Homm4 Might Makes Right

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Homm4 Might Makes Right

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 01 Apr 2023, 19:47

Might makes Right, Expert

Barbarian scenarios are so difficult to get started that it's just not fun on Champion.

Some character-building thoughts: I chose Life Magic, probably the worst choice. Most of the towns with guilds in the last two scenarios will be necropolis or asylum. No life magic there. They have death and chaos in common, although Order would be a good choice. As for which non-magic skill to work on (besides combat, of course), there is always gold and Dogwoggle almost always fights alone, so tactics doesn't help much, so scouting should be the number 2 non-magic skill.

The Unexpected Prize, Expert, Max 18

I'll try the strategy recommended by Noverlord on Utube.

Week 1, Hired Erica Fade. The plan is for her to gain 2 levels from chests, gaining advanced scouting and advanced stealth. Then she can slip by the guardians of the stronghold in the SE and defeat the tiny garrison. Dogwoggle circled ccw and took a Red Harpy Peak.

Week 2, Dogwoggle claimed a gold mine near the top center of the map. Hired a priest. There is a chest near the north edge of the map that gave Erica her 2 levels. You may need to use the Tree of Knowlege if you are unlucky.

Week 3, Erica finished her trip north and defeated the neutral asylum in the south. Dogwoggle was killed liberating a gold mine on the south edge of the map. Resurrected in the Sanctuary

Week 4, flip-flopping stronghold in the NE. Still not strong enough to beat anything without taking crippling losses.

Week 5, took the central asylum. Traveled south to clear the neutral stack in front of my main asylum. Erica visited ToK to gain Expert Stealth. Now the main army can deal with more important targets while Erica flags mines guarded by level 2 creatures. Opened the border gate.

Week 7, took the last red asylum. War U was very helpful (4 skills for Dogwoggle).

Week 8, I still can't deal with the L3 neutral stacks. Took a stronghold from blue near the center of the map. Took the SW haven. not much to be done there but a good seminary and a Magic Guild. Had to caravan out to escape a very strong Blue Army.

Week 9, Erica Fade slipped in and took another haven from Blue. Took all the Blue Havens. Only the one in the far NW can produce 2+ level creatures. One big Blue army left.

Week 10, Eliminated Blue. Much easier than I expected, faced him outside.

Week 11, Earning experience, Dogwoggle up to L14.

Week 12, Dogwoggle up to L15, now hit the Level-boosters and finish.

I discovered a serious mistake I made when I first crossed into the west half of the map. There is a Cyclops Cave and a Harpy Peak that appear to be guarded by intimidating neutral stacks. You can actually claim the creature sites without engaging the stacks that seem to be guarding.

Week 13, Dogwoggle earned L18 in the Coliseum of Might. Defeated Adram Blacksword @ 4,1,7. Trivial battle. Dogwoggle was L18 with a L16 General, L16 Paladin, 48 Cyclops, 78 Ogre Magi, 226 harpies and 356 centaurs. With Precision and Bless and lots of morale, AB never scored any damage.

Dogwoggle had 29 skill steps with 18 in combat.

Allies Lost, Max 28, Expert, here are excerpts from my journal.

Week 1, hired an Order Lord.

Week 2, hired a necromancer. Took southern necropolis.

Week 3, took the 3rd underground necropolis. Hired a death knight.

Week 4, went through the tunnel and took the SE stronghold. My first arsenal! Blue attacking underground through the portal. Started giving all chests to Dogwoggle.

Week 5, Took the stronghold beyond the Pink Portal.

Week 6-7, Blue continues to annoy, I'm building support armies to defend. Error, sent Dogwoggle back underground to use the whirlpool. Can't get to it, lots of time wasted. The northern stronghold built a shipyard, sent two out to explore.

Week 8, sent Dogwoggle back above ground. Took to the sea. Sea Monsters aren't so easy w/o Mirth.

Week 9, landed in the SW corner, took a Blue asylum. This is the only way to reach the western land mass.

Week 10, took the other Blue asylum. Then the Teal asylum. Controlled all towns.

Week 12, recaptured the southern Necropolis twice.

Week 13, think I have defeated all enemy heroes (except Carsas Blacksword). Time to go hunting Sea monsters to see how high Dogwoggle can go. There's a blue ship roaming about.

I'm confused, sometime when the Sea Monsters attack Dogwoggle, he gets the first shot (GM Melee) and they run from fear, but sometimes he doesn't get the first shot. Why. I understand not allowing them to wedge into a space where they can't retreat, that's not it.

Week 15, Blue Eliminated. Running out of ways to earn xp. So close, 3737 xp short of L26. Sigh, heading for the 2 Level-up sites.

Week 16, Whew, found a shipwreck with 132 Water Elementals, that did it! Dogwoggle reached L28 after the Coliseum and Tree of Knowledge.

Week 17, Won (5,1,5), easy battle, had shipped all my best creatures to nearby town.

The Uncivil War, Expert, unlimited, some excerpts from my journal:

Dogwoggle only used creatures for speed or, in one case, decoys. My initial thought is to try to earn one level via battles and then start using the level boosters as convenient. There are 7, contrary to my 2018 post.

Week 1, Took the necropolis in the SW corner on day 3.

Week 2, one H&R needed on the Efreeti guarding the gold mine. Took the Purple necropolis. Purple eliminated. Efreeti were the only creatures that caused Dogwoggle serious concern. That darned Fire Shield!

Week 3, took the Teal asylum, eliminated Teal. Hired a thief and an Order Lord.

Week 4, took 2 Green asylums, Green eliminated.

Week 5, Blue in my territory. I captured neutral asylum near map center. Lost my southern asylum to Blue and took it back. Dogwoggle reached L29.

Week 6, took Blue's last town. Lost and recovered my central asylum. Blue has got to be about done.

Week 8, Blue finally out. (His last few wandering creatures stole some chests).

Week 9, Defeated Pratlen Blacksword. I took his city first. The first battle with Blacksword didn't go well. I got a poor roll and didn't kill him before he got a turn. He cancelled my Immortality and then his creatures pounded Dogwoggle to death. But Blacsword had no prison and Dogwoggle's body was within the city and was resurrected. Blacksword had my artifacts, but I had eliminated enough of his creatures that the second attempt went smoothly.

Recovered the Tiger Helm @ 3,1,5. Dogwoggle was a L36 Ranger with expert Life Magic but a pathetic selection of spells.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Homm4 Might Makes Right

Unread postby Pol » 04 Apr 2023, 07:38

Thanks! That's part of Gathering Storm and we don't have it covered, it seems. Whoa, need to check.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes I-IV”