Heroes 4 The Restoration of Axeoth

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Re: Heroes 4 The Restoration of Axeoth

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 24 Mar 2022, 15:38

cjleeagain wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 15:15 Just gotta say, tweaking the cost of upgrades is a brilliant idea.

This will definitely greatly reduce the number of Evil Sorceresses if the gamer wants a serious challenge.

That said, I should add that if your scenarios require Evil Sorceresses to win, do mention it to the player.
Evil Sorceresses have unique qualities that can impact game balance.
First, they can cast Mass Slow.
Second, they can cast Mass Cancellation.
Third, they can teleport and attack enemies anywhere, thereby acting as assassins of enemy heroes.

These abilities may be absolutely necessary for fighting some battles.

Good point about making sure to mention it! We probably want a sort of readme for each campaign, and that would definitely be the place to list out the way the upgrade mechanic works.

They weren't supposed to be required in order to win this campaign, but the AI enhancement scripts have been working so well that either the player might need a boost, or the AI enhancing scripts could potentially need to be toned down, lol :)

Either way, the player definitely needs to be made aware that this upgrade is available.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 11 Apr 2022, 18:22

Just a quick update: work still continues on H4 Chronicles. Right now both The World Tree and The Fiery Moon have been put together and are ready for testing.

Currently I've been spending a LOT of time with The World Tree working on balance issues with the AI. I'm working to figure out the best amount of resources to give the AI since they have continually been smoking me like a cheap cigar.

I've gotten all the way down to not even giving the AI extra gold each turn (tried giving them as little as 1k per turn to simulate an extra gold mine). There are just additional things I need to start learning to account for, such as number of towns the AI controls vs. what the player controls, etc.

I might even need to give the AI less non-gold resources, but we'll see.

Anywhoo, I'll try to have The World Tree out the door soon at least!

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 13 Apr 2022, 10:28

iLiVeInAbOx05 wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 05:50
cjleeagain wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 04:23 OK, from now on I will only use this post: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 69#p385888 which should be where the updated maps are?

Yep! The post at the top of this thread will have all products we release :)

cjleeagain wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 04:23 but now how do I replay Map 2? Do I just download and stick these in the folders?

I don't want to replay map 1, yet I want my savegames/ hero builds to carry over to map 2.

Alternatively (better), I would just like to replay my last savegame on map 2, so that the level 10 Fireguard does not pick up the scarab or is unable to flee. (Either option is fine with me since I only need the scarab to win; there is no mission objective to defeat that level 10 Fireguard.)

[BTW I tried downloading and putting the campaign in my folder, then reloading my last savegames, and it didn't work. The enemy hero continued to flee at the slightest opportunity, meaning I can't get the scarab no matter what and therefore cannot finish the mission.]

I would remove or save over the old campaigns that you have so you don't end up having a bunch of different versions floating around.

And that's a good question about not wanting to replay maps you already played. All I know to do is to replay the previous maps, which I admit is annoying. I've thought about making some sort of save editor, but something easier would be to use cheats.

I would start the first map and buy my second hero, then use nwcthoth to level them to max level for the map, and then nwcvalhalla to move on. One thing to consider now is that we're only allowing Tarnum and one hero to carryover instead of two additional heroes, since heroes taking part in battles really makes the game easier.

Ok so I'm 2 months late, sorry. I do believe its possible to update the 2nd map in the folder, and restart that map if you have a save file from the end of the first map.
Normally all changes will update if the map is restarted, as any save files will keep the data stored in the save file.
But I usually test each map individually, the Mudgeon way, Derrick ;) Perhaps something to consider when testing future maps, so players dont have to replay all scenarios..

Also great to see the amount of progress in this project. Cudos to iLiVe, ByteBandit and the rest of the team
Last edited by Karmakeld on 18 Apr 2022, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 14 Apr 2022, 08:00

oh man this is awesome! well done guys!!! :)
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 14 Apr 2022, 16:51

Blake wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 08:00 oh man this is awesome! well done guys!!! :)

Thanks Blake! There's a lot more planned that we just need to get to doing :)

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 15 Apr 2022, 10:42

Awesome.. The Chronicles are so underrated IMO. I particularly loved Revolt of the Beastmasters and especially Master of the Elements & Clash of the Dragons as they both gave us a chance to enjoy all the awesome HoMM3 addon content one more time (eg Conflux faction, elemental plane terrains and super dragons).

So playing a HoMM4 variant of them will be interesting and cool.. I can imagine it was quite the challenge for you guys considering HoMM4's faction differences. Eg when I load up your conversion of Conquest of the Underworld's first mission I see a Griffin sanctuary near by my starting position. In HoMM3 that's a slam dunk to go for but in HoMM4 that's a different factions unit.. so do I sacrifice a unit slot that could be used by my own faction or do I still go for the griffins as they might help clear out the opening area and then throw them away later. I can imagine that is but one example of the different strategic decisions a player will be faced with that they didn't have in the original which makes it a fascinating and different experience making the Chronicles a gift that keeps giving! :)
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 15 Apr 2022, 20:57

Blake wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 10:42 Awesome.. The Chronicles are so underrated IMO. I particularly loved Revolt of the Beastmasters and especially Master of the Elements & Clash of the Dragons as they both gave us a chance to enjoy all the awesome HoMM3 addon content one more time (eg Conflux faction, elemental plane terrains and super dragons).

For real! Heroes Chronicles is definitely my favorite as far as the story. Just love them and bringing them to H4 just makes me happy. We are also going to do a mini-mod version which makes me even happier, haha ;)

Blake wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 10:42 So playing a HoMM4 variant of them will be interesting and cool.. I can imagine it was quite the challenge for you guys considering HoMM4's faction differences. Eg when I load up your conversion of Conquest of the Underworld's first mission I see a Griffin sanctuary near by my starting position. In HoMM3 that's a slam dunk to go for but in HoMM4 that's a different factions unit.. so do I sacrifice a unit slot that could be used by my own faction or do I still go for the griffins as they might help clear out the opening area and then throw them away later. I can imagine that is but one example of the different strategic decisions a player will be faced with that they didn't have in the original which makes it a fascinating and different experience making the Chronicles a gift that keeps giving! :)

There were definitely many such challenges. We convert the maps from H3 to H4 using the Advanced Options Map Editor, which has a lot of H3 objects and units mapped from H3 to H4, but there is still quite a bit that we have to take into account after the initial conversion.

As far as Conquest of the Underworld, that particular Griffin dwelling you mentioned is actually needed since there is a quest guard that requires 11 or so Griffins to pass, haha! Much easier in H3 to acquire those Griffins since you have an in town dwelling and are already probably recruiting them each week, but not so in H4. The growth is pretty slow, so we also added a quest hut where you can by a decent about of them to help fulfill the quest :)

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 17 Apr 2022, 07:22

mini-mod version? As in like modding/changing some HoMM4 engine stuff to better fit Chronicles needs?

ahh of course there ya go.. I guess that helps make the decision on using griffins still haha. It's been 20 years so I'd loooooong forgotten gate requirements haha. :)

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 17 Apr 2022, 18:42

Blake wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 07:22 mini-mod version? As in like modding/changing some HoMM4 engine stuff to better fit Chronicles needs?

I call it a mini-mod version because it will only require an h4r file placed in the Data folder, but these are some of the things we plan to include:

- New main menu background, either one of the Heroes Chronicles main menus or maybe something custom
- Make each of the campaigns playable through the game menus (override TGS and WoW)
- New campaign selection backgrounds and use the H3 campaign prologue splashscreens for the H4 campaign splash screens
- Use the H3 prologue voiceovers for the H4 voiceovers
- H3 Terrain objects, such as those found in Masters of the Elements (elemental terrains) and Conquest of the Underworld (Evil Fog)

Those are the big ones off the top of my head!

Blake wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 07:22 ahh of course there ya go.. I guess that helps make the decision on using griffins still haha. It's been 20 years so I'd loooooong forgotten gate requirements haha. :)

Haha yeah we ran into several of these types of things where the creature was either available in the player's town or in one of the enemy's and needed to improvise a bit :)

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 18 Apr 2022, 07:39

iLiVeInAbOx05 wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 18:42 - Make each of the campaigns playable through the game menus (override TGS and WoW)
- New campaign selection backgrounds and use the H3 campaign prologue splashscreens for the H4 campaign splash screens
- Use the H3 prologue voiceovers for the H4 voiceovers
YES!!! I was totally hoping you'd say that as it feels a bit weird seeing the HoMM4 stuff before each mission.
iLiVeInAbOx05 wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 18:42 - H3 Terrain objects, such as those found in Masters of the Elements (elemental terrains) and Conquest of the Underworld (Evil Fog)

Those are the big ones off the top of my head!
Oh man.. that would be EPIC! Good luck!!! :)

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 14 May 2022, 03:16

Took me longer than I intended, but The World Tree is now available for download in the original post!

Still figuring out optimal settings for AI enhancement, so some of these maps are a bit more difficult.

I will likely make The Fiery Moon available for download without doing a play through myself, as my time is currently very limited, so feedback there will be appreciated :D

Edit. Added The Fiery Moon as well to the original post.

FallenIntoDream
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FallenIntoDream » 14 May 2022, 21:05

Hello! First time posting, and perhaps posting a silly question, but what mod or something like that does The World Tree require to run? In the game it says it's modded, and it won't run. This is a little odd, 'cause The Fiery Moon works fine and it doesn't say it's modded. Am I missing something?

Btw, absolutely loved previous campaigns, although, in Warlords of The Wasteland run into a bug where the last scenario wouldn't end after capturing Castle Steelhorn and even after eliminating all of the bots. Maybe it was an outdated version?

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 20 May 2022, 23:09

Thank you for your efforts, It has given an old man hours of fun.

I downloaded and played
Warriors of the Wasteland
Master of the Elements (though I've been told I had a version prior to correction of a bug with a Keymaster Tent)
Conquest of the Underworld

I downloaded The One Tree and when I tried to play I got a message that the file is bad. Unlike the others the name when I attempt to start a new scenario is preceded with the word Modded.

I downloaded the Firey Moon and it loaded successfully.

Is there something different I should do with the One Tree.

Is there place I could make a small donation in support of these efforts?

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 22 May 2022, 00:16

FallenIntoDream wrote: 14 May 2022, 21:05 Hello! First time posting, and perhaps posting a silly question, but what mod or something like that does The World Tree require to run? In the game it says it's modded, and it won't run. This is a little odd, 'cause The Fiery Moon works fine and it doesn't say it's modded. Am I missing something?

Btw, absolutely loved previous campaigns, although, in Warlords of The Wasteland run into a bug where the last scenario wouldn't end after capturing Castle Steelhorn and even after eliminating all of the bots. Maybe it was an outdated version?

Ugh, sorry about that! I have two versions of the map, one that is WoW compatible, and one that requires additional objects (from Karmakeld's object package). This second version is what will be used for the mini-mod version of H4 Chronicles, and sometimes I upload the wrong version, even though they are in completely different folders.

The World Tree is fixed now, apologies!

Wheeler Dealer wrote: 20 May 2022, 23:09 Thank you for your efforts, It has given an old man hours of fun.

I downloaded and played
Warriors of the Wasteland
Master of the Elements (though I've been told I had a version prior to correction of a bug with a Keymaster Tent)
Conquest of the Underworld

I downloaded The One Tree and when I tried to play I got a message that the file is bad. Unlike the others the name when I attempt to start a new scenario is preceded with the word Modded.

I downloaded the Firey Moon and it loaded successfully.

Is there something different I should do with the One Tree.

Is there place I could make a small donation in support of these efforts?

Super glad you have been enjoying these campaigns! We love the feedback, and I still owe you a response to your super in depth reviews!

As I mentioned just above, I botched the upload for The World Tree and uploaded the modded version (thanks to both of you for pointing it out so I could fix it!).

There isn't anywhere to donate anything since we do this for our love of the game, as well as everyone else's :) If you wanted to donate something, I think your feedback on these campaigns is all we would ask for. Having people help us test these campaigns is HUGE and super appreciated!!! If something seems broken, or maybe too easy / difficult for your chosen difficulty, your thoughts on what you think would help would be amazing (you may have given this kind of feedback in your reviews, I've just been extremely pressed for time and haven't given them the in depth look that they deserve!).

So keep up the testing and reviews, it's super helpful!! Maybe a play through and review of The Fiery Moon next? I haven't had the chance to go through it yet to make sure it's playable and can be beaten (AI enhancing scripts are no joke!).

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 02 Jun 2022, 03:03

I think I'm near the end of the Fiery Moon (Vorr the Insane in progress). I may have overdone my comments. It's more like a journal, giving pertinent details at the end of each week.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 02 Jun 2022, 15:10

Wheeler Dealer wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 03:03 I think I'm near the end of the Fiery Moon (Vorr the Insane in progress). I may have overdone my comments. It's more like a journal, giving pertinent details at the end of each week.

Awesome! Can't wait to read it!

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 07 Jun 2022, 21:11

I Certainly appreciate your efforts and don't mean to complain. Maybe I misunderstood something. I Completed Fiery Moon and went back to get the corrected World Tree.

I went to the original post in this thread. I used this link https://www.celestialheavens.com/homm4/ ... 20Tree.h4c

After downloading the file I deleted all copies of the previous file and then copied this file into my maps folder. When I selected the file from the Scenarios It once again had the word Modded imbedded in the name and gave me and error message when I tried to start the scenario.

Am I doing something wrong? If I can figure out how to do a screen shot I'll show you (Win 10)

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 07 Jun 2022, 21:41

Wheeler Dealer wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 21:11 I Certainly appreciate your efforts and don't mean to complain. Maybe I misunderstood something. I Completed Fiery Moon and went back to get the corrected World Tree.

I went to the original post in this thread. I used this link https://www.celestialheavens.com/homm4/ ... 20Tree.h4c

After downloading the file I deleted all copies of the previous file and then copied this file into my maps folder. When I selected the file from the Scenarios It once again had the word Modded imbedded in the name and gave me and error message when I tried to start the scenario.

Am I doing something wrong? If I can figure out how to do a screen shot I'll show you (Win 10)

Hmm, that's really weird.. I'll be home in a couple of hours and will take a look. I swear I uploaded the correct one and it didn't have "modded" in the title, but maybe I messed it up again? We'll get it figured out!

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 08 Jun 2022, 03:14

Wheeler Dealer wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 21:11 I Certainly appreciate your efforts and don't mean to complain. Maybe I misunderstood something. I Completed Fiery Moon and went back to get the corrected World Tree.

Hmm, so I just downloaded the map at the link in the original post and it was not the modded version.. Maybe something old that was cached?

Try this google drive link. Let me know if this one works!

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 08 Jun 2022, 12:07

Thanks, I appears that this one will work. I've got the game started.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”