Mummy Evolution

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Pick your favorite undead creature wrapped in bandages:

H2 Mummy
11%
H2 Royal Mummy
35%
H3 Mummy
18%
H4 Mummy
21%
H5 Mummy
15%

Total votes: 92

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Jan 2007, 18:11

Wildbear wrote:You'll find them in Halloween costume shops.
Truly authentic.

There's no mention of any culture that mummified it's dead either.

And you missunderstand what i meant by that comment. You also seem to take the toilet-paper thing too literaly.

Also:

Versus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedjet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deshret http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pschent

And: Image

It's about as egyptian as Freyda's armour is european.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 14 Jan 2007, 19:04

I never said they're authentic, I said they're stereotypes.

And about those crowns, the first one is closer to the ones you'll find here (cap crown and blue crown):
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/crowns2.htm
Shapes may slightly vary in time, their history ran for millenaries, so obviously the stereotype won't be an exact copy of all of them. The cobra being the most obvious part of it.
I agree it's a mix of several crown types, but it does not refer to anything else than Egyptian stuff.

Now about the lack of references to cultures mummifying their deads, I agree it's missing, but mummification isn't a culture, and there are necromancers in the Heroes universe, so as long as nothing is told, it can be assumed that necromancers and mummies are related. The necromancers would be enough to explain why there are mummies, but not why they're disguised in Egyptian, so mummies in a neutral style can fit without any other background when mummies disguised in Egyptian can't.
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Jan 2007, 20:07

but mummification isn't a culture
Is as much part of culture as clothes are.

And white linen rags are just as egyptian as those clothes.

And there are alot of things in the games that could use explination, no reason to single out the mummies imo.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 14 Jan 2007, 22:27

Clothes here are a visual expression of that culture.

White linen strips may be related to the Egyptian culture, but here nothing says they're made of linen, and since they're more rags than strips they do not fit to the Egyptian description on that point either.

Like it or not, but bandages you'll see in hospitals aren't expressions of the ancient Egyptian culture.
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Jan 2007, 22:31

Wildbear wrote: Like it or not, but bandages you'll see in hospitals aren't expressions of the ancient Egyptian culture.
Remind me never to refer to stuff in a funny way when arguing with you again.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jan 2007, 22:27

Bang, indian serpent staff means i win:

I love being a genius.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 16 Jan 2007, 23:17

It's meant to be a real cobra, not a staff.
At the bottom of this pic, you'll see that same Indian demon, with his scimitar in one hand and the cobra rolled around his arm.

So, no Indian serpent staff means you lost?
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jan 2007, 23:59

Wildbear wrote:It's meant to be a real cobra, not a staff.
So's the egyptian cobra staff... ever heard of Moses?! Cobralicious... and you know that's a cobra bracelet. :tongue:

The staff is symbolic, as is the cobra picture.... i bet you that in rituals depicting the gods the indians would use jewelery like that.
On the Pschent is a cobra ready to strike, symbolising Wadjet (as an Upper Egypt god) and a vulture, Nekhbet, for Lower Egypt.
As patron and protectress, she was often shown coiled upon the head of Ra, the chief deity, in order to act as his protection, an image of her which became the Uraeus symbol.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 17 Jan 2007, 02:13

It may be symbolic, but what you've shown is still a statue of a cobra, and not a statue of a cobra-shaped staff.

And the fact that cobras could appear in other jewelries wouldn't make it less stereotypic here.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 17 Jan 2007, 22:02

You should define the word: "stereotype".
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Jan 2007, 22:13

Or we should just realise that stereotypical and authentic are 2 different things. :devil: Or that a stereotypical mummy is egyptian by default.

And btw, i can't seem to find any egyptian cobra staffs...

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 17 Jan 2007, 23:05

You wrote it yourself, stereotypical and authentic are two different things. You're the one looking for authenticity, when I'm only telling the stereotype annoys me. Therefore there is no point looking for a real cobra staff because the one shown here is a staff made to look Egyptian, not to be Egyptian. Common Egyptian staffs have nothing to do with cobras, but they aren't visually interesting, and therefore nobody knows about them among the masses. The result is that the authentic staffs aren't stereotypical, and for people to recognize the Egyptian theme, they have to use something commonly related to ancient Egypt, and here's the cobra. So using a cobra staff along with the crown is a way to evoke the ancient Egyptian stereotype disregarding authenticity.

And of course stereotypical mummies are Egyptian mummies, that's why I prefer H4 mummies which are further from that stereotype than the other ones.
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Jan 2007, 23:24

Wildbear wrote: And of course stereotypical mummies are Egyptian mummies, that's why I prefer H4 mummies which are further from that stereotype than the other ones.
You said they're more neutral, not less stereotypical... but the H4 mummies look closest to the authentic egyptian mummies...

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 18 Jan 2007, 00:39

Pointless nitpicking, more neutral from a cultural stereotype standpoint and less stereotypical means the same.

Now about those pics, first they aren't stereotypes of Egyptian mummies, second the have little to nothing to do with the H4 mummy, and third I said that what made me dislike H3 and H5 mummies was the Egyptian stereotypical stuff on them.
Even though I prefer less stereotypical mummies from a mummification standpoint, your point is irrelevant from the Egyptian culture stereotype standpoint. And as I wrote before, if rags are the only way to distinguish mummies from zombies, I have no problem with them.

There are two parts here, the Egyptian stereotype, and what you call the "toilet-paper mummy". The Egyptian stereotype makes me dislike the H3 and H5 mummies (H2 mummy would be included if dwellings were to be taken into account), and the lesser "toilet-paper mummy" stereotype makes me prefer the H4 mummy.
Image Spiritu Insanum

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 18 Jan 2007, 00:46

Voted: H2 Royal Mummy

It looks like it's been in the tomb for awhile and I love the way the bandages get unwrapped when they die. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 12 Jul 2007, 18:05

Mummy from Heroes 3, due its pharaonical aura. Heroes 2 units are cool because they look like mummies. Heroes 4 was a bit too fantasy - like having a cartoon disguised as mummy.

Heroes 5 mummy has a nice looking, but it has also that cartoonish crap about them.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jul 2007, 21:58

Wildbear wrote: Pointless nitpicking, more neutral from a cultural stereotype standpoint and less stereotypical means the same.
How did i forget to respond to this? Well here it goes:
Wildbear wrote: They aren't "just close enough", they aren't culturally neutral, they are direct references to the ancient Egyptian culture.

but not why they're disguised in Egyptian, so mummies in a neutral style can fit without any other background
Weird, no mention of neutral from a cultural stereotype, just culturally neutral, which implies authenticity.

Never say i'm not petty....

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 12 Jul 2007, 22:46

ThunderTitan wrote: Never say i'm not petty....
You're not petty. :tongue:
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jul 2007, 22:48

Bastard.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 26 Jul 2007, 20:33

I'm all for the H2 Royal Mummy for all the reasons previously stated.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”