H3 campaign difficulty

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

H3 campaign difficulty

Unread postby reynaert » 25 Jun 2006, 08:19

Good, I've got a question that has been answered long before, but I haven't retrieved the answer.

in ubis homm complete you still can't adjust difficulty settings of the ROE campaigns. What was the workaround for it again?

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 26 Jun 2006, 13:49

*bump*

(not as it should be, but ti wouldn't take too much for someone to answer. )

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 26 Jun 2006, 14:05

reynaert wrote:*bump*
Here's your official warning. The next time someone bumps a topic without adding anything useful, it will be locked.
reynaert wrote: (not as it should be, but ti wouldn't take too much for someone to answer. )
Well if it's not that hard to answer, maybe you could try searching the forums to find it yourself.

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 26 Jun 2006, 15:27

My dear moderator. If checking the forums and finding the answer were so simple, I would have found the answer already.

Now, since it is not so simple, and since I have not found the answer- even though I know it has been featured on some places before, I humbly ask the community to help. Some of them might remember the solution. Since the community doesn't respond, I ask again.

Personally, I did not like bumping this topic. But if it's a way to achieve my goal, so be it. Now, would someone kindly help me, or would someone else lock this thread, therefor showing what a great help a community can be, and how helping others is encouraged?

and if you want to know
I checked celestial heavens and age of heroes and found nothing. Yet it is a known issue and there is a known workaround. It just slips my mind.
also, Ichecked the round tables. I am quite sure it was there before the restart, but now, not.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 26 Jun 2006, 18:01

As far as I know, it's not an "issue", it's just how those campaigns were originally created. It was only with the expansions you could choose difficulty yourself, and I don't think they changed how the RoE ones worked. I might be wrong though.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 26 Jun 2006, 18:10

it suddenly turned 'easy' here, so it's not thàt standard.

as far as I remember, it had something to do with starting regular maps on a certain difficulty level, but that's as far as I remember.

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 26 Jun 2006, 18:29

I've never heard of the option to change the diffuculty for RoE campaigns.
That's not the same as saying nobody found a way, but to my knowledge it's not possible.

Chorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Chorus » 27 Jun 2006, 14:19

Reynaert, I think I know what you're referring to. The answer is from the sadly defunct mmportals.com, whose vestige remains on the wayback machine (web.archive.org). The following quote refers to the walkthrough to the first RoE campaign:
This is the one that begins it all. Even though the game is two(+) years old, I thought this walkthrough might be informative simply because of a bug in the 1.4 which allows you to replay these campaigns at a higher difficulty level. That's right! I don't know about anybody else, but I was bored to tears with the lack of challenge when running through these maps the first time. I nearly quit playing HoMM3 altogether. I then started playing some individual maps on higher levels and got hooked by the challenge. I vowed never to return to these campaigns. So much for my integrity!

On to the bug: Simply start an individual map on Expert or Impossible level, do a turn, then go back to the Main Menu and start a new campaign. The latest difficulty setting overrides the default one (which is novice (pawn) in the first map.) Simple, eh? But the problem is that this only works in RoE 1.4 version, if you have overlaid RoE with the A.B. and/or SoD expansion packs, it won't work. You can re-install RoE again into another directory or partition and then patch it to 1.4. Click OK box for the desktop shortcut, because the "Play" button on the CD start screen may point to your SOD or AB implementation. The shortcut will work though.

This is a short and sweet campaign, but it gets much more challenging at a higher difficulty level. I did not try for a super "speed" score really. I concentrated on maxing out the carryover heroes as much as possible and explored the entire map. You have to remember that speed doesn't count that much in scoring as it did in HoMM2. You are better off conquering all available towns and conquering all enemies, rather than a quick kill or fulfilling a special win condition.

A word of caution before beginning. The bug is truely a bug, in that the town type you start with on the individual map before you start the campaign determines your default heroes throughout every map on all 7 campaigns! I had started with Inferno, so consequently I was constantly getting Inferno heroes hired during the Castle (Catherine's) maps. :-( I learned of this too late, and by the time I figured it out I didn't want to restart. The upshot of this is that it is even more challenging, because your are starting out with heroes whose troops usually will not match the starting towns of a map.
To summarize, you need an older version of the game and you'll be locked into your starting heroes. If I recall, the walkthrough's writer had difficulty in the Necro campaign because no Necromancers or Death Knights were available for hire.

Also, I don't think WoG changes this. Anyway, I don't think you can do this with Heroes III Complete.

Hope this helps.

Mitzah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mitzah » 27 Jun 2006, 14:27

There is a way you could choose your difficulty in ROE campaigns...You need WoG tough and u need to create a patch which would replace the original campaigns with the changed one.
It involves extracting the original campaigns from a .LOD file(can't remember which one it was) and then change their difficulty settings. Then u can make the patch with the modified campaigns.

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 28 Jun 2006, 08:34

thank you very much, it was more or less what I was looking for

so, no difficult campaigns for me eh :(

Return to “Heroes I-IV”