I do not like Heroes V, i do not like 3D games, but Heroes 4

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 01 Mar 2007, 20:52

I played Dark Omen back in the old days, but I think I've misplaced the game disc. It was a load of fun as far as I can remember.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Mar 2007, 21:12

Problem is that it doesn't like the compatibility mode so it must be run either under pure Win98 or in some virtualizer.

All enemy units were scripted but hordes on them and pure fun - never tried multiplayer though, played it manytimes back and forth.

And these necromancers, hmmm ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

kitcat0
Scout
Scout

Unread postby kitcat0 » 03 Mar 2007, 20:25

3D view is the biggest problem about H V for me. I dont like it at all.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Mar 2007, 20:43

kitcat0 wrote:3D view is the biggest problem about H V for me. I don't like it at all.
Few games managed to pull that one off in a good way, yet all of them still try. What they need is someone that actually plays the gamse to program it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Century
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Century » 03 Mar 2007, 21:28

I really enjoyed the new look. I thought it added a new element to HoMM. Like it or not, all aspects of a game have to and will progress in one way or another (and that progression can be backwards, I suppose!) I felt a lot closer to the map than previously, and yes it did cause problems like missing stuff, but it was still fun.

I think a lot of the [gameplay] problems with it can be dealt with by fiddling around in the config, somehow, particularly to obtain a more "authentic" look. And while I'm saying I like it, I'm not necessarily saying I prefer it to the others. But that was one of the aspects about HoMM5 I found more favourable.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 03 Mar 2007, 21:47

I REALLY don't see a problem with camera. Never had problems with it.

When I needed to rotate, I rotated and later hit Home. But I don't rotate much because I put camera in overview as much as posible so that it looks like older games.

I guess I don't hate game enough to hate the camera.
Last edited by Anonymous on 04 Mar 2007, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 03 Mar 2007, 22:20

I had substantial problems with the camera in the underground where rotating it would almost always mean getting completely disoriented.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Re: I do not like Heroes V, i do not like 3D games, but Hero

Unread postby Sir Alock » 06 Mar 2007, 14:14

WhiteAvatar wrote:Hello, I heard about Heroes V, but it is a 3D game. I do not like 3D games a lot. When you play strategic RPG games, a good view on the map is essential in gaming, and the 3D experience just takes away a load of the strategic feeling of battling against opponents.

what is your oppinion about that ?

PS: Okay, some players prefer Heroes III above Heroes IV, ... I have Heroes IV complete UK edition. With net-play with Gamespy.
I use to feel the same way about 3D games. I never liked the way they played, kind made me feel dizzy to some extent. Now with so many games that are 3D, I have made the conversion from 2D graphics.

I think Nival did an excellent job on HoMMV in terms for the 3D layout. I still play a little HoMM 3 & 4, but IMHO they simply don't looks as nice, although HoMM4 looks pretty decent @ 1280x0124 on my 19" LCD monitor.

Just my 2 cents worth.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 08 Mar 2007, 14:32

On a side note, I just wanted to add that Heroes IV is not a "real 3D" game. The graphics are all pre-rendered 3D, so you don't necessarily need a "good" 3D graphics card to play it.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Beelzebubba
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Beelzebubba » 08 Mar 2007, 20:23

Heroes IV is still the most beautiful game in the series. The landscapes, the terrain objects, the castles, the creatures...it doesn't look at all dated despite being in its fifth year. Heroes V doesn't look bad; I just prefer the look and feel of IV (esp. at maximum resolution). I never tire of exploring IV's maps, and map design, though time-consuming, is extremely rewarding.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 08 Mar 2007, 21:16

I agree completely, Beelzebubba. I've only recently decided to try out the maximum resolution in HoMM IV and it looks just gorgeous!
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”