Heroes III Complete - Running on Windows XP

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
zombie_1313
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes III Complete - Running on Windows XP

Unread postby zombie_1313 » 09 Jan 2006, 23:42

Has anyone else had trouble running Heroes III Complete on Windows XP? It worked fine on my old cpu with Windows ME but the install disc won't autoplay or allow me to open setup on my new cpu. My sister has the exact same problem with her computer too, so I know its not just the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 10 Jan 2006, 03:03

Works perfectly for me. You can try Right-Clicking > Properties and setting the executable to compatibility mode with a previous windows version. That sometimes works, otherwise you should ask in www.computing.net , The guys there always answer in minutes and will solve most technical problems like this one.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 10 Jan 2006, 08:31

Installation worked fine for me too. Are you sure that you used the correct disk (complete is on 2 disks)? Is the disk looking OK, and has no fatty fingerprints or scratches that could cause the problem?

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 10 Jan 2006, 13:57

I realize another post like this won't help you, but:

It works perfectly for me.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Jan 2006, 14:07

No problems encountered.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Firewalls

Unread postby gravyluvr » 10 Jan 2006, 14:52

Some firewalls have caused issues with it

Try searching on Google Groups

Link

Sometimes if you turn off some items in your startup too...

Start --> Run --> MSCONFIG

Check Services and Startup tabs for anything odd. If you can't find anything that really sticks out - try a selective startup and start knocking stuff out. Start by turning off all startup - then services (turn startup back on). Then just start narrowing it down. With services you can turn off all non Microsoft or vv and with Startup you can just go top/bottom.

Mod note: Changed link so that it won't upset the layout. GC
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

lpatenaude
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Heroes III Complete - Running on Windows XP

Unread postby lpatenaude » 10 Jan 2006, 17:32

zombie_1313 wrote:Has anyone else had trouble running Heroes III Complete on Windows XP? It worked fine on my old cpu with Windows ME but the install disc won't autoplay or allow me to open setup on my new cpu. My sister has the exact same problem with her computer too, so I know its not just the computer. Any help would be appreciated.
Which version of XP did you get onto your totally new PC?

If you've got the Pre-Installed version of XP Media Center Edition 2005, you might very well encounter this disgusting protection function that Microsoft implanted: Do not let any Installer older than 2002 to activate or autorun.

That happened to me and my mother in the countryside, quite often already and, we're not even onto the Media Center Editions either.

If you're onto on of those 64bit systems, you might have to force your O.S. to revert to 32bit processing in order to play this 16bit programming-like game made to run onto 32bit as well.

If so, go onto the Microsoft.com web-site, windows platforms, Media Center PC(or the one that you really have at this moment) then search for the walkthrough called: How to force Windows XP to Run Older Applications(prior to 2001). Use the numbered link to bring you the document in question of this quite common situation.

Good Luck!!

Note: Make sure to reserve yourself with lots of time on your hands, its gotta take plenty of time to test run and redo etc..
:creative:
Earth is a large world.
So does our egos and opinions onto everything.

Taddeusz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

same problem

Unread postby Taddeusz » 23 Jan 2006, 23:05

I can not install heroes 3, heroes complete, or heroes 4 on my best system.

Windows XP Pro (no SP)
3.0 gig processor with HT (Pentium4)
256 Meg NVidia 5200 8xAGP card
1.5 gig of ram

Didn't work after rebuild either

Strange thing, it works on my wife's computer.
Same OS, slower vid card and ram, pentium 3 processor

It always crashes during install when it checks requirements

If I explore the cd, and go right to the system checker part, it crashes too.

I have pulled ram, used a older vid card - is my processor too fast or something? lol same prob with all 3 games

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Jan 2006, 23:16

No it's not the processor... I have the same engine and it works for me.

.. this was a hard one.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”