Dungeon/Asylum Evolution

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

In which dungeon (asylum) you woudn't mind spending the rest of your life?

H1 Warlock's Fortress
5%
H2 Warlock's Fortress:
45%
H3 Dungeon:
25%
H4 Asylum:
3%
H5 Dungeon:
22%

Total votes: 111

Genesis
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Genesis » 24 Aug 2006, 16:20

The Heroes III Dungeon wins my vote - I just love the layout and style. I like the Heroes I and II ones - the former for the tempestuous sky, the latter for the lovely misty feel. The Heroes V one is confusing and hard to navigate, but otherwise quite good.

The Heroes IV one, however, is - as with all Heroes IV towns - too mismatched and random. Nevertheless, it is one of the best Heroes IV towns...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Aug 2006, 16:26

HoMM II pwns all. :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 24 Aug 2006, 16:34

Genesis and stefan, you're not alone ;)
H3 for me: I just love the architecture of the Mage Guild and the Mana Vortex, the appearance of the Grail building (Guardian of Earth, was it?) and the way the secondary caverns keep filling up with creature dwellings (Minotaur, Manticore, Dragon).

And I guess we can't really complain about the H4 city... it is called Asylum :-D
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Genesis
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Genesis » 24 Aug 2006, 16:41

theLuckyDragon wrote:...the appearance of the Grail building (Guardian of Earth, was it?)
It's the best Heroes III grail building. You don't see it at first... but when you do, it just leaps off the screen at you. I love the bleeding eyes.

:devil:

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 24 Aug 2006, 16:47

Now that I think of it, it really is! Castle has a golden statue, big deal, Rampart a wooden totem, Tower a fancy ship, Stronghold a pointy monument of sorts (IIRC), Fortress a man-eating dandelion ;), Necropolis an obelisk and Conflux some flashy lights.

Dungeon really is best! :-D
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Aug 2006, 16:54

Its not just the best looking grail in HIII,but imo its the best looking grail ever.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 24 Aug 2006, 17:01

nobody likes carnivorous plants! ok they are actually uglier.

yeah i can talk here about fortress again, because there isnt going to be a fortress evolution. imagine the amazing results: 100% vote for h3 because there are no other fortresses! dungeon is closest to fortress because of the hydra. who quite sucked in h5. and to some extent in h4. but thats another story.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Aug 2006, 01:31

i also never payed a great deal of attention to it, but it is a rather nice grail structure, haven't seen all the HV ones yet thou, but i suspect they wouldn't win anyway
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Paladin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Paladin » 25 Aug 2006, 11:07

This is a close race between H2 and H3, but in the end I'd go for the Warlock (H2) town. The mist, the waterfall and the castle gives it a unique atmosphere.

H3 is best of the underground towns. Those huge statues in H5 are just way too unrealistic (and commmercial). In H3, it as though you're actually below ground.
A cat is fine too...

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 26 Aug 2006, 11:18

Agreed, someone got a frog view pic of tha town?

Voted H5, it has the dungeon feeling the one from H3 missed, buildings in stalagtites. I just love things high up into the air (academy) or roof (h5dungeon) it makes me feel smaller and also makes it more impressive.

The H2 warlock fortress comes close second, the memories of it...it felt the most magical and mystical to play with.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Aug 2006, 12:41

Orfinn wrote:Agreed, someone got a frog view pic of tha town?
It wouldn't really work, as the dungeon's main building is also conected to the ground. Of course maybe someone can take a more zoomed out pic.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 08 Sep 2006, 16:48

I voted for the original HoMM as it has a beautiful, dream-like quality about it, as well as the trademark HoMM I animated-creatures-in-front-of-dwellings (well, some of them, at least). I am suprised to be the only person to vote for this version - the first game's cartoonish graphics don't appear to be especially popular among players for some reason.

HoMM 2 closely follows. A classic layout!

I've always been more fond of the above ground warlock castle than its subterranean counterpart, because the latter always felt cramped and gave off a slightly claustrophobic feel. The H5 dwelling looks quite good, nonetheless.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 08 Sep 2006, 16:52

Sorry H5 hands down. Second would be HIII.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Sep 2006, 20:20

Mytical wrote:Sorry H5 hands down.
That's just because you haven't seen that type of town done better. But it is one of the better H5 towns.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 19 Jun 2007, 14:04

I'm not really fond of any of them. H1 and H4 are definitely out. H2's is Ok. H3's is sort of boring, and H5's is too purple.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 19 Jun 2007, 14:07

DaemianLucifer wrote:Its not just the best looking grail in HIII,but imo its the best looking grail ever.
No, that would have to be the Deity of Fire that replaces the sun in the Inferno town. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 19 Jun 2007, 14:26

H3 again, I just loved the upgrades.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 19 Jun 2007, 15:15

Voted Heroes II

Maybe it's just nostalgia but I just love those older towns. They held such a feeling of Fantasy & Magic; which is missing, especially in Heroes V.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 19 Jun 2007, 22:20

HodgePodge wrote:Voted Heroes II

Maybe it's just nostalgia but I just love those older towns. They held such a feeling of Fantasy & Magic; which is missing, especially in Heroes V.
Your forgot the "I" in front of that "V."

Speaking stictly in terms of fantasy and magic, I'll take a floating sky city and a giant tree on a lake over 6 uniformly laid out towns any day.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 19 Jun 2007, 22:35

Bandobras Took wrote:Speaking stictly in terms of fantasy and magic, I'll take a floating sky city and a giant tree on a lake over 6 uniformly laid out towns any day.
Bingo.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Return to “Heroes I-IV”