Mummy Evolution

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Pick your favorite undead creature wrapped in bandages:

H2 Mummy
11%
H2 Royal Mummy
35%
H3 Mummy
18%
H4 Mummy
21%
H5 Mummy
15%

Total votes: 92

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Jan 2007, 23:14

Anyway, yoilet paper mummy = egyptian mummy.

And maybe when they died it was a desert, but Ashan's axis moved since then, so now it's all snowy.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 09 Jan 2007, 09:38

Wildbear wrote:I don't "think" it looks egyptian, it was made to look egyptian, that's a huge difference.
It looks vaguely egyptian. Still, there's nothing that says "Looks egyptian=lives in desert". Almost all creatures from all heroes games looks like they come from some specific earth culture.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 09 Jan 2007, 17:08

It isn't vague at all, they're pure Egyptian stereotypes. That's the kind of stuff you'll find in an Halloween costume shop with Egyptian written on it, and Egyptian only.

And environments have a huge influence on cultures, especially animals represented and clothes. The cobra seen on the H3 mummy is clearly the one from the same kind of objects from ancient Egypt, and the clothes of the H5 mummy are designed for warm and dry environments.
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jan 2007, 23:26

Wildbear wrote:and the clothes of the H5 mummy are designed for warm and dry environments.
Something the dead shouldn't care about. But anyway the H5 mummy only has a snowy background coz they both came with the XP.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Jan 2007, 23:42

Wildbear wrote: And environments have a huge influence on cultures, especially animals represented and clothes. The cobra seen on the H3 mummy is clearly the one from the same kind of objects from ancient Egypt, and the clothes of the H5 mummy are designed for warm and dry environments.
The enviroment influences the material used and the amount of clothing,but not its shape,nor colur.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 10 Jan 2007, 00:32

ThunderTitan wrote: Something the dead shouldn't care about. But anyway the H5 mummy only has a snowy background coz they both came with the XP.
It doesn't make it look better.
DaemianLucifer wrote: The enviroment influences the material used and the amount of clothing,but not its shape,nor colur.
I didn't write anything about colors, and amount of clothing and cloth shape are closely related. Also, such shapes would be inadequate in a windy or rainy environment.
Image Spiritu Insanum

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Jan 2007, 01:18

Wildbear wrote: I didn't write anything about colors, and amount of clothing and cloth shape are closely related. Also, such shapes would be inadequate in a windy or rainy environment.
The garb is ceremonial.I doubt that egiptian peasants wore those hats.But nobles(priests and such) did.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jan 2007, 15:42

Wildbear wrote: It doesn't make it look better.
It will once you're dead. :gun: :hanged:

But DL, we all know that every egyptian ever wore gold on the few things he had on.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 10 Jan 2007, 16:02

DaemianLucifer wrote: The garb is ceremonial.I doubt that egiptian peasants wore those hats.But nobles(priests and such) did.
Well, that's another good reason to remove such objects and have mummies visually neutral on that aspect.
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jan 2007, 16:12

Wildbear wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote: The garb is ceremonial.I doubt that egiptian peasants wore those hats.But nobles(priests and such) did.
Well, that's another good reason to remove such objects and have mummies visually neutral on that aspect.
They weren't mummifing peasant either.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 10 Jan 2007, 17:42

Only people who could afford it were being mummified in ancient Egypt, but that doesn't mean peasants in M&M worlds never were. Actually it would be a bit more original that way.
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jan 2007, 20:25

I'm pretty sure it was more of a religious thing.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 10 Jan 2007, 21:35

Here's a link you may want to read about Egyptian mummies:
http://www.si.edu/resource/faq/nmnh/mummies.htm

Now, to sum it up, of course mummification in ancient Egypt was religious, but religion back then wasn't about salvation for the poor and charity, and the long process of mummification required time, skills, expensive products and a good enough tomb. But that applies for that case only, so mummies in Heroes should be different, and to begin with, they shouldn't look like Egyptian stereotypes, which was my point.
Image Spiritu Insanum

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 12 Jan 2007, 13:39

ho ho ho.

voted h5.

i dont get why h2 was so popular. its too fat imho. if h5 had made something like this in 3d, i would have been mad at them. i dont remember the death animation anymore tho.

h3 looked like skinny gray creature. bandages werent visible.

h4 looks nice, would get my second place.

h5 looks creepy and royal on the same time. the 2 qualities a mummy should have. the best.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 12 Jan 2007, 18:42

You returned Vilhu :)
I was afraid that Kalah baned you too.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jan 2007, 20:20

Wildbear wrote:Here's a link you may want to read about Egyptian mummies:
http://www.si.edu/resource/faq/nmnh/mummies.htm
For religious reasons, some animals were also mummified. The sacred bulls from the early dynasties had their own cemetery at Sakkara. Baboons, cats, birds, and crocodiles, which also had great religious significance, were sometimes mummified, especially in the later dynasties.
I doubt the animals had that kinda money. While you could probably buy yourself a spot (ah, the unchaging human nature ) i doubt that money is what it was all about.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 12 Jan 2007, 22:09

ThunderTitan wrote: I doubt the animals had that kinda money. While you could probably buy yourself a spot (ah, the unchaging human nature ) i doubt that money is what it was all about.
I see that you missed the distinction between the reasons for mummifying a human and mummifying an animal. It's written at the very beginning of the part about animals: "For religious reasons", so you should have deduced that if animals are mummified "for religious reasons", the reasons for mummifying humans are at least slightly different.

And it doesn't mean that all animals were mummified either. Even nowadays some people bury their pets in cemeteries, it doesn't mean those animals are paying their tomb, and doesn't mean it's free.
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jan 2007, 22:55

Wildbear wrote:"For religious reasons", so you should have deduced that if animals are mummified "for religious reasons", the reasons for mummifying humans are at least slightly different.
I didn't say someone didn't pay for the mummification, the stuff they used did cost money, but it was primarily a religious thing. You might as well say we bury our dead only for the money.

And the fact that the mummies in heroes are wrapped in bandaid is enough to make them egyptian, at least from a pop culture POV.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 12 Jan 2007, 23:29

ThunderTitan wrote: I didn't say someone didn't pay for the mummification, the stuff they used did cost money, but it was primarily a religious thing. You might as well say we bury our dead only for the money.

And the fact that the mummies in heroes are wrapped in bandaid is enough to make them egyptian, at least from a pop culture POV.
I never wrote money was the only reason for mummifying people, but that only people who could afford it were being mummified, that never meant it wasn't partially religious.

And talking about pop culture, most people don't even know some mummies aren't Egyptian anyway, but that's not a reason to overdo it in the Egyptian stereotypical style without any valid cultural or historical reason in the game. Also, bandages are much more neutral from a cultural standpoint than the other objects seen on H3 and H5 mummies.
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jan 2007, 23:58

Wildbear wrote:Also, bandages are much more neutral from a cultural standpoint than the other objects seen on H3 and H5 mummies.
From what i remember other mummies weren't really made with the toilet-paper, they used other things.

As for ingame justification, that could be easily explained either by a cult that makes mummies or an ancient civilization. You could also say that those are magical, and what make a mummy. What does the descriptin of the Mummy say anyway?

Return to “Heroes I-IV”