H4: Magic Dampener

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

H4: Magic Dampener

Unread postby Metathron » 24 Dec 2006, 22:38

The description of this barbarian building is, roughly, "Each Magic Dampener gives your heroes and creatures a 10% magic resistance. The Dampeners act separately, not cumulatively."

Isn't this a contradiction in terms? Or just an error/oversight? Does each dampener indeed give you 10% or do you get that much no matter how many you visit?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: H4: Magic Dampener

Unread postby HodgePodge » 25 Dec 2006, 00:31

Metathron wrote: … Isn't this a contradiction in terms? …
It does sound contradictory but from how I understand the Magic Dampeners is that each one only gives 10% Magic Resistance in the Castle where it is built. I don't think Magic Dampeners give Resistance to Heroes out in the field. I could be wrong though. Does anyone know for certain?
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Dec 2006, 09:45

Each magic damperner gives 10% chance to resist a spell, independent of each other. That means, that with one (and not other skills/artifacts), you have 10% to resist. With two, you get 1-0.9^2=0.19 i.e. 19% to resist and so on.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Dec 2006, 13:45

At first I thought that HodgePodge's assumption was correct, that each dampener affected only the heroes/creatures who were present inside the castle during a siege. However, I started a new game with a barbarian and built the dampener at once. The creatures, even upon leaving the castle, got 10% MR, whereas the hero, who started out with basic MR (30%), emerged with 37% MR (??!). 8|

GC, it seems to me there is the same kind of contradiction in your assessment as in the original description. How did you come up with your calculations?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Dec 2006, 20:17

That's correct as well. You get 1-(0.9)^N*(1-MR)(1-AR) resistance, where N is the number of Dampers, MR is the resistance from the skill and AR is the resistance from any artifacts.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Dec 2006, 21:02

Is that equation found in the manual? I never got a printed manual with my HoMM IV, only an electronic one. So bottom line is that each dampener does give you some MR, but it's not nearly as simple as 10%+10%. ;|

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Dec 2006, 21:28

I've no idea were one might find that; I've learnt it from this forum.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Re: H4: Magic Dampener

Unread postby Dalai » 26 Dec 2006, 09:23

Metathron wrote:Does each dampener indeed give you 10% or do you get that much no matter how many you visit?
With each dampener you own (not visit!) the chance of curse spell getting to your hero or stack of creatures gets 10% lower, and it does not depend upon other factors.

Example 1.

You have NO MR. Chance to curse you - 100%.
You build Dampener. Your chance to be cursed is 100% {previous figure} * (100%-10%) {1 Dampener} = 90%. Obvious so far.

You build second Dampener. Your chance to be cursed is 90% {previous figure} * (100%-10%) {1 Dampener} = 81%.

Example 2
You have a hero with basic MR. His chance to be cursed is 70%. With one Dampener it will be 70*(100%-10%)=63%.

In other words, each Magic Dampener lowers your Current Magic Vulnerability (which is 100%-MR) by 10%.

If you can think of a good description for Magic Dampener - we can put it into next Equilibris release.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 26 Dec 2006, 16:30

Metathron wrote:Is that equation found in the manual?
No, this formula comes from using Basic Statistics skill :-))

Return to “Heroes I-IV”