Conceptiually best heroes game?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which is the conceptually best Heroes game?

Heroes I
2%
Heroes II
27%
Heroes III
28%
Heroes IV
38%
Heroes V
5%

Total votes: 93

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jan 2007, 20:07

Jolly Joker wrote: 2) Oranges should keep to oranges and apples to apples,
If everyone thought that way i would have never been able to eat puffless peaches. Man i hate that puff.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Jan 2007, 21:07

With all the fruit and vegetable cross-breeding these days, I WISH someone would cross an apple and an orange, just so we dont' have to see that apples and oranges phrase anymore. At least pick two new fruits, people. From now on, it's comparing watermelons and pineapples.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jan 2007, 21:53

Mutant Teenage Orange-Apples. :lol:

Still can't decide between H2 and H4. Guess i'l go with 2, it being behind and all.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 11 Jan 2007, 23:12

So what is the problem you people have? H4's heroes are too strong compared to creatures, or creatures are too strong compared to heroes? Seemingly both. If you load up a scenario in game, you aren't playing anymore just game, you're playing the map. If you can't decide which is the strongest approach to map I'd say you're a poor strategist (even if you've let the map unknown, it's reasonably easy to explore the open map areas fast). And it seems most here have gotten this concept wrong: It's NOT Combat vs Magic at the basics, it's Combat vs TACTICS.

Lots of multiplayer battles are decided usually after player's tactics hero falls, because after it his/her creatures are just that much weaker than his/her opponents.

On the other hand, there are also plenty of maps where going just combat hero (with little magic) is the more efficient path, because A: "There is no time to develop reasonable armies because of the layout/design of the map." or B: "Power-ups, structures even artifacts favour largely combat based hero forces", or usually the both.

And combat skill is not necessary requirement for heroes (especially true with Equilibris), sure it's nice to have but in tough battles vs players you usually should have been able to already got immortality potions. And in battles with neutrals, there's not really that many neutral stacks where it should matter unless it's really tough,where player might have just evaluated the forces wrong and initiated the battle too early.

So in the end, it depends on the map.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jan 2007, 11:58

Humakt wrote:So what is the problem you people have? H4's heroes are too strong compared to creatures, or creatures are too strong compared to heroes? Seemingly both.
Precisly. Based on certain factors one or the either becomes too weak.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 13 Jan 2007, 06:43

ThunderTitan wrote:
Humakt wrote:So what is the problem you people have? H4's heroes are too strong compared to creatures, or creatures are too strong compared to heroes? Seemingly both.
Precisly. Based on certain factors one or the either becomes too weak.
For me, it just adds a strategic depth and desirable diversity to the game.

kitcat0
Scout
Scout

Unread postby kitcat0 » 13 Jan 2007, 12:45

I have very likely already given my opinion in this thread, but I am not sure and I dont feel like looking it through.

For me the best game is Heroes III. I am that kind of person, who appreciates surprise elements and randomness and H III offered a lot of them. I know it can make the game more unbalanced, but also more fun. Pandoras boxes, warriors tombs, dragon utopias, all sort of different places where you could get a random artifact. Plus heroes - I love the fact that every hero is different and unique. I know it makes some of heroes useless, but there are still very many different "playable" heroes, which means there are many different starting tactics. Only thing that I was dissapointed about compared to heroes II was the ultimate artifact. It is boring that it is grail all the time. I loved heroes II concept - certain amount of options and it was always a surprise to find out which one of them you happened to dig up.

I liked also some elements in Heroes IV, like different magic classes. But somehow heroes IV is seems to be a very slow game compared to heroes III - battles last longer, it is not so easy to control a map. On the other hand, it is very tactical game. And pretty balanced game. I dont like the fact that heroes are on battlefield and pretty much invincible (with immortality potions and combat and creatures being able to ressurrect them in towns and life magic spells) I can understand the need for invincible heroes though - after spending a lot of time leveling a hero up, it would be a drag to loose it in battle. That's why they should stay out of battle in my opinion. Another thing that I didnt like was not being able to chain heroes. It made the game less tactical for me.

Deni
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Deni » 13 Jan 2007, 14:02

voted h1

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 19 Jan 2007, 15:10

Heroes III for me. Each faction works well on its own. Different towns have truly unique strategies and the theme music for each faction suits well the atmosphere. Necropolis theme is one of the best town musics ever in the whole Heroes series. So spooky and well... ominous.
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

doom3d
Peasant
Peasant

re:

Unread postby doom3d » 22 Jan 2007, 20:22

Hi,

My favorite is H3 with WoG. Right now I am writing CARAVANS script for H3.
We can emulate a lot of things with ERM. If You say, that H1,2,4, or 5 is better, because it has some new options, we can write them for H3.
I also plan to write a Gating spell, amongst others.. ;)
It also has Commanders- they are something like H4 heroes.
And you can choose, wich game rules you want. Everybody can play with his own game. This modularity grants 1st place.

After that comes H2 for me. It is similar to H3, has a really good feel- just everything on the right place. Do you know about H2 mods? I don't. :(

H5 could be better, but the 3D adventure map with camera handling and not visible treasures go on my nerves. If you could create a mod with 2D adventure map (like H3's) plus 3D battlefields.. PLEASE!! :creative:
The usage of the skill tree could be ok, but not with random skill advancement.
I prefer hexes over cubic battlefield. (ok, it's my personal social problem ;) )
I also have a not supported GF4MX440 card, so I don't see those nice animations, just ugly textures. It also counts. I have heard, that the mapeditor is also complicated.

H4 had a lot of fresh ideas. Unfortunately they have ran out of development time, and released a beta version. After that, they didn't had the chance to introduce major changes. I have played only without the expansions.
Did You noticed, that we have 5 different skills, just to add mana points?
In H3 we had intelligence. Period. It was also problematic, that hero class changes with the last skill advencement. You may change your class at every levelup.. Brr... :devil:

H1. It's nice, but I don't waste my time on it. I have something better.
Biggest problem is the magic system without mana points.

King's Bounty: I haven't tested. ;)

Doom3d

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 24 Jan 2007, 20:39

H3 for me. The storyline rules, and the factions are all really balanced. H4 isn't far behind at all, the combat was spectacular, but I think the H4 story was cheap; they never explained anything going on. H3 campaigns told you what was going on in the H3 world, while H4 campaigns (of course, they're fun) just revolve around the lives of certain people. Also, H4 factions weren't as balanced. Death was clearly at a disadvantage with a lack of good spells and the stupid inferno/undead combo.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 24 Jan 2007, 21:28

CloudRiderX, how was death at a disadvantage? If anything, it had a huge advantage in the imbalanced necromancy skill, which allowed you to produce several vampires after almost every battle. Thankfully, this was remedied with Equilibris.

About death magic, I must say it is my least favourite, but I'm not really sure I would call it inferior to other schools.

And how can the inferno/death mix have been a disadvantage? It just boils down to whether one liked the joint town or not.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2007, 16:08

CloudRiderX wrote:but I think the H4 story was cheap;
Don't you mean stories?

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 12 Feb 2007, 09:17

I voted for HoMM II. Ya, the game is not balanced and everything, but it was the first PC game I played, and I still find it very fun to play.

Here is the list: 1. HoMM II
2. HoMM III
3. HoMM V
4. HoMM I
5. HoMM IV

PS. Visit my topic HoMM II mod, and let's share ideas to make HoMM II mod.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”