I do not like Heroes V, i do not like 3D games, but Heroes 4

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
WhiteAvatar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

I do not like Heroes V, i do not like 3D games, but Heroes 4

Unread postby WhiteAvatar » 13 Dec 2006, 14:29

Hello, I heard about Heroes V, but it is a 3D game. I do not like 3D games a lot. When you play strategic RPG games, a good view on the map is essential in gaming, and the 3D experience just takes away a load of the strategic feeling of battling against opponents.

what is your oppinion about that ?

PS: Okay, some players prefer Heroes III above Heroes IV, ... I have Heroes IV complete UK edition. With net-play with Gamespy.

wallace
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wallace » 17 Dec 2006, 19:42

I agree completly. I do not like this new 3D strategy games. :disagree:

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 17 Dec 2006, 20:02

I haven't found the 3D view to be that bad, to be honest. The only real problem is clicking on things in the underground.

For me it has nothing to do with strategic feeling.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 17 Dec 2006, 20:54

The new 3D view is the least of my concerns in H5. Actually, I quite like it. Nival did a good job on this one.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 18 Dec 2006, 06:01

I agree that 3d is the least of HoMM5's problems. Not that it doesn't present it's own problems, but it is not a major concern. In fact eventually I would like Virtual HoMM :). Now that would be amazing.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Dec 2006, 08:11

Mytical wrote:I agree that 3d is the least of HoMM5's problems. Not that it doesn't present it's own problems, but it is not a major concern. In fact eventually I would like Virtual HoMM :). Now that would be amazing.
Depends on implementation.It could very well be crap.

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 18 Dec 2006, 13:18

TheUndeadKing wrote:The new 3D view is the least of my concerns in H5. Actually, I quite like it. Nival did a good job on this one.
agree...it did took some time to get used to it,but after that everything was ok.i even find myself trying to rotate view in h4 to see where is that hidden stack...so i would say its good,but on the other hand it would be last thing on priority list if i was asked to develop a heroes game and it is obvious nival and ubi consider it first thing to do.
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 18 Dec 2006, 14:27

Although I have learned to use the camera, I think turning into 3D was one of the biggest mistakes for H5. Even if leave beside the fact that it is the reason of high system requirements and lags.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 Dec 2006, 14:38

The Heroes games are simple enough that the moving camera, and the lack of a good overview, is not too much of a problem. But I agree with Pitsu that the main drawback is the loss in performance.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 18 Dec 2006, 14:44

The change to 3D was inevitable, it's today's reality (unfortunately). Even a game like "Civilization" is 3D now.

I agree with igoraki though, Nival should have focused more on gameplay.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Dec 2006, 01:15

well I actually prefer the mechanics of H4 and the gameplay of H3, H5 is good, but IMO not a patch on these two, throw H2 in there as well
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

wallace
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wallace » 19 Dec 2006, 03:47

Actually Heroes V looks worse in 3D, its like stepping backwards.
Going from nice Sprite graphics and beatifully drawn Landscapes to blocky 3D's objects, high system requirments and lag.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 19 Dec 2006, 04:20

3D in H5 did take some getting used to but the 3D seems to have been improved with the expansion, Hammers of Fate. Also in the expansion is the option to use "Heroes Classic View" which makes the camera stationary. This option may help if the 3D twirling & twisting around is annoying to you. :)

But of course, Heroes 4 is my favorite still Heroes game. Then Heroes 3 & 2.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

beegee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby beegee » 19 Dec 2006, 17:40

The problem of 3d is that the new dwellings haven't much charme as earlier games like the orginally heroes of might and magic. But as said above Nival did a great job and now Heroes has one of the best graphics at the moment. The animations and atmosphere are much better than in the older ones.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Dec 2006, 18:36

beegee wrote:But as said above Nival did a great job and now Heroes has one of the best graphics at the moment. The animations and atmosphere are much better than in the older ones.
:lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 20 Dec 2006, 17:01

honestly I don't understand why everybody complains about H5 3D graphics. I find it to be ok... and I don;t think it has a bad impact on gameplay. It just makes the game look good, that's all...

I have nothing against 2d games neither.... I loved all the heroes series...

I believe H5 has bigger problems than the graphics...

Still i would say it is superior to Heroes3 (in almost every aspect), but unfortunately inferior to H4 (IMO)

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 20 Dec 2006, 19:07

Then theres plenty of us that think 4 is inferior to 3 and then we have a closed circle :P

Anyway.. to stay on topic... i think 3d itself is really not a bad thing,... but its weak and not optimized implementation is a problem,.. it causes delay to pretty much every player action taken, slowing the game pace and irritating the players..

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 21 Dec 2006, 07:05

Graphics -> most unimportant element ever IMO

Yes, I think that H4 is better, but it is hard to judge when H4 and H5 are totally different games.

Speaking about H3 and H5, I would say that H5 is NOW better in almost every aspect.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

doom3d
Peasant
Peasant

re:

Unread postby doom3d » 01 Mar 2007, 19:01

My problem with H5 3D is, that I need time to play with the camera..
and I don't want to be a cameraman.
I would concentrate on gameplay: strategy, and tactics.

During my first H5 game I missed 2 mines, and a chest- I didn't find them on the adventure map, until I came back with my hero to replenish mana points.
I am happy with 2D. (OK. King's Bounty doesn't look good.)

And H3/H4 has another advantage: they are cheaper. I will try out this classic view, when H5 Complete comes out. (BTW, I think we will have 3 expansion packs and a mission CD. What is Your opinion?).
At the moment I also don't have the required hardware to have full H5 detail.
GF4MX440+ graphic patch has influence on playability. ;)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Mar 2007, 20:42

Same for me, I even get easy lost on 3d chessboard and what in the game - catastrophe. I like "flat" 3d like was in previous games.

And yes, hardware, that's another problem, well, I guess ati rage edition is out and that's my most modern card. Never need any cooler, supporting even older games (like Dark Omen - Warhammer) :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes I-IV”