Help for distorted pictures?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
carulmare
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Help for distorted pictures?

Unread postby carulmare » 03 Jan 2007, 23:39

Hi, I hope I can ask a somewhat technical question?

I have recently bought a plug-and-play monitor (Benq LCD 19') and I thought it would really enhance the gaming experience of Heroes IV, but so far it has been a disappointment. The picture is distorted, widened. Only by choosing the game resolution 800x600 and playing the game in a window can I get the picture right. But then it is very small and I can't move around in the map by using the mouse. Anyone who recognizes this problem - or even better, know what I'm supposed to do about it? Are there any solutions? I bought the monitor today, so I could probably go and switch it to another model... Yes, i forgot to mention that - this is a widescreen monitor, best fitted to the resolution 1024 X 768 (outside the game).

Thank you for any help,
Carul

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 04 Jan 2007, 00:01

You need to activate the function 1:1 if monitor possessed it. If not, well, here is a problem.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 04 Jan 2007, 04:28

Welcome to the forums, carulmare! ;)

Hmm...don't know. Sorry about that (I have a 4:3 monitor and I've never encountered any such graphical issues).
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

eekstah
Scout
Scout

Unread postby eekstah » 04 Jan 2007, 21:21

Yeah, I have the same problem on my Dell laptop with widescreen. The widescreen does really not like 4:3 settings - the image doesn't just get distorted, but blurry as well.

It would've been really nice if Equilibris team managed to make Heroes support higher resolution and stretch to fit non-4:3 monitors. The bar to the right with resources, minimap and heroes- and towns list should stay the same size in pixles, and the main map should fill the rest.

I think I actually allways have felt that the game is somewhat "claustrofobic". You can actually not move an army across the map more than 10 arrows straight from left to right without scrolling.

Imagine how sweet it would be playing HoMM4 in 1680x1050 resolution with expanded, wide "main gaming area*" :-D B-)

*)What is the actual name for that?

whipsilk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby whipsilk » 18 Feb 2007, 01:59

Check your graphics card -- some allow you to select "fixed aspect ratio scaling" (or something similar -- that's what my GeForce INVIDIA calls it). If you don't have that option in your graphics card configuration, then I'm afraid you're probably out of luck.

I had a great widescreen display on my last computer, a Dell Inspiron with a high resolution ATI card, but unfortunately it didn't offer that option (that I could tell, anyway), so I got used to seeing HOMM 3 stretched out. Now it looks a little squashed, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. I need the accurate scaling for Galactic Civilizations -- without it all the planets look oval and simply wrong.

Good luck!

eekstah
Scout
Scout

Unread postby eekstah » 19 Feb 2007, 04:12

whipsilk wrote:I had a great widescreen display on my last computer, a Dell Inspiron with a high resolution ATI card, but unfortunately it didn't offer that option (that I could tell, anyway)
My Inspiron has an ATI as well, and I just found this option (quite easily too, actually)! Finally I can play Homm4 properly!

It would still be nice if the game just adapted to the desktop resolution thought.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”