Heroes IV: Rate it!

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

Rate HoMM IV

10 - love it!
19
18%
9
30
28%
8
13
12%
7
13
12%
7
13
12%
6
4
4%
5
2
2%
4
1
1%
3
7
6%
2
1
1%
1 - loathe it!
5
5%
 
Total votes: 108

vhilhu
Druid
Druid
Posts: 862
Joined: 13 Aug 2006

Postby vhilhu » Aug 18 2006, 19:41

AND no fortress faction, that was a big minus for me too.


I bet you hate H5 too then. Join in Ethric flaming club devil


i do hate that thing! but theres still room for it in expansions(yes i know it probably wont happen but i can hope). but whats Ethric?



but the skill system! with homm3 skill system, i would have rated it about 6 or 7. i liked skill choices, but here in homm4 you just didnt get any, only when you found some school.



HOMM3 is (IMO) the worst skill system ever. The only usable skill was Wisdom and others give very little bonuses.
And don't let us forget the advanced classes which is a huge +

yes it was unbalanced and wisdom should have been built-in(in all towns lvl 5 mage guild too! or stronghold and fortress should have had stronger creatures to balance that) but you could choose what you want, that was great. And all heroes should start with 1 stronger magic element instead of learnable skills, that would have been nice too. homm3 skills were unbalanced, but more fun. if you want more balances, take homm2(there were no elements but i dont remember - was there no wisdom too?).



DaemianLucifer wrote:
Sauron wrote:Tied campaigns don't make a good story.


Not true.Look at _crafts.They all have tied campaigns,and are excelent.


_crafts - what is that?

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » Aug 18 2006, 20:14

vhilhu wrote:but whats Ethric?


Not what,but who :D

vhilhu wrote:yes it was unbalanced and wisdom should have been built-in(in all towns lvl 5 mage guild too! or stronghold and fortress should have had stronger creatures to balance that)


Umm...Why?Just because you like magic doesnt mean its the only way.I love magic too,but I think might is as important in heroes.I hate HV for having no true might factions.

vhilhu wrote: but you could choose what you want, that was great.


And you could in HIV as well.It was just that each skill had lot more to be developed than in HIII.

vhilhu wrote: And all heroes should start with 1 stronger magic element instead of learnable skills, that would have been nice too.


Again,why?

vhilhu wrote: homm3 skills were unbalanced, but more fun. if you want more balances, take homm2(there were no elements but i dont remember - was there no wisdom too?).


How come were they more fun?90% of the time I had wisdom,earth,water and/or air,luck and logistic.Pretty dull actually.

vhilhu wrote:
_crafts - what is that?


Warcraft series and starcraft :D

vhilhu
Druid
Druid
Posts: 862
Joined: 13 Aug 2006

Postby vhilhu » Aug 18 2006, 20:20

vhilhu wrote: And all heroes should start with 1 stronger magic element instead of learnable skills, that would have been nice too.


Again,why?


so that there would be no skill problem.

User avatar
Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1543
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Akul » Aug 19 2006, 9:05

Not true.Look at _crafts.They all have tied campaigns,and are excelent.


Ups! I spelled it uncorrectly. Tied campaigns are not required for a good story.

but whats Ethric?


1. Ethric was Sandro's master. Because you don't know that, that means that you never read the story and don't have the right to say which story is good and which is bad

2. An H4 fan and emotional, super hater of H5.

but you could choose what you want, that was great.


Strange. In H4 I can choose whicever skill I want and even play with the combinations. Which game have you played?

Umm...Why?Just because you like magic doesnt mean its the only way.I love magic too,but I think might is as important in heroes.I hate HV for having no true might factions.


He likes USING magic. Those you like to play with mages in game would show little respect to H3 magic system.

so that there would be no skill problem.


There is no skill problem.

BTW, you seem to me like an Hack'and'slash player. Any truth in that?
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid
Posts: 862
Joined: 13 Aug 2006

Postby vhilhu » Aug 19 2006, 11:38

but whats Ethric?


1. Ethric was Sandro's master. Because you don't know that, that means that you never read the story and don't have the right to say which story is good and which is bad

you might be surprised but i dont remember every single character in homm world.

but you could choose what you want, that was great.


Strange. In H4 I can choose whicever skill I want and even play with the combinations. Which game have you played?


you advance your first skill to the max, and have room for just 1 more other skill(because it seems better to me to advance all the way to grandmaster instead of having 5 not advanced skills), most games end before you get the second one to the max too. only in camps with carrion heroes you can get more skills. so its like a combo of 2 skills.

so that there would be no skill problem.


There is no skill problem.


The h3 water/air/earth/fire magic skill being too great problem.

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » Aug 19 2006, 13:01

vhilhu wrote:you advance your first skill to the max, and have room for just 1 more other skill(because it seems better to me to advance all the way to grandmaster instead of having 5 not advanced skills), most games end before you get the second one to the max too. only in camps with carrion heroes you can get more skills. so its like a combo of 2 skills.


Thats not true.Mixing three magic skills gives you a good boost.Having combat so your demonologist will survive longer is also a good thing.Besides,the fact that you cannot max out all of your skills doesnt mean there is no choice.Besides,its much better to have heroes then gods,thats why I hate high level heroes in HIV being so unbalanced.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid
Posts: 862
Joined: 13 Aug 2006

Postby vhilhu » Aug 19 2006, 13:18

this is now not so topic-related but h5 skill-ability system is also quite disturbing. you must all the time keep in mind what you must take with what class to get some important abilities, but its still a lot better than h4, i think. (god praise the one who made the skill wheel on celestialheaven, elseway i would have to have a supermemory :angel: ). i liked homm3-style 3 lev of each skill more than homm4-style 5 lev + 15 lev of each skill, because there was be more diversity.

User avatar
Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1543
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Akul » Aug 19 2006, 18:42

vhilhu wrote:you might be surprised but i dont remember every single character in homm world.


Ethric? You don't remember Ethric?! You'll be soon spamed by Ethric

you advance your first skill to the max, and have room for just 1 more other skill(because it seems better to me to advance all the way to grandmaster instead of having 5 not advanced skills), most games end before you get the second one to the max too. only in camps with carrion heroes you can get more skills. so its like a combo of 2 skills.


Read the bolded letters in your post.
Also, Hero with only one primary skill is in most cases a weak hero.

vhilhu wrote:this is now not so topic-related but h5 skill-ability system is also quite disturbing. you must all the time keep in mind what you must take with what class to get some important abilities, but its still a lot better than h4, i think. (god praise the one who made the skill wheel on celestialheaven, elseway i would have to have a supermemory :angel: ). i liked homm3-style 3 lev of each skill more than homm4-style 5 lev + 15 lev of each skill, because there was be more diversity.


H5 has the most diversity and H3 has the lest which woudn't be a problem if, as I alredy told, the only usable skill wasn't Wisdom. I have played many, many games with H3 and I can tell you that the only important with a H3 hero are his primary skills: Attack, defense, spell power and knowledge. The secondary skills are so unimportant that they don't even deserve to be in-game.

In both H4 and H5, skills are very noticable. In H4 upgrading the skill is also noticable (even the might skills).
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid
Posts: 862
Joined: 13 Aug 2006

Postby vhilhu » Aug 19 2006, 19:37

I have played many, many games with H3 and I can tell you that the only important with a H3 hero are his primary skills: Attack, defense, spell power and knowledge. The secondary skills are so unimportant that they don't even deserve to be in-game.


tactics? offense? defense? 4 * (element) magic? leadership? in wog also scouting and some others? luck? all are useful! what are you talking about?

User avatar
Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1543
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Akul » Aug 19 2006, 20:35

vhilhu wrote:tactics? offense? defense? 4 * (element) magic? leadership? in wog also scouting and some others? luck? all are useful! what are you talking about?


They need WOG to be usefull. I am talking about that that their importance is too small. Why fight a creature to get to Witch Hut when the skill bonuses are easy-to-live-without. In both H4 and H5 you need to think what to take as they may bring you either a heroic victory or a crushing defeat. In H3 you just need to have primary skills high, wisdom, 4 elemental magic and leadership (for troop mixing). All other skills - now worthy of time.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

User avatar
wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight
Posts: 2030
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands

Postby wimfrits » Aug 19 2006, 21:23

Sauron wrote:In H3 you just need to have primary skills high, wisdom, 4 elemental magic and leadership (for troop mixing). All other skills - now worthy of time.


Logistics, wisdom and earth magic are the skills most people agree to be no-brainers.

For the rest, opinions differ. Personally, I'd take tactics, air or water magic, and 3 out of offense, armorer, pathfinding and intelligence.
But I don't think skills are unimportant like you say.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

User avatar
Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury
Posts: 478
Joined: 01 Jul 2006
Location: Lithuania

Postby Meandor » Aug 20 2006, 19:34

1. Ethric was Sandro's master. Because you don't know that, that means that you never read the story and don't have the right to say which story is good and which is bad


Not everyone is hardcore fanatic ho remembers every character in homm world.

homm4-style 5 lev + 15 lev of each skill, because there was be more diversity.


I hated that too. If it was something like 5,3,3,3 then it would have been better, imho of course.
...

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23263
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Aug 20 2006, 20:06

Meandor wrote:Not everyone is hardcore fanatic who remembers every character in homm world.


Blasphamy.... get the pitchforks.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Image

User avatar
Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1543
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Akul » Aug 21 2006, 9:01

Meandor wrote:Not everyone is hardcore fanatic ho remembers every character in homm world.


BLAPSHEMER!! You'll die slowly.

How coudn't I remember Ethric when I fought against him before few days?
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

m9
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 6
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Location: XANTHI-HELLAS

HOMM IV

Postby m9 » Aug 24 2006, 9:33

compared to all the others including HOMM V i definately prefer HOMM IV
I tried HOMM V but I was dissapointed because I was waiting to be like IV in 3d, instead this was like HOMM III, you have to be in the castle to take the creatures!!! that's not progress for a game. I think Ubisoft hasn't tried to upgrade it but only to sell! pity...
m9

User avatar
Paladin
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 148
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Between the keyboard and the chair.

Postby Paladin » Aug 25 2006, 11:24

An 8 from me. Despite the dull AI, imbalances and boring town screens, I truly enjoyed it. New features added, like the caravan, heroless armies, armyless heroes and the skill system makes it worthwhile to play.
A cat is fine too...


Return to “Heroes I-IV”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests