The World Tree H3 converted to H4)

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

The World Tree H3 converted to H4)

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 28 Jun 2022, 21:51

The World Tree Playing on Expert

This is a H4 Campaign converted from H3. I offer a journal of my journey through the campaign.

A Distant Cry, (max 8)

There are 10 Learning Stones, 300 xp short of L8. The three necropolises are all underground behind connecting portals of the same color as that enemy player. They all came above ground in week 6 and I was the only target on the surface. Made for some interesting maneuvers.

Week 1, My Order Lord got 5000 xp for fleeing. He was producing 300g/day on day 3. Captured my Sawmill and Ore Pit. There are 3 Learning Stones within easy reach from my town so Order Lords will pay off quickly.

Week 2, opened access to 2 more Learning Stones, 1st Order Lord reached L8 and hired a 2nd Order Lord.

Week 3, hired Fiona (death knight). Now producing nomads and cyclopes. Liberated the Gold Mine in the SE.

Week 4, Tarnum maxed

Week 5, Fiona Maxed, Behemoth production

Week 6, All three opponents invaded at the same time. After several uses of my time machine, I finally got Teal to attack me in my castle and crushed him. Those 19 cyclopes on a turret really pack a punch.

Week 7, One of my Order Lords got 2 levels when she was attacked and fled. My town is finished. An Order Lord snuck up on Teal and took their town. I have no access to magic thus far. I need to hire a necromancer and bring him forward to the next scenario.

Week 8, my thief went from L4 to L8 while fleeing. Lost the necropolis before I could recruit. Returned with my big army and eliminated Teal.

Week 9, Red took out Green. I took the original Red town. Now circulating a necromancer through Learning Stones and stat plus up sites.

Week 10, Necromancer almost ready. Took the last necropolis on 3,3,6. I had 7 L8 heroes. The first time I fought the last battle the computer selected my thief to go forward. That would have been my last choice. I didn't know the criteria, so I deleted all my L8 heroes but Tarnum, Finona and Paskovich

The first attempt the battle was not easy so this time I poisoned the enemy general and the 147 imps. Then I cast Curse, Disrupting Ray and Weakness on all the other enemy stacks. I animated imps to bang on the gate and take the first shot at the enemy large stacks (14 Bone Dragons and 20 Vampires) to absorb the retaliation. Much easier!!

Won on 3,3,6 and Paskovich went forward. Paskovich picked up the spells from the magic guild in the last town even though I went straight to the victory screen without ever opening the town window.

Senseless Destruction (MAX 12)

Week 1, I took the 3000g, 60 berserkers joined, claimed my ore pit and sawmill. Couple of 40 vampire stacks, not ready yet. Reached one Learning Stone. Need to breach one of the garrisons.

Week 2, Took the SE garrison, and a lightly defended town nearby along with a second Learning Stone. Moved on to the NW garrison, there's another Learning Stone. Crystal is a problem. My only mines are ore, wood and sulfur.

Week 3, I captured another easy town. The Thieves Guild tells me I'm slightly ahead on income, even on towns and woefully behind on armies. Defeated the SW garrison, this one was tougher. Looks like most of the rare resource mines are here. Up to 5 Learning Stones now. I think my main army will be undead. I have 5 Order Lords, a death knight and Tarnum and Paskovich (L11).

Week 4, All done but the two huge stacks of Vampires!? Producing Vampires in 2 towns and Bone Dragons in one. Xerxon finished his schooling.

Week 5, 29 Vampires guarding the gold mine. Killed 8 before retreating. Second shot, Tarnum, Paskovich and Xerxon took the other 21 Vampires! Still buying Order Lords at every opportunity. Ugh, 53 Vampires at the Portal!!!

Week 6, defeated the Vampires using 3 hit and run attacks. The next obstacle is a garrison with 17 Venom Spawn at the gate. They knocked out Tarnum twice, one shot each. Not to mention 3 Dark Champions, 17 Vampires and 4 other stacks! Where is that time machine?

Week 7, spent the whole week marching troops to gather near the tough garrison. Sent 6 heroes and one ghost in for hit and run attacks every other day, very slow progress. According to the Thieves Guild my army is about 80% of the Red Army.

Week 8, My hit and run team knocked out all but a company of zombies and scores of skeletons. Finished the garrison and took the nearby town with my assembled army, 18 Bone Dragons, 19 Cyclops, 34 Vampires and 85 Harpies.

Week 9, took my 5th town (out of 6). Delayed to allow Tarnum and Paskovich to pick up the remaining bonuses. Both got Order Magic from the Magic School. There are a total of ten Learning Stones, my 12 Order Lords are contributing 6,980g a day, plus other benefits.

Week 10, Red took back one town, then I took his other. Red is no threat, started a final tour to pick up some useful order spells.

Won on 3,4,3. Picked up some handy order spells, Precision, Blur, Displacement and Dispel. The computer elected to take Xerxon forward so I had to go back and dismiss him before the last battle so Paskovich would go forward.

The World Within (max 18)

Week 1, Tarnum and Paskovich split up for day one and each took out 100 wolves, securing my ore pit and sawmill. Paskovich had an interesting battle casting Fatigue, Poison and Summon Ghosts to age the wolves. Now there were many ways to win, I chose Aura of Fear and Vampiric Touch as the quickest. They joined up to take out two groups of 30 Ogre Magi on day two gaining a Gold Mine and a Sulpher Mine. These battles are really using a lot of Paskovich's mana.

I have one each of mines for rare resources. I've found no Learning Stones, so Order Lords may take nearly 4 weeks to break even. My continuing problem is replenishing mana for Paskovich.

Week 2, finished everything but the Venom Spawn guarding the Crest of Valor and the Thunderbirds guarding the portal. Hit the VS with 2 H&R attacks, one more should do it. The best creature I am producing is the Cyclops.

Week 3, finished off 6 VS and 111 zombies with Tarnum, Paskovich and a L1 Order Lord. Now for the Thunderbirds. Tarnum and Paskovich took out 17 TBs but Paskovich died. Another 17 TBs on the other side of the portal. Broke through, finally a Learning Stone and some stat bonuses.

Week 4, 24 Cyclops guard Unnatural Armor, don't think I have a chance w/o a real army or several PoI. Day 1,4,2 was a busy day! Took Mersch, Blue's real army elsewhere. Surprised this town isn't as well built as mine! Attacked and barely defeated a Blue Army, then on Blue's turn their real army attacked my two heroes, barely got away but inflicted major casualties. Came back and took the main Blue, town then the rest of the Blue armies. Just need to visit the Arena and finish.

Week 5, went back to kill the 24 Cyclops for the xp. Won at 2,1,3. Both heroes made L16. Never used any creatures except for movement or decoys.

The Roots of Life (Max L22)

Week 1, took the NE garrison, beat the 16 Thunderbirds (losing Paskovich who was relayed back home). Sixteen TBs (2 sets) not a problem now. Message: Druid to Join. ??? Wise use of the Summon Ghosts spell is very important.

Week 2, Huge bonus on 1.2,4! Caught a Blue army in my space, the heroes escaped.

Week 3, eliminated Red and Blue and took an underground Necropolis. My three towns are built out, time to started adding creatures to my army. Tarnum and Paskovich are L19, my death knight is only L8. I don't think I will reach the max!

Week 4, 26 TBs guarding an underground Gold Mine. Tarnum and Paskovich managed a win. Paskovich used Hand of Death to take out 10 of them. On 1,4,5 Nilidon (druid) joined - not. Reached a gate to reach Targor if I have the Crystal of Memory. I'm going back to fight the Dark Champions and hit the ToK before I enter here.

Week 5, The last battle on 2,1,7 was bloody, lost all my troops but for one cyclops. Tarnum and Paskovich made L20, Jarvis (General) L11. I had a Library I could have gotten extra skills from. You have to have 2 skills (not sure the "4th" skill counts) in a discipline to use the Library so only Paskovich was able to use the Library. My 7 Order Lords were tithing 4500g/day at the end (there were 11 Learning Stones).

Rebirth

Well, here is Nilidon, L22 Beastmaster with a nice selection of Nature and Life spells. If I had known that I could have steered some of Jarvis' xp to Tarnum and Paskovich. I took the resources, confident that my heroes can win the battles for a while. Morale will be a mess.

Week 1, day 1, each hero captured a sawmill and an ore pit. Built 3 Town Halls. Combined my heroes (Nilidon retreated). The Venom Spawn and Vampires are still difficult, but I can do it.

Week 2, Got the Legend of the Statue of Legion. Recovered the Legs. Loins in the NE near a Library, Torso in the NW near 2 schools and the Arms in a small cavern to the East protected by Bone Dragons and Vampires.

33 Bone Dragons guarding a tunnel in the N Central.

Week 3, Looks like the northern stronghold got a bonus of recruits on Day 1. Found the Library, protected by 23 Dark Champions. Nip and tuck, Nilidon's WEs held off two stacks but the other almost got Paskovich. Mana is a problem. I think I got the Legs from a hundreds of zombies.

Head of Legion in SW near Gold Mine.

Week 4, all three towns producing Cyclops. Still pressing on with just the three heroes in battles. Won the Torso of Legion. Won gold mine in SW (92 Vampires)

Week 5, All 3 towns producing Thunderbirds, time to start buying troops. TBs with Aura of Fear or Snake Strike could be powerful. Hired a death knight and one more Order Lord (12th). Spent the week clearing wandering armies while building up my troops.

Week 6, lost 4/15 TBs taking out 30 Bone Dragons. Three heroes and 11 TBs against 80 Vampires, worked out better not to use the TBs. Won the Arms of Legion.

Week 7, Got a free frenzied gnasher in my home city, must be the benefit of collecting all the parts of Legion. Got back to the Bone Dragons guarding the tunnel. There are 42 now, they will destroy my 13 TBs and 16 Cyclops! Tried again with just my three heroes and won losing only one PoI! 33 Behemoths were a piece of cake after the Bone Dragons. My Aura of Fear and Vampire Touch make most battles against living troops much easier.

Week 8, Took out Lethe in the SE corner. Big army but they wouldn't come out and that gave me all the time I needed to get set up for battle. Doubt I could have taken them on an open field. Met a L30 General with 13 BDs, 22 Vampires, 82 ghosts, 45 zombies, 396 skeletons and 324 imps. I had 16 TBs and 16 Cyclops. Lost 1 TB and 9 Cyclops. Took a weak force defending the central necropolis. I seem to have this under control but there is over half of the underground unexplored.

Week 9, Banging out easy fights to finish exploring the underground.

Week 10, Anticlimactic, rolled up on the last Red town with my three heroes and 15 TBs. Took out the town and the last two red armies without casualties. Won at 3,2,5. Never got my death knight to the main force though I did give him TBs and harpies enough to clear the caravan routes.

The key move was to start a necromancer early and make sure to bring him forward to every new scenario.

Fun but not hard enough. The penultimate scenario was too easy and the last scenario was way too easy. I suspect that if I hadn't developed and brought forward Paskovich the last two would have been challenging.

Thanks, again.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Re: The World Tree H3 converted to H4)

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 29 Jun 2022, 19:42

Another thorough playthrough, thanks for the notes!

Return to “Heroes I-IV”