Heroes Chronicles - thoughts on games as I finish up

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
mrPassenger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes Chronicles - thoughts on games as I finish up

Unread postby mrPassenger » 31 Jul 2006, 14:33

So, I've almost completed the heroes chronicles games, just Sword of Frost remaining.
I have to say, that for a very long time I had dismissed these games as a 'cash-in' product. And while that is true to an extent, I've also really come to be interested in Tarnum, and the stories that go along with these games.

I love the frequent story updates that you get in between turns, ranging from hilarious to heart wrenching. One issue I have with the , is that I usually finish a map long before the maps plot lines get wrapped up.

Is it possible through a hex editor or something to grab all the text from the various missions? Has anyone compiled these?

-mP

berntie
Scout
Scout

Re: Heroes Chronicles - thoughts on games as I finish up

Unread postby berntie » 31 Jul 2006, 19:37

mrPassenger wrote: I have to say, that for a very long time I had dismissed these games as a 'cash-in' product.
Well, that's what they are.
mrPassenger wrote: I love the frequent story updates that you get in between turns, ranging from hilarious to heart wrenching.
Yep, the storytelling is great. Nevertheless, as a full price retail game the chronicles are a rip off.
mrPassenger wrote: Is it possible through a hex editor or something to grab all the text from the various missions?
Cool idea. I think this is gonna be difficult, though.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 01 Aug 2006, 00:14

I don’t remember who or where, but someone had a link to all the text blurbs from the HC games. I’ve just never gotten it to work… :(

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 01 Aug 2006, 02:14

I remember i saved a turn before final battle on each map, then just pressed end turn button until i got all the plot parts :)

They were half the retail price (price of expansion that is) but even that is too much for 8 maps... All 8 episodes would be more fair for that price :)

Story is good, and especialy adding in to h3-h4 transformation (with describing sword of frost and mentioning waerjak in the plot)

Only BIG complaint i had is ridiculous error in third campaing (one with dragons) where in last map, Mutare controls INFERNO????? troops instead of dungeon ones.... Its even worse when you know that campaing is based around defeating mutare and her dragons, and turns out she didnt have even one in her army :)

Chorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Chorus » 10 Aug 2006, 02:30

If the Chronicles are really based on the Heroes III engine, then perhaps you can extract all the campaigns and export the text with resedit. Theoretically, you could also ratchet up the difficulty level too...

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 10 Aug 2006, 02:49

They are h3 engine but if i remember correctly you couldnt play its maps through h3,.. nor you could edit its campaign with h3 editors... there was some error about newer version of editor required or something.... and exporting campaigns and importing them in h3 would lead to game-crash when you start the campaign

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 11 Aug 2006, 05:38

Extracted texts from Tarnum are here

These should be ok. It's also mentioned somewhere else on this forum....
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Chorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Chorus » 12 Aug 2006, 02:49

Pol,

The file saves to disk but doesn't work properly, and I don't feel like joining the yahoo group. Can you upload this file another way?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 12 Aug 2006, 04:55

They cannot save to disk when you didn't join the group, so I see the problem here. ATM I haven't any other web prostor under control so I wouldn't mind to uploading them anywhere else.

PS I recheck the file and it's opened ok for me...
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

berntie
Scout
Scout

Unread postby berntie » 12 Aug 2006, 13:08

Pol wrote:Extracted texts from Tarnum are here
Cool! Thanks.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”