HIII -----> Ballistics Skill

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 13 Nov 2006, 14:50

That's why you need Town Portal, and good reconnaisance. Such a situation should not occur that often against the AI, though it very well might against a human player with Dimension Door (or else setting off a Cover of Darkness somewhere - though in this case you should send a scouting hero to uncover the veil again).

Attacking a castle with Mass Haste? It's not that good in my opinion. Sure, you can get your flyers in there before your opponent can react, but what about your walkers? Without the walkers and with your Ranged creatures dealing so low damage, your flyers might suffer tremendously.

But then again, that's why you should never attack a main army in a castle :) If it's a medium-sized army Mass Haste would mean a lot.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 13 Nov 2006, 15:03

Well no one in their right mind would attack a main army castle with a low end army, that's just a lack of intelligence.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Nov 2006, 16:06

Banedon wrote:Attacking a castle with Mass Haste? It's not that good in my opinion. Sure, you can get your flyers in there before your opponent can react, but what about your walkers?
That's where Ballistics would come in...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 13 Nov 2006, 16:10

I'm playing H3 right now and I dont have the ballistic's skill, but I am still assaulting Castles decently.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 14 Nov 2006, 00:16

Attacking a main army in a Castle with another main army is still a dangerous thing...

Gaidal_Cain - Ballistics wouldn't allow you to blow the gate open in the first turn all the time. If you let your opponent move before you burst through most of his creatures, he'd cancel your initiative with Mass Slow...

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 14 Nov 2006, 00:26

So should I assualt with a secondary first then retreat, then attack with my main?

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 14 Nov 2006, 07:10

If your secondary army can cause serious damage to the defending foe, it's not secondary at all and you'll be sacrificing quite a lot. No, don't. What I'd do is:

1. If it's against the AI - just storm the castle, provided you can win without incurring overly heavy casualties. The AI is generally easy enough to overwhelm, so lost creatures here won't matter that much.
2. If it's against another human player - this is the tough part, and it will take quite some patience. Don't assault the castle, wander outside and claim all his mines. He will have no resources other than Gold and will eventually be unable to resist you, though it might take a very long time. Your hero is still free to gain levels as well (if from nothing else, from the Month of the... that happens every month). A human opponent will probably yield before something serious happens, or gather what he can and engage you in a decisive battle on the field. Then it comes down to skill, good luck :)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Nov 2006, 07:15

Banedon wrote:(if from nothing else, from the Month of the... that happens every month)
You mean the week of?Months of are in HIV.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 14 Nov 2006, 07:18

Unless you happen to be up against a throng of several creatures, while 1 stack is sitting at 2k.

kitcat0
Scout
Scout

Unread postby kitcat0 » 14 Nov 2006, 17:30

Banedon wrote:Attacking a main army in a Castle with another main army is still a dangerous thing...

Gaidal_Cain - Ballistics wouldn't allow you to blow the gate open in the first turn all the time. If you let your opponent move before you burst through most of his creatures, he'd cancel your initiative with Mass Slow...
Chances for taking gate down are very good with expert ballistics. Two shots that both have 75% chance of doing it.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Nov 2006, 18:34

Maybe thats what it says,but its not my experience.Its more like 50% from what Ive seen.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 14 Nov 2006, 23:47

Post deleted by Banedon.
Last edited by Banedon on 15 Nov 2006, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 15 Nov 2006, 00:29

Banedon wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:Maybe thats what it says,but its not my experience.Its more like 50% from what Ive seen.
75% * 75% ~ 50%.

Even so, 50% is too low a chance for me to gamble on...
It doesn't quite work like that.
it would be like this, if the 75% per shot condition is true.

75% + (25% * 75%) = 93,75%.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 15 Nov 2006, 01:01

Whoops. I've been making a lot of mathematical mistakes recently :( Deleting that post.

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 14 Dec 2006, 16:31

Um.... from what i have seen in games data files.... chances seem to be more like this..

Every section of fortification has default HP, im pretty sure that walls have 2 HP, not sure for other sections ATM...

AT EXPERT ballistics skill:
2 shots
Each shot has 100% chances that catapult will do 2 points of damage
Targeting a wall has 75% chance to succed
Targeting gate has 40% chance
Targeting tower has 20%
Targeting keep has 10% chance..

AT ADVANCED:
2 shots
Each shot has 50% chances to do 1 point of damage, 50% to do 2 points
Targeting a wall has 60% chance to succed
Targeting gate has 30% chance
Targeting tower has 15%
Targeting keep has 7% chance..

At BASIC:
1 shot
Shot has 50% chances to do 1 point of damage, 50% to do 2 points
Targeting a wall has 60% chance to succed
Targeting gate has 30% chance
Targeting tower has 15%
Targeting keep has 7% chance..

At NONE
1 shot
Shot has 10% chance to miss, 60% s to do 1 point of damage, 30% to do 2 points
Targeting a wall has 50% chance to succed
Targeting gate has 25% chance
Targeting tower has 10%
Targeting keep has 5% chance..

Hoe this makes it clear :))))...
However, those values are pretty easy to edit so if someone wants better balistics skill, just send me PM :)

SO, CHANCES TO HIT GATES with expert ballistics(2 shots) are 40% with one targeting, 64% with two targetings :)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”