod to post on the HoMM2 Map Archives. It should be in a separate folder from the maps on the group site so it would be easier to find. Or you could send it to me and I could upload it. And credit will go where credit is due, UHO. :)

Jack Necron
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jack Necron » 19 Oct 2009, 19:45

I will have to check that mod out when I get the time. :)

BelgarathMTH
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BelgarathMTH » 01 Nov 2009, 22:31

Norton lists the site for downloading this mod as a virus threat, and blocks it. Norton says that the site for downloading this mod WILL put a virus onto your computer, something about "Ha, beerdrinker" something or such.

I was going to go back to the site to get a more exact reading of Norton's warning, but now the site is blocking my attempts to access it. It says "site not available" or some such.

Do NOT attempt to download this mod.

What a shame that following our love of HOMM online introduces security threats! Online crime is a scourge of which we must all maintain constant vigilance!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Nov 2009, 22:36

Well, UHO site went infected. That happens - internet is hard place to live. :D

I don't have it. So, generally, just sit&wait. Nothing more to do, I'm afraid. :P
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

BelgarathMTH
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BelgarathMTH » 01 Nov 2009, 23:33

After some time, Norton let me see its findings again. This is what it got:

Joke.ClickMe
Location:pages.infinit.net/burpp/Beers.ex.......................

I hope this helps somebody. Once again, do NOT download this mod from this site!

EDIT: I reviewed my post and it made a hotlink to the virus, damnit! So I just erased the "http://" and the "e" at the end of "exe"

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 06 Dec 2009, 07:35

I was fortunate enough to save UHOs' HoMM II Mod and I put it up on the HoMM 2 Archives.

gandam
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gandam » 29 May 2010, 21:48

My 2 cents,

from my PoV, Id say H2 is an excellent game, even by today's standards. It has a large array of monster, artifacts, spells and map objects that adds to its replayability and force you to incorporate different approaches to different scenarios in your strategies. There are, though, a few minor things I'd love to see, if there were a remake.

-=EDITOR=-

The most important part for me. :P

Okay, straight to the point, h2 editor is crap and you know it. Its full of glitches, sometimes it crashes for no apparent reason, you can't place objects as you please, changing terrain needlessly erases everything on top of it, the sprites layer is a total mess, short of options, endless bureaucracy! Theres so much problems I could write a book about it.
H2 begs for an improved editor that grants the player a better control of map, like the ability to freely manipulate different layers, ability to copy/paste a selection, mirroring, statistics, etc.
Additional functionalities such as the ones in H3 of defining which spells a guild teaches, flagging mines would also be nice.

-=MODIFYING GAMEPLAY=-

Many ppl have argued that the game needs balance, some units are too weak whereas others are too strong, spells are powerful. I'm not gonna say that h2 is a perfectly balanced even game, but tackling with monster stats, spells could really ruin this game, specially for ppl who have already integrated all this information into their strategies. Personally, I find the discrepancies between classes unfair to be debatable, as I make use of all classes often and I find them all good in their own ways, with their strengths and weaknesses. Of course warlock pwns, powerful spells + dragons makes them truly invincible, but it's important to note that dragons are extremely hard to get, and it's not unusual for me to beat a medium or even large sized maps using warlock without ever getting to see green dragons, let alone black ones. There's only one thing that bugs me off, and it's Knight's defense. For some occult reason, Knight's atk&def doesnt seem to add much, as most of the time, I find myself wasting more than 3 quarters of my Knight army to capture an enemy castle, even when its poorly guarded. The Garrison towers massacre rangers in no time. This never happens with Barbarian, then again they have trolls.

The only unit I'm all for change would be ghosts, because... they're really ridiculously overpowered. High HP, high atk, high def and good spd makes them the best of the best, Id trade black dragons for ghosts anytime. Their strength is such that 99.9% of the time it's unfair to give players ghosts, making the unit kind of redundant in the game. It would be nice to get some ghosts without tipping the balance of the game. In King's Bounty, ghosts are very well balanced. If you have few, they are useless, and if you have too many you run the risk of losing control of your stack and (inevitably) dying becuz no one messes with ghosts! :P
Moreover, dead ghosts don't come back like vampyres, and that can plummet your score. There is also the peasant week which turn all ghosts to peasants (not sure this exists in h2) which further makes them less desirable, so you have a nice table of pros and cons. This doesn't exist in h2 however. Something similar to KB's ghosts would be nice. Toning down their HP and def could also help balance things out a bit.

-=ADDITIONS=-

What H2 could really use are some new artifacts (yeah, ripped off straight from h3!!!) and new skills (rip off welcome). I won't add spells in the list, because I think the number of spells is fair enough, adding 1 or 2 new spells could be nice, but not really necessary.

Thats all.
I don't really know why I wrote all this, just bored I guess. :P
Thanks for reading. ;)

tyler_robert
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tyler_robert » 17 Jun 2010, 00:59

Well, I was just wondering if you've found a possible way of completely adding new creatures.
If so, I've got still sprites of some creatures I'd be happy to animate

gamble36
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gamble36 » 02 Jul 2010, 23:01

Did a working Heroes II mod ever make public?

Is there a guide somewhere that can help me successfully modify some in-game content to make Heroes II enjoyable again?

I just want to change a few minor creature statistics and building cost values. Add some mana cost onto DD and a few other misc things.

Anyone care to help me accomplish this?

dudejo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dudejo » 18 Jul 2010, 02:17

i just found something related to Secondary Skills!

the values start at F2DD0 in the executable.

although i haven't been able to match up the value order to their equivalent in the manual, i tweaked what appeared to be the Necromancer's chance to learn Leadership (which is zero).

normally, the Necromancer can't learn it ever but after changing the value at F2DF9, he could learn it! i had set it to 5 to increase my chances and it worked!

i took a screenshot. i swear i'm not making this up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 18 Jul 2010, 06:24

gamble36 wrote:Did a working Heroes II mod ever make public?
http://pages.infinit.net/plague/H2mod.zip

For Price of Loyalty, needs CD-rom.

http://pages.infinit.net/plague/h2_modnocd.zip

For Price of Loyalty, doesn't need CD-rom (but campaigns won't work)

I still wanna know how to change the spell power multiplier of Fireball, Cold Ring, and Fireblast (from 10, 10, 10, to 13, 13, 15 respectively)
Last edited by UndeadHalfOrc on 18 Aug 2010, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

dudejo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dudejo » 18 Jul 2010, 11:36

here's the detailed list for secondary skills

the data starts at F2DD0 and ends at F2E23

byte 01 to 06 : Knight, Barbarian, Sorceress, Warlock, Wizard, Necromander

F2DD0 - Pathfinding
F2DD6 - Archery
F2DDC - Logistics
F2DE2 - Scouting
F2DE8 - Diplomacy
F2DEE - Navigation
F2DF4 - Leadership
F2DFA - Wisdom
F2E00 - Mysticism
F2E06 - Luck
F2E0C - Ballistics
F2E12 - Eagle Eye
F2E18 - Necromancy
F2E1E - Estates

one oddity i've noticed is that the Necromancer has a chance of 7 instead of the manual's indicated 5 to learn Necromancy. i thought at first there was a special exception but luckily, there wasn't.

dudejo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dudejo » 18 Jul 2010, 12:01

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:I still wanna know how to change the spell power multiplier of Fireball, Cold Ring, and Fireblast (from 10, 10, 10, to 13, 13, 15 respectively)
they all multiply by 10, right?

you think they may be using a common calculation somewhere in the code?

if bad goes to worse we can always adjust the chances of learning spell power for the heroes.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 19 Jul 2010, 00:32

Nice work dudejo! Welcome to the Round Table.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

dudejo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dudejo » 23 Jul 2010, 02:46

just for kicks, is anyone still searching for data every now and then?

dudejo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dudejo » 24 Jul 2010, 22:02

i found something again.

it's sadly not a particularly major discovery but it could still be interesting.

when you lower defense and it falls to negative values, the byte wraps around from 00 to FF and the lower you go, the bigger the negative value.

for example, changing a unit's base defense to FE in the hex editor would translate to -2 in the game.

an obvious application example could be to curb the Peasant's endurance advantage from having 2 HP.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 25 Jul 2010, 02:12

I think it would be useful to know which fields are signed (FF = -1) and unsigned (FF = 255). Odd things can happen if you set a negative value to something when the game isn't prepared to deal with it. For example, a spell that does negative damage would add creatures to a stack. OTOH, sometimes negative values could be useful. Can we set pre-Well Dragon growth to -1? What happens when you do that?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”